Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant dead?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Meanwhile, the "other" guy from that 1996 draft, Allen Iverson, left a backpack with $500k in jewelry in his hotel room, and it got stolen.

Genius.

He got lucky and they recovered it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/a...ing-to-police/
    I read somewhere he was bankrupted, and couldn't afford a big mac meal, but also he had endorsement money that was payable well after retirement.

Load Metric
    Allen gets paid 800k/year for life from Reebok

Also has a trust fund of $32 mill that he can't access until 2030.

Also NBA pension likely 1-2million lump sum or 15k/month when he turns 45.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Allen gets paid 800k/year for life from Reebok

Also has a trust fund of $32 mill that he can't access until 2030.

Also NBA pension likely 1-2million lump sum or 15k/month when he turns 45.
    How fast will he plow thru this windfall. Someone saved him from himself. He should be thank .

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Kawhi, who was also flying around in roflcopters, and had the same pilot as the guy who crashed, is now reevaluating if coptering is a good idea:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...opter-commutes

Load Metric
    Kawhi, who was also flying around in roflcopters, and had the same pilot as the guy who crashed, is now reevaluating if coptering is a good idea:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...opter-commutes
    If you’re gonna fly around in helicopters, why trust someone else to pilot it? Do it yourself like Harrison Ford and Bill Burr. Heck! You don’t even need to be all that rich to do so. In fact, I’m guessing even you could afford to have one sitting in your driveway, gassed up at all times so that you could bypass all that ridiculous LA area traffic on your way to Commerce or the Bike (as soon as the coronavirus scare dies down, of course).

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    No but seriously as a Lakers fan I really appreciated Kobe as a player -- at least until he got old and took a huge sum of money and wouldn't become second banana.
    This is a ridiculous statement.

Generally speaking, flight is extremely safe. How many of you personally know someone that has died in a flight? How about a car accident?

This is an extremely tragic event for everyone involved but the media sensationalism trying to flip a buck on this is completely disgusting.

RIP and condolences to the families affected

Comments

VaughnP: Helicopters are many, many times more dangerous per mile than an automobile.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BankNoteABlaze View Post
    No but seriously as a Lakers fan I really appreciated Kobe as a player -- at least until he got old and took a huge sum of money and wouldn't become second banana.

Generally speaking, flight is extremely safe. How many of you personally know someone that has died in a flight? How about a car accident?

This is an extremely tragic event for everyone involved but the media sensationalism trying to flip a buck on this is completely disgusting.

Not sure what point you're making here.

It's a proven fact that traveling by helicopter is more dangerous per mile than driving.

This is different than large plane airline travel, where you're far safer than you would be driving the same distance.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the meantime, Pantone 294, a Dodgers fan club which travels in packs to road games and all sits together wearing blue, is now in hot water due to exploiting the Kobe death.

They had been selling some Lakers jackets in preparation for a road visit to San Francisco to see the Lakers play the Warriors.

They abruptly changed the logo on the jackets from a Lakers symbol to an 8/24 symbol, the promoted it shortly after Kobe's death.

Everyone thought it was in awful taste to do this, as they were basically exploiting Kobe's death to sell more jackets at a profit.

Fighting on social media ensued.

Then one of their reps, "Pantone Patti", posted this on Instagram:

Name:  pantone.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  40.0 KB

Now there's a huge backlash and everyone hates Pantone 294.

Well played.

Comments

Tellafriend: how pathetic our cultcha has become

Diamond
    Load Metric
    So you telling me there was no one selling Kobe shirts and merchandise outside the Staples Center when people were mourning?

Bronze
    Load Metric

It's a proven fact that traveling by helicopter is more dangerous per mile than driving.

This is different than large plane airline travel, where you're far safer than you would be driving the same distance.
    What point are you trying to make? After 5 rings you want to bitch about a contract that was provided to Kobe by an organization? As if you would ever turn that contract down?

Aviation is safe both in small flights, jets, and helicopters.

How many people do you know that were in an aviation accident? How many times have you been in an auto accident?

I don't know a single person who was ever involved in an aviation accident but I have close family that has died in car accidents.

One time I had to circle LAX because our landing gear didn't come down proper, so we made like a 15-minute circle and then landed after completely safe.
    Last edited by BankNoteABlaze; 01-30-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric

What point are you trying to make? After 5 rings you want to bitch about a contract that was provided to Kobe by an organization? As if you would ever turn that contract down?

How many people do you know that were in an aviation accident? How many times have you been in an auto accident?

I don't know a single person who was ever involved in an aviation accident but I have close family that has died in car accidents.

One time I had to circle LAX because our landing gear didn't come down proper, so we made like a 15-minute circle and then landed after completely safe.
    How many people do you know that drive cars everyday?

