Thread: Finnish poker player killed by car in Thailand -- but was he also a scammer?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Finnish poker player killed by car in Thailand -- but was he also a scammer?

Weird thread over on 2+2: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...06/index4.html

Joonas Hooti is a poker player originally Finland, currently living in Thailand.

He was killed when a car hit him as he was crossing the street on foot: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...d-Phuket/59147

But the more interesting part is how this information came out. A 2+2 posted named "MayorW3st", registered since 2008 but with barely any posts, claims that Hooti just scammed him for 40k, and he's glad the guy is dead. He said he found out about the accident when googling him after he vanished following a loan.

Joonas was "Caterpillar_69" on Full Tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorW3st
    So I just found out that this guy who apparently owes me a **** ton of money (and is probably a scammer) was just killed by a road traffic accident in phuket...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...d-Phuket/59147

Heads kinda spinning right now. Does anyone know Joonas or had any dealings with him? He seemed legit, I mean he was a high stakes player live and on FTP, he should have been trustworthy to deal with, but it was becoming a strong possibility that he was scamming me.

Got some theories flying around in my head right now. One of which is he's faking his death, because I did hint at threatening legal action recently. This seems so f-ing surreal atm. Googled the guy out of boredom more than anything and HES DEAD.

So um if he is really dead and all I have are skype and whatapp messages saying that he will pay me, is there anything legally I can do?

Sadly this thread is not a troll... sorry if I'm inconherant right now, thoughts are completely scrambled.

EDIT FOR PEOPLE CALLING ME HEARTLESS:
    There is a high liklihood that "Joonas" groomed me for months, pretending to be my friend and poker coach, before scamming me for 40k which is a HUGE amount of money to me. Am I supposed to suddenly have some great compassion for him? He's effectively ruined my life in cold blood. So I'm just going to be practical here, if thats ok with you
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorW3st
    I am in the EU.

Why do people keep insisting that I grieve for a scammer? This guy has talked to me everyday since november. Pretending to be my friend, building my trust. He had no intention of repaying me. He borrowed 500e from me on friday when he was still in finland, and promised that I would see payment (30ke) within a few more hours. Then not 24 hours later he's fled to thailand without telling me. You do the math.

A lot of self-righteous chumps on 2+2 chided the guy for being happy a scammer was dead, and told him he should be grieving for Joonas (lol).

But that aside, is this story really true? Did Joonas really owe him 40k, or was this just an enemy of his who wanted to soil Joonas' memory after death?

Someone pointed out an odd inconsistency in the timeline, to where he mentions Joonas borrowing a final 500 euro from him on Friday (May 15?), and then leaving for Thailand. But Joonas was killed on May 16, so was he really killed the day he arrived there? Or was the "Friday" referred to actually May 8 or earlier?

Let's take the story at face value, though, and ask this: If someone scammed you for 40k and then immediately died in an accident, would you feel happy, or would you feel bad for the guy? Or neither? Let's put aside the practical concern of not being able to collect from a dead man. I'm asking if anyone agrees with the general 2+2 sentiment that this guy is heartless.

Load Metric
    delete
    Last edited by BCR; 05-27-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Load Metric
    From that thread and few other finnish sources it seems like a slow paying degen with life leaks and tilt issues. Loaning money from Harry to pay back Bob etc. Also appeared to have payed off some debts few years ago with no fear of repercussions for not paying and no hope of ever getting a loan from that source again. So at least he wasn't a career scammer, but might well have been on his way to that road after realizing he was much better at gaining peoples confidence than playing poker (or having a semblance of bankroll management)-

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, while I have no proof that Joonas was a scammer or slow-payer, I think I believe the MayorW3st's story about the guy.

Or at least most of it.

I know that I definitely wouldn't feel bad for a scammer who died in an accident shortly after scamming me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As for the money:

Load Metric
    I saw the facebook pics of the rescue squad on the scene. Took pictures in front of him like someone would during a wild game hunt in Africa. Very macabre .

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    How much would it cost to bribe the thai police to report you as dead?

I can't imagine it's more than a few grand.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    If we can't collect, and I'm sure he scammed me, I'm fucking thrilled he's dead. I would have wanted him dead, so to get it risk free is just peaches.

Instant Karma going to get you/ gonna knock you right on the head

Jesus.

