Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive Equifax Data Breach - 140 Million Americans Affected

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It said on that website I wasn't compromised either but wtf knows.

A lot of credit cards protect from identity theft these days and notify you of a change in your credit report which everyone needs to keep an eye on.

Hopefully they can bait this hacker in some way where they can track them down before it gets leaked but wtf knows if it this was a team of people that all have access to this data.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

A lot of credit cards protect from identity theft these days and notify you of a change in your credit report which everyone needs to keep an eye on.

Hopefully they can bait this hacker in some way where they can track them down before it gets leaked but wtf knows if it this was a team of people that all have access to this data.
    The problem is valuable info like SNNs or other info is out there which pretty much means your safety is fucked as you are open to identity theft for the rest of your life. Its out there and sounds like nothing can be done now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

The problem is valuable info like SNNs or other info is out there which pretty much means your safety is fucked as you are open to identity theft for the rest of your life. Its out there and sounds like nothing can be done now.
    True.

I didn't say this wouldn't give tons of people headaches and make their lives hell because it can even if they find a way to prevent the public leak as the info will remain in at least one persons hands.

Nothing ever is 100% safe. What is created by man can be hacked by man no matter who they are and this shows it.

Even if for a second we say something would be impossible to hack it don't mean a person in a high power position can't be bought.

This is the world we've lived in for a while now and only going to get worse in years to come.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Triple post tilt.

You might remember that I said years ago that private data collection companies are our real enemies when it comes to privacy, NOT the government.

When laws such as the Patriot Act are passed, everyone screams, "Omg muh privacy!", while ignoring the real threat coming from private data collection corporations.

I knew that eventually we would face a real issue when it came to either hacking of these companies, misuse of the collected data, or both.

Back in the 1980s, I learned from my days in the phone/computer hacking communities how powerful personal information was. I also learned that, once out there, you can't take information back. Therefore, you need to always be diligent in shielding your information as much as possible, even if it's a pain in the ass.

This is also why I am very wary of cloud-type storage services. Those will be next.

The more that our lives are stored online, the more we will be vulnerable to embarrassing and life-altering hacks.
    Well then you should be wary of your whole Republican ethos wherein anything but free enterprise is the way to go.
    Just watching the hurricane live feeds one is inundated with medical professional commercials. Hospitals, special disease doctors and drug companies claiming all kinds of vague benefits.. You won't see a tenth of such commercials in Canada because there is nothing in it for these bastards to over-charge and spend mega bucks on advertising.

And yeah Equinox does require a waiver on court proceedings should you put your trust in them going forward. Lol on that

Load Metric
    Also I had my cc used fraudulently for the first time this year. Was pretty freaky. I had ordered some sports stuff online and pretty sure customer service lifted my number but can;t prove it. They tried to order a bunch of stuff from Lowes and shipped it out to limitles place in BC. Luckily Lowes called me because it was being shipped so far away and order was cancelled before anything else happened. No other charges and everything seemed fine but man it was stressful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also I had my cc used fraudulently for the first time this year. Was pretty freaky. I had ordered some sports stuff online and pretty sure customer service lifted my number but can;t prove it. They tried to order a bunch of stuff from Lowes and shipped it out to limitles place in BC. Luckily Lowes called me because it was being shipped so far away and order was cancelled before anything else happened. No other charges and everything seemed fine but man it was stressful.
    Credit card fraud is just an annoyance, but it's not a huge deal.

Credit card companies never charge you for the fraudulent purchases, and it's relatively easy to report them, get them taken off your bill, and to get a new card number rushed to you.

It can be a pain when it comes to changing your stored credit card numbers and auto-bill suff, but it's not the huge deal people make it out to be.

Having your bank account info stolen and used (as I did last year) is much worse.

Comments

Tellafriend: 100%

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Credit card companies never charge you for the fraudulent purchases, and it's relatively easy to report them, get them taken off your bill, and to get a new card number rushed to you.

It can be a pain when it comes to changing your stored credit card numbers and auto-bill suff, but it's not the huge deal people make it out to be.

Having your bank account info stolen and used (as I did last year) is much worse.
    Lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Lol
    Why lol?

I've had my CC # stolen a number of times in my life, and it was never a huge deal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Lol
    Why lol?

I've had my CC # stolen a number of times in my life, and it was never a huge deal.
    Cause the cc companies are not the problem

Load Metric

True.

I didn't say this wouldn't give tons of people headaches and make their lives hell because it can even if they find a way to prevent the public leak as the info will remain in at least one persons hands.

