Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist Attack in London

Load Metric
    Even though I understand the argument of cultural relativism and the idea that terrorists are just as vicious as our military, only with fewer resources, which results in a cruder, imprecise result. However, I believe Druff is correct in pointing out that drone strikes at least have the intention of killing a specific person or group of people, as opposed to terror attacks, which are becoming increasingly random and less specific.

The factor that has really started to differentiate Islamic terror groups from groups like the IRA or PLO is that they have been attacking people for things as petty as drawing cartoons or, more recently, just driving into crowds in major cities, seemingly to reach the highest body count possible and to make the biggest public display of horror before essentially committing suicide.

This is a very different thing than Catholic terrorism or even genocidal Sikhs. I honestly think all religions are ill-advised and I know there are socio-economic factors at play, but to overlook the fact that ISIS, and the many groups that comprise ISIS and Al-Quada, find legitimacy in some of the strongest underpinnings of the religion (jihad, death to apostates, women owned by father/husband, etc.) is telling and we can't just continue to exoticize Islam as some "religion of peace.'

It is actually quite racist to treat Islam like some pure, untouched culture that, without that provocation of the horrible white man, would be free of this hyper-violent religious turf war. We treat Africa the same way. As a liberal (not a Progressive), I am fucking tired of it. By the way, both Muslims and Africans had slave trades that pre-dated the European slave trade and any historian will tell you that these were much more brutal as well. Sorry, correction, some still have continuing slave trades... and they cite their holy book to justify this, only they don't really need to stretch too hard to make that claim, as no reformation of any slavery claims exists widely in Islam.

This isn't to say that Western culture hasn't committed some of the greatest atrocities in history, but be very careful of the soft bigotry of low expectations, as well as the soft bigotry of broadly assuming the infallibility of people, based primarily on a misplaced sense of guilt.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoStar View Post
    Even though I understand the argument of cultural relativism and the idea that terrorists are just as vicious as our military, only with fewer resources, which results in a cruder, imprecise result. However, I believe Druff is correct in pointing out that drone strikes at least have the intention of killing a specific person or group of people, as opposed to terror attacks, which are becoming increasingly random and less specific.

The factor that has really started to differentiate Islamic terror groups from groups like the IRA or PLO is that they have been attacking people for things as petty as drawing cartoons or, more recently, just driving into crowds in major cities, seemingly to reach the highest body count possible and to make the biggest public display of horror before essentially committing suicide.

This is a very different thing than Catholic terrorism or even genocidal Sikhs. I honestly think all religions are ill-advised and I know there are socio-economic factors at play, but to overlook the fact that ISIS, and the many groups that comprise ISIS and Al-Quada, find legitimacy in some of the strongest underpinnings of the religion (jihad, death to apostates, women owned by father/husband, etc.) is telling and we can't just continue to exoticize Islam as some "religion of peace.'

It is actually quite racist to treat Islam like some pure, untouched culture that, without that provocation of the horrible white man, would be free of this hyper-violent religious turf war. We treat Africa the same way. As a liberal (not a Progressive), I am fucking tired of it. By the way, both Muslims and Africans had slave trades that pre-dated the European slave trade and any historian will tell you that these were much more brutal as well. Sorry, correction, some still have continuing slave trades... and they cite their holy book to justify this, only they don't really need to stretch too hard to make that claim, as no reformation of any slavery claims exists widely in Islam.

This isn't to say that Western culture hasn't committed some of the greatest atrocities in history, but be very careful of the soft bigotry of low expectations, as well as the soft bigotry of broadly assuming the infallibility of people, based primarily on a misplaced sense of guilt.
    Terrorists from every religion have been known to target civilians and "seemingly to reach the highest body count possible and to make the biggest public display of horror" has always been the point of it. That includes IRA and PLO (they are Muslims btw). IRA used to blow up pubs and PLO member organizations were best known from a school bus massacre (killed 9 kids) and the Munich massacre that targeted Olympic athletes.

Pretty much every terrorist organization have sacred religious texts that give them justification for their actions. It's always some variation of end justifying the means. Usually they are the only ones that draw that conclusion for what ever material we are talking about (Quran, Bible, Torah, Das Kapital, Mein Kampf ect.).

ISIS and friends aren't some special snow flakes that are doing unprecedented things. They are very much derived from the past. They are much wealthier than previous organizations and they spend a lot more resources on spreading propaganda compared to their predecessors. But those are pretty much the only differences.

