Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got scammed by employees at traffic court

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I got scammed by employees at traffic court

This is a pretty surprising situation, and I just became aware of it today.

In December, I was pulled over and ticketed for driving 16 MPH over the speed limit, by a CHP officier using laser. California is broke, so they jack up the ticket amounts. It was $367 for the ticket, plus another $68 "trafic school processing fee" if I wanted to attend traffic school.

As has been my standard play in these situations, I tried to contest it through a "trial by declaration". When you make a trial by declaration, you do everything by mail. You never set foot in the court. Prior to about 10 years ago, this wasn't the optimal way of handling things, as cops tended to not show up to ticket hearings, and you would win. However, this has changed (at least in California), and now your best bet to win is to do these trials by declaration, and hope that the officer either forgets or doesn't want to fill out the paperwork in response.

Anyway, I submitted my Trial By Delcaration form in February, along with two checks -- one for $367, and one for $68. In my declaration, I asked the judge to give me traffic school instead of the point on my record if he finds me guilty. That's why I included the separate $68 check.

The one big risk in doing this by mail is that you are screwed if it gets lost somehow and they never receive it. So I obsessively checked on the county's website to make sure that they actually got it. On February 11, I was pleased to see the following:

Name:  guzman-scam1.png
Views: 1001
Size:  10.0 KB

You're supposed to read the above from bottom-to-top.

Anyway, on February 11th (ironically the same day the shit hit the fan with Micon), they received my Trial by Delcaration form, as well as my $367+68 bail money. Great.

Except something was weird. Cash bail posted by Guzman, Guillermo?!

Who is Guillermo Guzman? I wondered that at the time, and why did it say "cash bail"? I assumed that Mr. Guzman must work for them and processed it, and that checks received are considered "cash". I decided it wasn't that suspicious, as there didn't seem to be anything that could go wrong. The court acknowledged receiving the money I sent, so what could happen? I decided to ignore this oddity.

I received my decision on March 19th. I was found guilty, with traffic school granted. I did have one pleasant surprise. My pricey $367 ticket was reduced by $128, so the court owed me a $128 refund. Note that I did not ask for a reduction, and was surprised that the judge granted this to me on his own, but I wasn't complaining.

Nearly a month passed, and I didn't receive the $128. I called the court, and was told they have 30 days to mail it, so I hadn't allowed enough time to pass.

It has been 2 months by this point, so I called the court again today. I was told that the check was mailed on March 25th. Damnit. Must have gotten lost or something. I was transferred to the department to reissue it. That's when they dropped the bombshell on me.

Your bail was posted by Guillermo Guzman. He requested that we mail any refund to him.

Indeed, they mailed the check to Guillermo back in March, and it had his name on it. I had no idea this could be done -- basically that the person posting bail for a third party could directly receive any refund issued.

But wait! These were my checks in my name. How did Guillermo pull this off?

At first I figured that he modified my checks and cashed them himself, and then brought cash over to the court on my behalf, claiming that it was his money and that he wanted any refund.

However, I checked with my bank, and both checks were deposited by the court, and the money was cashed into the court's accounts.

It now seems that Guillermo stole my checks, then walked them into the payment department himself, claimed that he was the one posting my bail, and had them change the name and address for the refund to his.

I also researched the term "cash bail" today, and found out that any checks received are listed as "cash bail", so that part is meaningless.

Of course, this leaves various questions unanswered:

1) How did Guillermo claim it was his money (and thereby get the name/address changed) when he was depositing my checks?

2) How did Guillermo get my checks in the first place?

3) Does Guillermo work there? Or is he a friend of someone who works there (I think that's more likely).

4) Was there an accomplice involved at the court, accepting the checks and allowing Guillermo to change it to his name?

Pretty dumb scam, actually, because you'd think this would get caught very easily.

I'm guessing that someone realized this judge issues a lot of reductions, and therefore found this "opportunity" to steal from people's refunds.

The court has been evasive with me thus far, but I am still working to find the right people to speak to about this.

I am going to take this to the police, and the media if necessary.

So strange. I never thought it was even remotely possible that my money paid to a court could be stolen, but that's exactly what happened.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: God-damn Guillermo rep

DRK Star: Guillermo, how could you?

Load Metric
    Shit Guile messed with the wrong man.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Guillermo Guzman a.k.a. Jasep

Load Metric
    Druff got screwed over once again.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  143.1 KB

Druff is literally the most unlikely guy on earth

Supposedly
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    This has to be huge.