Nothing ever is 100% safe. What is created by man can be hacked by man no matter who they are and this shows it.

Even if for a second we say something would be impossible to hack it don't mean a person in a high power position can't be bought.

This is the world we've lived in for a while now and only going to get worse in years to come.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Agree. The freaky thing was trying to figure out how they got my number (making sure I wasn;t hacked). Initially thought gas station but then noticed the scammers used on phone number that I no longer used anymore but was attached to old account I made recent online purchase on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Agree. The freaky thing was trying to figure out how they got my number (making sure I wasn;t hacked). Initially thought gas station but then noticed the scammers used on phone number that I no longer used anymore but was attached to old account I made recent online purchase on.
    Good chance it was bank insiders.

That's where I traced a few of my breaches.

Load Metric
    Unsure if real/fake, but here it is:

Name:  screenshot-from-2017-09-14-07-22-41.png
Views: 262
Size:  32.5 KB

https://krypt3ia.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/equihax/

Load Metric
    Actually they have updated it and appears to be fake.

Banned
    Load Metric
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...month-old-bug/

The Equifax breach that exposed sensitive data for as many as 143 million US consumers was accomplished by exploiting a Web application vulnerability that had been patched more than two months earlier, officials with the credit reporting service said Thursday.
    Meanwhile, at their Argentinian office, admin accounts used default user/passes (admin/admin), and once in there, employee user/passes were stored in plain text within the SOURCE CODE of the web application. So you could just casually ctrl+U and see everyone's shit.

Load Metric
    Not surprising, the Credit Reporting Companies (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) have been fucking over people for years.

The credit reports the credit reporting agencies send to you are different than the ones that they sell to banks, merchants and mortgage brokers.

If you challenge a credit report and mail your information to a post office box in the United States, the dispute will likely be investigated in India, or the Philippines or South America.

In just about 100% of all cases when there is a dispute, the credit reporting companies send your info to a country that speaks very little English and always favors the original creditor and never the consumer.

Apparently, the only way to get these Credit Reporting Agencies attention is to sue them.

40 Million Mistakes: Is your credit report accurate?
    A new study indicates as many as 40 million consumers have a mistake on their credit report and Steve Kroft finds it's hard to get them fixed

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/40-mill...te-10-02-2013/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...month-old-bug/

The Equifax breach that exposed sensitive data for as many as 143 million US consumers was accomplished by exploiting a Web application vulnerability that had been patched more than two months earlier, officials with the credit reporting service said Thursday.
    Meanwhile, at their Argentinian office, admin accounts used default user/passes (admin/admin), and once in there, employee user/passes were stored in plain text within the SOURCE CODE of the web application. So you could just casually ctrl+U and see everyone's shit.

https://medium.com/@powerb91/equifax...e-170ed47d2a27

not sure how the argentina issues played into this breach but apparently the entry point was an unpatched apache struts instance.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

This is so true and relatively easy for thieves to get a hold of. All they really need is your account number as routing numbers can be accessed online. Paypal and a ton of stuff is tied to it so you have reset all that and go through all the verification crap. However, the most annoying part is probably at the bank itself. They have to shut down the account entirely and re open it. In addition , you have to deal with fraud forms that can take forever. I think this is why scammers like ACH debits so much as it is enormous pain in the ass to deal with.

Checks in general are antiquated and I dont know why they even still exist. For example, in Europe they dont use checks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

This is so true and relatively easy for thieves to get a hold of. All they really need is your account number as routing numbers can be accessed online. Paypal and a ton of stuff is tied to it so you have reset all that and go through all the verification crap. However, the most annoying part is probably at the bank itself. They have to shut down the account entirely and re open it. In addition , you have to deal with fraud forms that can take forever. I think this is why scammers like ACH debits so much as it is enormous pain in the ass to deal with.

Checks in general are antiquated and I dont know why they even still exist. For example, in Europe they dont use checks.

Also, another point is that when you reopen a new account because of fraud (at least in my case) the account is treated at a "new account." So even if you have been a customer there for 20 years it looks as if you have been a customer from the time the account was open. This can lead to holds and questions on large deposits because they see no history with you. It really does suck.

Load Metric
    https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibi...igibility.html

Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Unless the hackcheck thing is really just spitting out nonsense, in which case never mind.

It isnt . fuck me

Name:  fuckme.PNG
Views: 447
Size:  19.4 KB

Thread Information