Africa and middle-east were ahead in the slave game simply because that's where the earliest civilizations were formed. Ancient Greece and Rome got their slavery on as soon as they were advanced enough. How brutal any of it was is something no one knows. Something any decent historian can tell you. No idea what slavery has to do with anything quite honestly. It's endearing that you deem it important to mention that Roots didn't invent slavery, but that has more to do with your "education system" than anything that's relevant to this thread.

Comments

GringoStar: I'd love to hear your apologist perspective on why the Brazilian slave trade was so much more brutal than the North American slave trade (hint: your first civilization point doesn't hold water).

dick: you're both faggots

Henry:

Load Metric
    I agree with Druff that drone strikes by the US are not terrorist attacks. But something ignored by folks crying out about Muslim terrorist attacks in the US are the complement to them usually conducted by majority members of a society on minority members: hate crimes. And since 9/11, Sikhs in the US have experienced both terrorist attacks *and* a rise in hate crimes. This article identifies 29 of them.

Sikhs under attack
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ist/index.html

Also, if you include documented *threats* of terrorist in with actual attacks, Druff might want to redo his calculations on who has commited such acts against targets in the US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ats/index.html
    A Jewish teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with a series of bomb threats that have rattled Jewish institutions and community centers across the United States and other countries, Israeli police said.

A months-long international investigation led to the 19-year-old suspect, who used "advanced camouflage technologies" to cover his tracks, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

The suspect holds dual American-Israeli citizenship, an Israeli security official told CNN. He was arrested in southern Israel after an undercover investigation with the FBI.

In the US alone, more than 100 bomb threats have been made this year against Jewish community centers and schools. The threats were spread across 33 states and most came as part of five waves.

Most of the bomb threats were believed to have been made by one person using technology to disguise his voice to sound like a woman's, while the other threats likely were made by copycats, a New York police official said earlier this month.
    And given the likely relatively small percentage of dual US/Israeli citizens, one could wonder how much of a terrorism risk that demographic poses to America, right?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    It's a pretty simple problem. Islam's founding documents explicitly order believers to commit acts of violence against unbelievers. Either keep Islam out of places you'd like to not see explode or deal with it. The western world has almost unanimously chose to deal with it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    I agree with Druff that drone strikes by the US are not terrorist attacks. But something ignored by folks crying out about Muslim terrorist attacks in the US are the complement to them usually conducted by majority members of a society on minority members: hate crimes. And since 9/11, Sikhs in the US have experienced both terrorist attacks *and* a rise in hate crimes. This article identifies 29 of them.

Sikhs under attack
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ist/index.html

Also, if you include documented *threats* of terrorist in with actual attacks, Druff might want to redo his calculations on who has commited such acts against targets in the US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ats/index.html
    A Jewish teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with a series of bomb threats that have rattled Jewish institutions and community centers across the United States and other countries, Israeli police said.

A months-long international investigation led to the 19-year-old suspect, who used "advanced camouflage technologies" to cover his tracks, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

The suspect holds dual American-Israeli citizenship, an Israeli security official told CNN. He was arrested in southern Israel after an undercover investigation with the FBI.

In the US alone, more than 100 bomb threats have been made this year against Jewish community centers and schools. The threats were spread across 33 states and most came as part of five waves.

Most of the bomb threats were believed to have been made by one person using technology to disguise his voice to sound like a woman's, while the other threats likely were made by copycats, a New York police official said earlier this month.
    And given the likely relatively small percentage of dual US/Israeli citizens, one could wonder how much of a terrorism risk that demographic poses to America, right?
    Sadly most Americans wouldn't even know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims. To dumbass hicks, they're all just brown.

Comments

MumblesBadly: The turbans male Sikhs wear (following their faith) makes them targets of ignut Islamophobes.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Terrorists from every religion have been known to target civilians and "seemingly to reach the highest body count possible and to make the biggest public display of horror" has always been the point of it. That includes IRA and PLO (they are Muslims btw). IRA used to blow up pubs and PLO member organizations were best known from a school bus massacre (killed 9 kids) and the Munich massacre that targeted Olympic athletes.

Pretty much every terrorist organization have sacred religious texts that give them justification for their actions. It's always some variation of end justifying the means. Usually they are the only ones that draw that conclusion for what ever material we are talking about (Quran, Bible, Torah, Das Kapital, Mein Kampf ect.).

ISIS and friends aren't some special snow flakes that are doing unprecedented things. They are very much derived from the past. They are much wealthier than previous organizations and they spend a lot more resources on spreading propaganda compared to their predecessors. But those are pretty much the only differences.

