Thread: Are these two pop songs ripoffs of Dion's "Runaround Sue" from 1961?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Are these two pop songs ripoffs of Dion's "Runaround Sue" from 1961?

There's a controversy I recently read about, regarding both that song and one other from 2011, accused of being ripped off from Dion's "Runaround Sue" from 1961.

Or, more accurately, the 2011 song was accused of ripping off Dion, and Trainor was accused of ripping off the 2011 song.

Confused yet?

Here's the original, from 54 years ago:

50 years later, Olly Murs made "Dance With Me Tonight", which I admit bears striking similarity to Runaround Sue in various parts:

Now listen to 2015's "Dear Future Husband" by Meghan Trainor, which is similar to Runaround Sue, and also seems to rip off much of "Dance With Me Tonight", especially at the beginning:

Also LOL @ the POF/Tinder hybrid in the Trainor video.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree that these songs are ripoffs, or is this just homage/artistic inspiration?

Also, hopefully the fact that I'm discussing 2010s pop music will make me seem a bit less old and out of touch with today's youth.

Banned
    Load Metric
    No.

Also I like how Meghan Trainor panders to fat chicks in her "body positivity" anthem, but all her husband candidates in this video are physically fit men.

REAL men have curves, Meghan.

Comments

gauchojake: #dad bods

4Dragons: thought for the day

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    No.

Also I like how Meghan Trainor panders to fat chicks in her "body positivity" anthem, but all her husband candidates in this video are physically fit men.

I have seen this criticism, as well, but the response was that she was shown rejecting all of the model-looking, physically fit guys, and goes for the more average-looking skinny guy at the end. (This was likely also ripped off -- from the Madonna "Material Girl" video!)

The internet social justice warriors also hate this song, because they believe it promotes "gender stereotypes" and is "aggressively heteronormative".

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

BHS: PUFF DADDY STYLE

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The internet social justice warriors also hate this song, because they believe it promotes "gender stereotypes" and is "aggressively heteronormative".
    lol you really just can't win with those people. Lack of diversity in your video? Whitewashing! Too much diversity? Cultural appropriation! Every video is somehow racist, ableist, sexist, or transphobic. Ironically, many of these SJWs openly hate men, jews and white people.

Pandering to them often backfires, as it did with Joss Whedon and seems to be happening with Trainor. It's tough to be a moderate feminist or champion of actual social justice these days.

Load Metric
    Uh Thomas, don't you weigh like 110lbs?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Plol (rip) yes

SS is up a few weight classes but still well below the American average for his height.

Load Metric
    1st song, good god yes sounds like Run Around Sue.

2nd song, don't really hear it.

All 3 songs are Doo-wop, so they are somewhat similar, but 1st song is too blatant.

Is Doo-wop making a comeback?
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Plol (rip) yes

SS is up a few weight classes but still well below the American average for his height.
    I'm 160-170 these days.

Cuvy is a euphemism for fat, Searles. I was joking about how you don't see fat dudes trying to flaunt their flab and pretend that it's sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    1st song, good god yes sounds like Run Around Sue.

2nd song, don't really hear it.

All 3 songs are Doo-wop, so they are somewhat similar, but 1st song is too blatant.

Is Doo-wop making a comeback?
    Yeah, kind of.

Bruno Mars incorporates it into some of his music. I think all doo-wop sounds pretty similar.
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 05-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess Doo-Wop is making a comeback the same way swing came back in the '90s.

I actually like Meghan Trainor's body type, and don't see her as "fat". The "curvy" definition is to separate women of moderately above-average weight from actual fat/obese chicks. I can understand that separation, as I am very attracted to what's classified as "curvy", but not at all to really fat chicks. At the same time, I do find it annoying when girls with some extra pounds refuse to date guys in the same situation.

She was smart to capitalize on the large number of women/girls with body image problems, though. Her song "All About That Bass" now has like 850 million YouTube views, and will probably break a billion.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The "curvy" definition is to separate women of moderately above-average weight from actual fat/obese chicks.
    It really doesn't mean that anymore, just as literally does not literally mean literally as language evolves. The term has been hijacked by insecure obese women. Check out all the "curvy" women on OKCupid some time.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    I think the Meghan Trainor song sounds a lot more like Dion than the second song.

With the Olly Mur's song a lot of people seem to be focusing on the sax line and feel which is weird because that seem to be a pretty standard early rock sax sound that has been used in 10 or 20 other songs. Mur's song make me think of Twistin' the Night Away by Sam Cooke.

Load Metric

Cool

Glad to hear Doowop coming back. Now maybe I can enjoy contemporary music again. Doowop Doowop Doowop

Thread Information