Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Are Stranded On A Deserted Island And Can Pick 4 Of These Things

Load Metric

You Are Stranded On A Deserted Island And Can Pick 4 Of These Things

I didn't pick the list so don't get all huffy. My only question was what kind of climate was this I was stranded in? Jungle, Arid, Hot, Cold?
    Obv add reasons why you would pick those things.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm no survival expert, but there's a lot of really stupid choices on that list.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Having watched Bear Grylls' Island the last few weeks, my four would be:

• Pot
    • Knife
    • Fishing Rod
    • Matches

Closely followed by Hunting Rifle (assuming a bunch of bullets) and Boots.

Reasons: most important thing is that you can eat and drink. You need a fire, a way to get drinkable water, and way to get food. A pot can be used to boil water and cook food (a water purifier can't cook food). A knife is the, err, swiss army knife of tools, use it to kill, cook, hunt etc. A fishing rod to get food, and matches to light a fire - although not strictly necessary, you can start a fire in other ways but it is fucking hard.
    Last edited by Belly Buster; 05-17-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I'm no survival expert, but there's a lot of really stupid choices on that list.
    Holy fuck, I just said don't get all huffy, and what do you do..?

Load Metric
    Tent: Gotta have a place to sleep

Knife: If you don't have a knife you are screwed.

Rope: Just sounds like something that will come in handy.

Rifle: So I can kill the captain of the boat that got me stranded here. Think the scope sight may be overkill.

Can I also take that chick in your signature OP?
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    i mean, it really depends on the island, doesnt it...

is there fresh water? how many trees are there? animals?

i guess if everything an X factor im just going to get the fuck off said island with:

water purifier
    mirror
    tent
    inflatable boat

i can break down the tent to use as shelter, a sail, and tools to spear/catch fish.. water purifier, self explanatory... mirror to signal ships and planes...
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    note to self: do not get into survival situations with PFA posters.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Holy fuck, I just said don't get all huffy, and what do you do..?
    Didn't mean to come off that way, guess I'm saying I'm not sure what the optimal choices are, but it should be fairly easy to narrow them down.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i mean, it really depends on the island, doesnt it...

is there fresh water? how many trees are there? animals?

i guess if everything an X factor im just going to get the fuck off said island with:

water purifier
    mirror
    tent
    inflatable boat

i can break down the tent to use as shelter, a sail, and tools to spear/catch fish.. water purifier, self explanatory... mirror to signal ships and planes...
    Can also start fire with mirror

Load Metric
    US version coming soon: http://www.nbc.com/the-island

In the hour-long "The Island," internationally acclaimed adventurer and survivalist Bear Grylls gives the modern American man the ultimate challenge: Can a man of today's world survive on a deserted island without the luxuries - or even the basics - of contemporary everyday life?

"The Island," based on the hit Shine TV-produced Channel 4 U.K. series of the same name, doesn't include any of the usual reality show trappings. There are no prizes. No eliminations. No winner. No camera teams. The entire series is filmed by the men themselves. The six episodes will show 14 American men isolated on a deserted island with only the clothes on their backs and minimal survival tools, committed to filming every moment themselves.

These 21st-century American men, who are accustomed to roofs over their heads, restaurants and the benefits of technology, are stripped of all modern conveniences and catapulted back to the basics. They must hunt for food, source water, erect shelter, build community and try to survive using only their strength, determination and know-how. All of the men, including a stay-at-home dad, a trauma surgeon, a firefighter and a criminal defense attorney, have something to prove to themselves and each other. This experiment takes them to the very edge of human endurance. They will test their physical, mental and emotional limits and fight for their very existence.

"The Island" is produced by Endemol Shine North America and Bear Grylls Ventures. Bear Grylls, Eden Gaha, Michael Brooks, Holly Wofford and Delbert Shoopman serve as executive producers.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Weed, matches, sun screen and toilet paper. Laterfag in a week, anyway, so may as well be high.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Is this as test and will we it be graded on our choices? Test anxiety may alter my choices.

1: Tarp.......fuck the tent, tarp will do for that and water/dew collection. I've watched survivor alright.

2: Knife so you can slit your wrists on the final day, and prior to that kill water ever moves when you've slipped into phycoticsville.

3: Matches. Saves the water purifier option and will be necessary for option four.

4: Five ounces of weed. Good way to say goodbye to the sweet world and chances are
    any ship within twenty miles will pick up the scent and track it down.

p.s. Did OSA mention a mirror? Keeping it real or what?
    Last edited by limitles; 05-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Load Metric
    Honestly there are a couple of PFA posters you'd be ok with.
    I had the same questions about climate, it really makes or breaks a few of the choices.
    I'd take:

Boat - Unless everything was frozen so I could fuck off out of this place or at least go fishing in different areas
    Fishing Rod - There's water, there's fish
    Matches - Fuck rubbing sticks together
    Tarp / maybe tent - I guess tent because I can break it down and use it for other things if the time arises
    If not the boat then the knife. You need a good tool, a machete would be optimal.

Load Metric
    Tarp/tent is for gays. Plenty of stuff to make shelter with from the natural habitat.
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric
    I think id take the saw over the knife.

Like apparently survival gets measured in calorie consumption and being able to fabricate shelter with a saw sounds about 20 times faster then with a knife. And really would could a knife do that a saw cant do, that I couldnt use the saw to build a tool for?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Fuck all you bitches

This guy could have handled the situation with a paperclip, used tampon, 3 pennies, and a moldy snack stick of cheddar cheese.

Name:  Macgyver2.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  35.1 KB

Load Metric
    If you have hooks, the rod is probably a luxury that can be switched for a tree branch. Swap my rod for the gun.
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric
    I think id take the saw over the knife.

Like apparently survival gets measured in calorie consumption and being able to fabricate shelter with a saw sounds about 20 times faster then with a knife. And really would could a knife do that a saw cant do, that I couldnt use the saw to build a tool for?
    Short knife would be for a spear tip. The first thing i'd want to make after a shelter would be a bow, so maybe the saw would be a good choice. I just don't know if i'd want to try to clear jungle with a saw? Swinging a machete in the shit is awkward enough.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I had the same questions about climate, it really makes or breaks a few of the choices.
    I'd take:

Boat - Unless everything was frozen so I could fuck off out of this place or at least go fishing in different areas
    Tarp / maybe tent - I guess tent because I can break it down and use it for other things if the time arises
    If not the boat then the knife. You need a good tool, a machete would be optimal.

Yeah, rubbing sticks together will get you two smooth sticks and a couple of nice blisters.

Also, deserted islands are usually pounded by surf, so good luck in your dinghy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

I'd take:

Yeah, rubbing sticks together will get you two smooth sticks and a couple of nice blisters.

Also, deserted islands are usually pounded by surf, so good luck in your dinghy.
    Ever watch 'Naked and Afraid'? Shit is hilarious. http://videobull.to/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/

Thread Information