Africa and middle-east were ahead in the slave game simply because that's where the earliest civilizations were formed. Ancient Greece and Rome got their slavery on as soon as they were advanced enough. How brutal any of it was is something no one knows. Something any decent historian can tell you. No idea what slavery has to do with anything quite honestly. It's endearing that you deem it important to mention that Roots didn't invent slavery, but that has more to do with your "education system" than anything that's relevant to this thread.
    Not everytime but very often the IRA would call ahead with a warning before the bomb went off.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BlunderMaker View Post
    It's a pretty simple problem. Islam's founding documents explicitly order believers to commit acts of violence against unbelievers. Either keep Islam out of places you'd like to not see explode or deal with it. The western world has almost unanimously chose to deal with it.
    Few of these examples fall into, "not in my backyard" thinking.
    Words of the Koran, Bible, U.S. Constitution etc. are very old, yet many cling to portions of them as justification for their deeds.

Terrorism is a subjective term.
    "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

Comments

Deal: yup

hongkonger: This

MumblesBadly: You forgot Honduros and Venezuala in mid 2000s

JACKDANIELS: Panama 89

Load Metric

Comments

hongkonger: Chomsky rep
    Last edited by Deal; 03-27-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

Not everytime but very often the IRA would call ahead with a warning before the bomb went off.
    To newspapers or TVs stations, when there were no cell phones , thanks for the heads up
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RegGaymer View Post
    On the contrary it could be said that your first thought when you hear about this stuff, along with 99% of everyone else, is that these are all legit terror stories to be taken at face value.

It's like a form of backward logic, whereby you have your belief system already in place (terrorism/isis/gunman stories etc.), and look to support your belief regardless of how foolish it may be - instead of using inductive reasoning and drawing a conclusion based on the evidence right in front of you.

It's mad because you admit that several of the pictures look suspect, yet your preexisting beliefs won't allow you to follow through with your read. It's like Knish in rounders seeing the moves but not having the stones to make the plays. All that alimony and child support got you singing from the same hymm sheet as the rest of the sheep.

Your head must be constantly battered.

The bigger picture concerns me infinitely more than second guessing a random attack. An attack which carried plenty of plausibility anyway imo.

Discret drip-drip propaganda from those in control, laughably has us believing we're the victims in the grand scheme of the past 15-20 years.

I don't need to question EVERYTHING to know why, or how we got here. The bogeyman-like fear has already been well and truly created, especially across the pond.

The West already got their blank cheque. FF aren't really necessary... Add to the fact that Muslims are sorta mad at us for dropping a few thousand tons of munitions onto their heads, meaning it's not difficult to comprehend that sometimes they go a little nuts like that murderess cunt did the other day.

IF the MSM suddenly claimed that the attack was a hoax. It wouldn't dramatically change my position on how I view things. So I honestly couldn't give a fuck if some paranoid prick believes I shit in a field while eating grass all day.
    Who are you calling a prick?

My head isn't battered or paranoid, because I don't follow the news and am comfortable knowing that brown people with beards aren't out to terrorise me or the rest of Western civilization as the media would have you believe.

I been schooling you on this too long you aint never gonna get it are ya. Can't teach old dog new tricks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    To newspapers or TVs stations, when there were no cell phones , thanks for the heads up
    A warning is better than no warning right? If they just wanted to maim and kill they would not have given any warnings.
    Im sure it saved some lives.
    That being said it gave the English a taste of what they had been doing to the Irish for hundreds of years.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    LOL half of Americans believe in biblical creation, you think they'll ever understand Chomsky?

Comments

Deal: Trump loves the uneducated, hence Betsy.

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: dems love the uneducated, hence The Hood
    HILLARY WON

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    all these idiots trying to imply that the USA has ever done anything wrong seem to have forgotten that A) we are Christians B) we invented freedom C) none of the regimes listed that America "terrorized" even fought in the Civil War to free black slaves because they are RACISTS

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    LOL half of Americans believe in biblical creation, you think they'll ever understand Chomsky?
    power to the people

stick it to the man

Name:  a6e3069605b089514e6b98acf15f75b0.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  24.0 KB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric

1) The point about slavery was directly correlated to the tendency for Westerners to make themselves into the ultimate predator in history, while treating other cultures as these innocent, untouched people who weren't capable of such horrible atrocities until the white man bothered the beehive.

2) I sense you think you are educating me every time you respond to one of my posts, but in your condescension you've overlooked that I over-stand your position. I used to be a culture relativist too, it is an easy stance to take because you can just lean back on the subjectivity of brutality and scope while coming across as worldly, enlightened, and (most importantly) in adamant defense that no other culture is inferior to Western/European culture.

3) Yes, I know that the PLO is technically Muslim, but you to make any claim that the PLO and ISIS are the same, you merely reveal your ignorance or that you will shape your argument however best keeps you ahead (classic relativism).