Any lawyers in family who can give you a finders % on a class action lawsuit? It feels like something that would happen in my town and the judge and many others would be involved, but in LA, that would be huge money

Load Metric
    We had a big scandal at the Jefferson County dmv down here a couple of years ago where clerks would let you skip standing in line if you tipped them. One of the local tv news shows got it on undercover camera and a few of the twats got fired.

Obv not the same thing, but local government is dirty everywhere.
    Last edited by shortbuspoker; 05-20-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Load Metric
    I would assume this is some stupid scam involving an employee and their friend Guillermo. Although with the ineptitude of local government, anything could be on the table I guess.

Load Metric
    Druff, do you have copies of all of the paperwork you sent in with your payments?

If so, check over the forms to see if you somehow engaged GG to represent you or signed away your right to a refund---my guess is something like that was buried in the fine print of the documents you signed/submitted.

If not, its time for Alvin Finkelstein to ride again! Hi-Oy Silverman, Avay!

PS--drive at the speed limit from now on: I drive the same roads you do and you're making them dangerous
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 05-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I got a speeding ticket right after the WP tourney and I used this service SDticketfighter.com - He did the same thing with the "trial by declaration" and got me the same shitty result of traffic school and a $421 'reduced' fine. I told him that I could have gotten the exact same thing, if not better, by defending myself and asked him to refund the $100 I paid for his ahem "services". Without really any bitching, he agreed to the refund and now I'm stuck going to traffic school by June to avoid points on my record.

Fucking BS.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    We had a big scandal at the Jefferson County dmv down here a couple of years ago where clerks would let you skip standing in line if you tipped them. One of the local tv news shows got it on undercover camera and a few of the twats got fired.

Obv not the same thing, but local government is dirty everywhere.
    Were they singing?

Grease is my friend... grease is my friend!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    UPDATE:

Amazingly, this apparently wasn't a scam -- just incompetence.

They claim that Guillermo Guzman was another traffic defendant. My case number ended with 949. His was similar, but ended with 494 (949 transposed).

Some dyslexic fuck at the traffic department keyed in his case number instead of mine, when they were entering who posted the bail.

I wasn't sure I believed this explanation, so I told them I wanted to see proof that such a case really existed for Guillermo Guzman with that number.

I was told that I would be e-mailed proof of this. It is not possible to look up this case number through the county's website (I need his traffic citation number, which I don't have). I haven't received the e-mail proof yet, but I think I believe them.

Laughably, they are going to send a bill to Guillermo Guzman to get their 128 dolla back, and are sending me a new check.

Comments

BCR: damn, didnt see that coming. i thought we had a month long story here

SrslySirius: Written by M. Night Shyamalan

GrenadaRoger: not surprising--govt agencies have a goal of diversity, rather than merit, in hiring and advancement

Load Metric
    Should ask them to pay you interest as well.

...oh yeah, that would only happen if you didnt pay them on time. 'Murica

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Should ask them to pay you interest as well.

...oh yeah, that would only happen if you didnt pay them on time. 'Murica
    I asked if they knew of any remedy for the late payment to me, including interest (though that will be very little).

I reasoned, "If I pay late, I pay a huge fine. Why is there no remedy if you pay me late?"

Her response: "I've worked here 12 years, and I've never heard of anything like that."

Sadly, she's probably right.

Load Metric
    Also, when you think about the intellect/payscale of that job, the odds of what happened to Druff there are about the same as getting handed order 499 at In-N-Out when yours is 498.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just realized that 128 is almost exactly double of 63.

Not quite, though. 63 x 2 = 126.

So close, yet so far away.

Comments

Lord of the Fraud: 63 x 2 needs no explanation rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I just realized that 128 is almost exactly double of 63.

Not quite, though. 63 x 2 = 126.

So close, yet so far away.
    Being a computer scientist, you should know without calculation that 64x2 is 128. #ThatBinaryLife

Comments

Belly Buster: There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont

Load Metric

Cool

Druff what kind of proof can they send you that does not violate Guzman's privacy? Just wondering. Carryon.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Druff what kind of proof can they send you that does not violate Guzman's privacy? Just wondering. Carryon.
    They sent me a printout of them searching the name Guillermo Guzman and the case numbers that come back (with no other info).

It doesn't violate Guzman's privacy to simply publish that he had a court case there with a specific case number.

Load Metric
    Usually there is a Chief Judge who is responsible to overseeing the municipal courts and who works with a clerk of court. I'd write the chief judge and the clerk explaining what went on. Poor way of them to administer the court.

Load Metric
    This was the same process for funding my account at Carbon Poker.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Thread Information