Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Lampoon's Vacation "remake" trailer released

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

National Lampoon's Vacation "remake" trailer released

Looks mostly like a fail to me. Instead of simply modernizing the original and making it as a standalone movie, they are sending "Rusty" (who looks nothing like Anthony Michael Hall) on his own family vacation. Christina Applegate plays his wife.

The new version seems to be a combination of overt grossout humor (the original used very little of that, and was subtle when they did) and obnoxious nods to the original, almost to the level of parody.

The grown up "Rusty" is nothing like the teenage version, and is far more naive and white-bread than any of the Rustys we saw in the various Vacation movies.

John Hughes would likely not approve.

Of course, the original trailer from 1983 didn't look all that funny, and then the movie itself was great:

Loved the title sequence with real postcards from vacation spots around America:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also I kinda wish we reached Ed Helms the time we called Caesars and tried to bug him on PFA Radio.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I stopped the trailer at 1:27 because this looks fucking retarded as shit

typical 'remake' these days

all these new young Hollywood execs cashing in on successful and innovative movies from 20 years ago makes me sick

I liked the Karate Kid for example....great movie

then they 'reinvent' it with Jacking Chan and fucking Jaden Smith ?

whats next...

a Godfather remake ?

eat a dick Hollywood

Banned
    Load Metric
    95% of the movies being produced out of Hollywood the last few years are a joke

I don't give a shit about special effects or gun fights or car chases anymore

all this canned dialogue and crude jokes....so unfunny....but then again I'm an old fuck now....I guess there must be a market for it with the new and improved brain dead youth of America

I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I sure as hell don't pay for DVD's or go to the theater anymore

rip those torrents yall

Load Metric
    Looks pretty funny to me.

Since I was a child when "Vacation" came out, Beverly D'Angelo set the standard for all women for me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseFloater View Post
    I think it will be pretty funny but I agree with TYDE about the karate Kid remake holy fuck they SHOULD HAVE NEVER EVER touched that one

Comments

tyde: must be nice to be Will Smith's son and land roles with zero talent

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseFloater View Post
    I think it will be pretty funny but I agree with TYDE about the karate Kid remake holy fuck they SHOULD HAVE NEVER EVER touched that one
    I'm definitely not a reboot person. This seems more like a continuation to the franshise.

Load Metric
    Didn't look too bad. Doubt it's any worse than Vegas vacation.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    Didn't look too bad. Doubt it's any worse than Vegas vacation.
    vegas vacation was god compared to xmas vacation 2: cousin eddies island adventure

Comments

gimmick: i'll have to take your word for it... haven't seen it or blocked the memories

bukowski72: I didn't think this was a real thing

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Jaden Smith was freaking nine years old during the filming of the karate kid with Jackie Chan and I think he did a fine job. Maybe he's not Shirley Temple and it takes him til his teen years, after running it through the Jenner girl (not Bruce) a few times, to reach his full potential.

Wait until the sequel to the remake of karate kid comes out before dissing Jaden.

I doubt it's easy being the only straight member of a four person family.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Watched the trailor now. What trash.
    Shows how far down as a culture we've come where gross out toilet humor is the norm.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lol Rimjob

Load Metric
    Did anyone else like me tune out after like the third movie? That Randy Quaid shit killed it for me. How is National Lampoon even a thing anymore? Do they even distribute a rag nowadays?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I really liked the Vegas one as a kid, loved the Papa Georgeo fake ID

Load Metric
    Ed Helms should be good for a few laughs. Never be good as the original, but doesn't look god awful.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Watched the trailor now. What trash.
    Shows how far down as a culture we've come where gross out toilet humor is the norm.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Did anyone else like me tune out after like the third movie? That Randy Quaid shit killed it for me. How is National Lampoon even a thing anymore? Do they even distribute a rag nowadays?
    Yes, I did.

None of the other Vacation movies even came close to the original. The constant revolving door of actors playing Rusty and Audrey also annoyed me.

It's not surprising that the sequels were greatly inferior. It is often difficult to make good sequels to comedies, as often the best jokes/gags were already used up on the original. Action movies are easier in this respect, because you can always find ways to make new fights/chase scenes/battles/etc.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Yes, I did.

None of the other Vacation movies even came close to the original. The constant revolving door of actors playing Rusty and Audrey also annoyed me.

It's not surprising that the sequels were greatly inferior. It is often difficult to make good sequels to comedies, as often the best jokes/gags were already used up on the original. Action movies are easier in this respect, because you can always find ways to make new fights/chase scenes/battles/etc.
    I wholly put it at the feet of the writers and the dumbasses that greenlit those particular screenplays. The Vacation movies were all situational comedies, in that the Grizwald's were put into situations and had to find a resolution to get out of it, and because of their characters interactions makes how they approach the situation funny. This happens week in and week out on TV shows and Will and Grace always find themselves in another precarious situation and find a way to resolve that and it's funny.. every week.. for 100's of episodes... filling dozens of hours. That's good writing. Bad casting is another thing, but those lines delivered by Bob Hope, Dean Martin or Steve Martin wouldn't have been any better.

Load Metric
    Just coming up to speed on this steaming pile of shit. Holy fuck this looks awful. Let's take one of the greatest American comedies and see if we can improve on it.

I'm just waiting for some asshole in Hollywood to say "let's get Adam sander in here with Kevin hart and do that caddy shack remake/reboot...We can pull down 100M no problem. Sure cadyshack 2 sucked but how bad can we fuck this up."

And you know some other asshole is just waiting to pull the Godfather out of the mothballs. "Let's get Picino to play the Brando role and let's call pitbull and Vin Diesel to play Mike and Sonny. Fuck while we are at it let's get that mall cop fat fuck to play that Cannoli guy"

Seriously Hollywood - fuck off with this shit.

Load Metric
    I've noticed that comedy sequels that I have liked tend to involve stories where the original movie was about a certain time of life of the main characters, and then the next one/s move on to a different time in life. Clerks went from the the angst filled 20's to the stuck in a nowhere job frustration of 30's with the 2nd film. I think Clerks 3 is also soon in the making, with another 10 years passing.

I'd say the American Pie series did an alright job of this as well.

Then you have comedies like The Hangover, which recreated the exact same scenario again for its 2nd movie. While some of the jokes were funny, the premise was so flat already that movie soured quickly. I'd say the Vacation films are the same.

Thread Information