Is that your take on debtors in general? If you wrote the law there would be a death penalty for owing money? That seems extreme to me.

For example the United States government would be on death row now.

#DebtorDeathCamp
    #WantedDebtorAlive
    #Finnished
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 05-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    If we can't collect, and I'm sure he scammed me, I'm fucking thrilled he's dead. I would have wanted him dead, so to get it risk free is just peaches.

Instant Karma going to get you/ gonna knock you right on the head

Jesus.

Is that your take on debtors in general? If you wrote the law there would be a death penalty for owing money? That seems extreme to me.

For example the United States government would be on death row now.

#DebtorDeathCamp
    #WantedDebtorAlive
    #Finnished
    I'm just going on the op and working on the hypothetical that its true.

If someone befriended me with the sole purpose,of stealing from me then I'm thrilled if they die. But I often hope for the death of others. When a dude fumbles and blows a cover, I really want him dead.

I want a lot of things in my head that I dont get. That's why English common law is generally the consensus of what society deems just and not on the whimsy of my casual sociopathy.

$40K is a lot to a kid who needs poker coaching. I get the guy who shoots his wife dead after finding her in bed with some other dude more than I get that guy who rolls a kid he befriended. But I have a grudging respect for impersonal thieves if I find their hustle interesting. My morality is flexible and admittedly illogical. I'm a feel player. I'd be a voir dire nightmare

Comments

backdoorb: Lol would read again

smithbk: you are... excused from jury duty

Load Metric
    Surprising that the relatives contacted you to remove thread. I wonder if guy who died had any assets that the relatives could reimburse his victim. Relatives who contacted you should have reached out to his victim and offered some sort of settlement, then I could see taking this down.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Surprising that the relatives contacted you to remove thread. I wonder if guy who died had any assets that the relatives could reimburse his victim. Relatives who contacted you should have reached out to his victim and offered some sort of settlement, then I could see taking this down.
    Would be extremely tough to do this, as there are rarely written records or agreements of these financial transactions. That's why poker scammers get away with it so often.

Load Metric
    Druff, feel free to remove my posts from this thread for the benefit of the family if you wish. I was talking in generalities, wasnt being intentionally insensitive, and never imagined the family of a Finnish poker player to stumble upon my somewhat joking comments on our obscure poker forum. Wasn't looking to hurt anyone's feelings, particularly given I have no idea of truth. I would do it myself, but BGC quoted my post.

I won't start a competing forum if you censor my posts as you deem fit on occasion to spare a family's feelings. I'm a rebel, but not of that variety. Sometimes I forget we're not just shooting the shit amongst ourselves. My apologies to the family.

I assume this was discussed on radio as I see comments about family objection. You may leave the thread up out of your own principle, but just letting you know that I don't care if you remove my posts. My posts were just silly banter, not worth hurting feelings.
    Last edited by BCR; 05-27-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Load Metric
    Druff, feel free to remove my posts from this thread for the benefit of the family if you wish. I was talking in generalities, wasnt being intentionally insensitive, and never imagined the family of a Finnish poker player to stumble upon my somewhat joking comments on our obscure poker forum. Wasn't looking to hurt anyone's feelings, particularly given I have no idea of truth. I would do it myself, but BGC quoted my post.

I won't start a competing forum if you censor my posts as you deem fit on occasion to spare a family's feelings. I'm a rebel, but not of that variety. Sometimes I forget we're not just shooting the shit amongst ourselves. My apologies to the family.

I assume this was discussed on radio as I see comments about family objection. You may leave the thread up out of your own principle, but just letting you know that I don't care if you remove my posts. My posts were just silly banter, not worth hurting feelings.
    Fuck him. Nothing to feel bad about BCR.

Scammers gonna scam.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I haven't listened to radio yet, just saw comment about family. Clearly, I wouldn't feel sorry to say anything to a scammer, but he's gone, and I don't get any enjoyment out of making some mother feel bad. I don't know who in the family it was.

Some people freak out when Druff edits their post. I was just saying I'm not the type to care if he wants to.

Load Metric
    Just got to the 2 hour mark of last weeks show. LOLFinnish law. Druff has been sweated by much more than a bunch of Finns. I see why he left it up now. Tryimg to say there was no Finnish legal action is silly. It just happened iirc, and the police don't care about scammers.

Thread Information