How many people do you know that fly in helicopters everyday?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

How many people do you know that drive cars everyday?

How many people do you know that fly in helicopters everyday?
    Smells like you're getting trolled by a dupe.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    I knew there were a lot of Kobe fanboys, but how many bought into that false bravado mamba mentality bullshit amuses the fuck out of me. For all his supposed work ethic, he started an inefficient chucker and finished one.

I mean, when he got swooped up for that Colorado shit and ratted our shaq for absolutely no reason whatsoever, what is more bitch-like and less mamba mentality than narcing out your buddy who had nothing to do with your problem?

Shaq is more benevolent than me. I wouldn’t forgive that shit if I lived to a 100. If not for his daughter dying, I’d lose respect for shaq for not showing up at the memorial and doing that Kobe tell me how my ass taste rap.

So clearly the answer is 5 days for me if the question is how long do I feel it inappropriate to speak ill of the dead.

Comments

Sanlmar: BCR

Load Metric
    I have been saying to myself all week, “was I wrong?”

“How was I wrong? He was not the douchebag? Huh?”

Perhaps he was a better guy later. Second chances, whatever.

You know what got me. Merch sales through the roof. The estate will receive a never ending stream of revenue. AND YOU ARE ASKING ME TO DONATE VANESSA BRYANT? Step the fuck up. Act by example

Where is Adidas?

The other families have been forgotten and I am feeling a growing backlash.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

You know what got me. Merch sales through the roof. The estate will receive a never ending stream of revenue. AND YOU ARE ASKING ME TO DONATE VANESSA BRYANT? Step the fuck up. Act by example

Where is Adidas?

How have the other families been forgotten exactly? There’s all sorts of fundraisers going for them and their names have been all over the news. If they hadn’t died with Kobe you would have never heard any of their names and strangers wouldn’t give a shit about them.
    Last edited by nightmarefish; 01-31-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Where is Adidas?

How have the other families been forgotten exactly? There’s all sorts of fundraisers going for them and their names have been all over the news. If they hadn’t died with Kobe you would have never heard any of their names and strangers wouldn’t give a shit about them.
    Do not lose your shit over a Kobe Bryant. He's no worse off now than he was a week ago.
    Nor is anyone who has passed. Judge him as if he was alive.
    He ain't no saint but then who is?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Most everything is safe until it fucks up. Considering the cars vs. the aero vehicles i've been in it's a push

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    I knew there were a lot of Kobe fanboys, but how many bought into that false bravado mamba mentality bullshit amuses the fuck out of me. For all his supposed work ethic, he started an inefficient chucker and finished one.

I mean, when he got swooped up for that Colorado shit and ratted our shaq for absolutely no reason whatsoever, what is more bitch-like and less mamba mentality than narcing out your buddy who had nothing to do with your problem?

Shaq is more benevolent than me. I wouldn’t forgive that shit if I lived to a 100. If not for his daughter dying, I’d lose respect for shaq for not showing up at the memorial and doing that Kobe tell me how my ass taste rap.

So clearly the answer is 5 days for me if the question is how long do I feel it inappropriate to speak ill of the dead.
    He had a really good work ethic regarding preparation for games, keeping in shape, and trying to better his skills.

He also had a huge ego, which led to the early-career problems (didn't pass the ball because he thought he could outplay everyone) and later-career problems (when age killed his ability to shoot, he was still shooting at the rate of someone who was good).

Calling out Shaq for "doing the same thing but paying the women off" (in reference to cheating on his wife) was fucked up, as you said. Kobe had some social issues. He didn't relate to people well. It simply didn't dawn on him that you don't say that about a teammate when you're in hot water for your own actions. As far as Kobe saw it, he was being persecuted where Shaq wasn't, and he couldn't understand the huge difference.

Shaq and Kobe were the opposite in many ways. Both had a lot of natural basketball talent, but the similarities ended there.

Shaq was naturally social, fun, and outgoing, and Kobe was aloof and a bit weird.

Kobe had an obsession to keep his body in top shape and to constantly improve his game. Shaq figured, "I'm a great player, why bother? The offseason is for relaxing!"

Kobe had trouble with team basketball at times, always wanting to have the team on his shoulders, even when it was to the team's detriment. Shaq took the game as it came to him.

Apparently they did make up in recent years, after both were retired and enough time had passed since their days as teammates. This was probably easier to do because there was a lot of nostalgia for the Shaq-Kobe years, given that the Lakers were horrible for awhile (only becoming good this sesaon).

Did Shaq really think better of Kobe than he had before, prior to his death? Yes.

Is some of the grief being played up for the camera? Also yes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Steve Nash...alive and well

Name:  459878FD-892F-419F-98DE-EA32FA81DDC0.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  96.0 KBa

Thread Information