Thread: Friend Renting My Condo Had Massive Heart Attack and Died Last Night

Load Metric

Friend Renting My Condo Had Massive Heart Attack and Died Last Night

My friend Phil had been renting my condo for the last two years. We were relatively close. Not best buds or anything but would grab an occasional meal, text or talk at least once a week, and I would usually see him at least twice a month.

This morning I got a call from his best friend telling me that Phil had a massive heart attack last night and died before paramedics could get there.

He was middle aged, a smoker, and around 30 pounds over weight but I didn't see this coming. I last saw him on Monday. I had some BBQ for memorial day with my dad and went over to the condo to get something out of a storage until I have there.

He told me this story; He had called his brother who he had been estranged from for over 10 years earlier in the day. He said "Brandon, we're both getting older in age and we don't have much longer to live. I'd hate for one of us to die before we made things right"

They talked for over an hour. He said the conversation went well. I gave him a hug and told him I would talk to him soon.

Last night at 4am, he apparently started having chest pains. He called a mutual friend (who lives 30 minutes away) and asked him to come over. He didnt call 911. Our friend started calling Phil while he was driving over. No answer. He then called 911 himself. When he got there, 911 had taken the hinges off my door to gain entry and found Phil dead. They attempted to revive him but I was told paramedics knew he was dead and not coming back but that this was protocol they had to follow.

His brother is flying in today from Cali with his wife to identify the body and take care of his affairs.

I am supposed to play the circus at 7pm today. Initially I wasn't going to. But after talking to my dad and some friends I am probably better off playing instead of staying home and thinking about this and grieving and just getting more depressed.

I need some advice if anyone can offer it. All the bills were in his name. How do I go about transferring them back into mind? Actually just the power. The cable can just be cancelled. Do I need a death certificate? I can only think you can't just call and say "hey so and so died, please turn off their utilities"

Also, he had a lot of stuff at my house that I know no one will want. Clothes, trinkets, etc. Would salvation army pick it all up when the time is right?

I am just overwhelmed. I got my cry out of the way. And the only way I can function is to start thinking ahead to all that needs to be done.

Going to head out soon and try to eat something before circus starts at 7pm. Will update on twitter.

GS

ZoD

Comments

big dick: sorry for your loss

OSA: who are we kidding, you have no soul or feelings

gauchojake: valar morghulis

Load Metric
    Sorry for the loss buddy. I think Salvation Army will take everything almost.

Comments

sonatine: better suggestion than mine.

Drexel: Thank you SK

Load Metric
    Fucking horrible, Im sorry man.

If you have a deposit from him, you would use that to hire someone to haul his belongings, clean the apartment, so on. Consider reaching out to the brother if possible and finding out if he wants a say in how that gets dealt with, he may want to have some sort of sale to cover the notoriously awful expenses associated with this sort of thing.

Utilities.. I'm not sure about... but obviously a phone call to them should shed some light on it.

Again, condolences. Gecmis olsun my friend.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Terrible story.

The only bright side is that he was able to make things right with his brother before he passed. This doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. Perhaps his body knew there was something wrong, and sent his brain a signal to mend the relationship with his brother before he was gone. This isn't far fetched, as animals such as dogs often know when they are about to die, and attempt to hide to spare their owners the grief of finding them like that.

Tough decision regarding the event, but if it will help get your mind off of things, it's probably the right move.

See you tonight.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post
    I need some advice if anyone can offer it. All the bills were in his name. How do I go about transferring them back into mind? Actually just the power. The cable can just be cancelled. Do I need a death certificate? I can only think you can't just call and say "hey so and so died, please turn off their utilities"
    Do you want to pay off what he owned the power and cable?
    If not you may have to wait to get a death certificate.

Should be easy to transfer the utilities back into your name but you might need paperwork showing you are the owner and you may have to visit the power and cable companies in person.

It seems that Las Vegas is the one of the most unhealthiest places to live. It is the smoking, drinking and over-eating Capital of the World.

Remember to not smoke, eat healthy and exercise.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss. I've lost a lot of friends and family this way it's just as if you blink and they are gone

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss. That sucks. Glad he got right with his brother.

Most of the time a phone call will do it, or simply any type of verification. Being your property, it won't drag out, and salvation army will take anything of value they can sell. Just double check with his family that they don't want anything. One man's trash can be sentimental to someone, and legally, probably theirs.

Good luck in tourney. Hopefully get your mind off things.

Load Metric
    Condolences dude.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Cool

Sorry man. Win this circus in your friend's memory.

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss Brandon. And yeah, what xfactor said, you'll need a copy of the death certificate to transfer ownership of pretty much anything.

If you are feeling guilty about playing, maybe make a donation to his survivors if you ship it crucial.

Comments

DRK Star: good advice (helps the mental focus)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss, man RIP

Load Metric
    The Jinx 2: Port of Call Drexel
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss, Brandon. My best advice is not to worry about the bills for now. You'll get it figured out.

This makes me think of something I heard on a fantasy football podcast today. (I know, of all things, right?) A colleague of the host and guest had passed away. They discussed what made this man such a wonderful person. Then the host reminded us to let people know if you think they are wonderful. Better that they get to hear it themselves than those gathered for their funeral.

Peace and love.

Load Metric
    pooh how could you?

Comments

ThreeBet: too soon

Corrigan: genuine lol

Drexel: coming from someone I thought there was mutual respect between, piss poor

Kuntmissioner: hcy

simpdog: :knife

gauchojake: hof

Crowe Diddly: waiting for pooh'a answer before I judge anyone

Load Metric
    it is a shock when a friend seems to be taken before his time...and it takes a few days to get past it...

in the law, the estate of the deceased is responsible now for the debts and contracts of the decease---and the estate's executor is the right person to payoff debts, terminate contracts and distribute to heirs the property left by the deceased...so now its a matter of determining if there was a will (likely not) and probating it if needed, or if Phil passed without a will, applying the law of in-testate succession--the nearest of kin usually becomes the trustee/executor of the estate and normally gets letters of appointment from a court...that often takes a couple of months in California, it may be quicker in Nevada...

but you have a problem/duty of what to do now with the utilities in your rented condo to mitigate expenses to the estate---simple solution is to call the customer service of the utility companies (water, electric, gas, land line phone, cable TV, etc) and explain what happened and your stake in the matter---they see these situations all the time and have the procedure worked out, one you can be sure is in compliance with the law and one your state Utilities commission and Consumer Affairs Board is happy with.

usually with water utilities, there has been a deposit paid to open the account, and once the account is closed, the estate will get a related deposit refunded
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 05-30-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    my bad my bad

wasn't my intention

Load Metric
    Sorry for you loss.

Its tough when your friends start dying.

If you can, don't worry about finances until your grief has passed.

Wish you the best.

GL.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric

Comments

gauchojake: apropos

Silver
    Load Metric
    This also happened to someone I know. There was no will, etc.

She called a thrift store to get anything they would take. All the utility companies have protocol for dealing with an expired customer.

You play in the circus?

Also I never really listened to the podcast when you did it before - I can't believe how much better it is with you on.

Thread Information