Load Metric
    The IRA terrorism was amateur compared to Palestine's operation.

Since 2004, Palestinian law has explicitly mandated large monthly payments to the families of terrorists who attack Israel, as well as salaries and jobs for the terrorists on their release from Israeli jails. The PA structures the payments so as to make its incentive structure crystal clear: The more Israelis you wound or kill, the more money your family will receive.
    Of course, this all came to light thanks to Obama's funding just before he left office.

I gotta pretty low opinion of government here there and everywhere but this actually impressed me on several levels.

Bailing Out the Palestinian Authority
    National Review
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.natio...fund-terrorism

Load Metric

1) The point about slavery was directly correlated to the tendency for Westerners to make themselves into the ultimate predator in history, while treating other cultures as these innocent, untouched people who weren't capable of such horrible atrocities until the white man bothered the beehive.

2) I sense you think you are educating me every time you respond to one of my posts, but in your condescension you've overlooked that I over-stand your position. I used to be a culture relativist too, it is an easy stance to take because you can just lean back on the subjectivity of brutality and scope while coming across as worldly, enlightened, and (most importantly) in adamant defense that no other culture is inferior to Western/European culture.

3) Yes, I know that the PLO is technically Muslim, but you to make any claim that the PLO and ISIS are the same, you merely reveal your ignorance or that you will shape your argument however best keeps you ahead (classic relativism).
    1) And how would that matter at all? Sure it's a cute strawman and you can waste all the time you want defeating that beast but it has nothing to do with the subject.

2) You really are an idiot huh. You took handful of shots in the dark and missed them all. Better luck next time.

3) I've never said PLO and ISIS are the same. You're the one that tried to differentiate Islamic terrorist organizations from PLO. And then i refuted your every point.

Ps. Next time you could try refuting some of my points instead of trying to guess who i am or why i do what ever the fuck i do.

Load Metric

1) And how would that matter at all? Sure it's a cute strawman and you can waste all the time you want defeating that beast but it has nothing to do with the subject.

2) You really are an idiot huh. You took handful of shots in the dark and missed them all. Better luck next time.

3) I've never said PLO and ISIS are the same. You're the one that tried to differentiate Islamic terrorist organizations from PLO. And then i refuted your every point.

Ps. Next time you could try refuting some of my points instead of trying to guess who i am or why i do what ever the fuck i do.
    This is really an interesting look at hypocrisy, considering you really didn't refute anything that I just said to refute your points.

But let me take a focus so you don't get too high on your own fumes in the confusion, as we once again reach a point where you change the goal post and then try to find small points to score while deflecting entirely from the thrust of what is being said.

"3) I've never said PLO and ISIS are the same. You're the one that tried to differentiate Islamic terrorist organizations from PLO. And then i refuted your every point."

- Yes, you never said that PLO and ISIS are the same, you just arbitrarily pointed out that they are also Islamic, which was just another example of you trying to score points while playing a different game. The PLO was/is Islamic, but what separates them from the groups that comprise ISIS is the stated goal. The PLO may have various offshoots of anti-Zionism and anti-Western views, but they are not violently slaughtering pilgrims and taking sex slaves in an effort to form a caliphate.

I must have missed where you refuted my every point, but I was booted from the site for awhile, so (for the sake of your obviously inflated ego) let's assume you refuted my every point when I was gone and everyone missed it.

Comments

MumblesBadly: I missed it.

Load Metric

This is really an interesting look at hypocrisy, considering you really didn't refute anything that I just said to refute your points.

But let me take a focus so you don't get too high on your own fumes in the confusion, as we once again reach a point where you change the goal post and then try to find small points to score while deflecting entirely from the thrust of what is being said.

"3) I've never said PLO and ISIS are the same. You're the one that tried to differentiate Islamic terrorist organizations from PLO. And then i refuted your every point."

- Yes, you never said that PLO and ISIS are the same, you just arbitrarily pointed out that they are also Islamic, which was just another example of you trying to score points while playing a different game. The PLO was/is Islamic, but what separates them from the groups that comprise ISIS is the stated goal. The PLO may have various offshoots of anti-Zionism and anti-Western views, but they are not violently slaughtering pilgrims and taking sex slaves in an effort to form a caliphate.

I must have missed where you refuted my every point, but I was booted from the site for awhile, so (for the sake of your obviously inflated ego) let's assume you refuted my every point when I was gone and everyone missed it.
    So we'll just add hypocrisy to the long list of words you kinda think you know the meaning of. Cool.

Your previous reply didn't add anything to your first or refute any of my points. So there is nothing relevant that i should bother to refute. But let's get back to a condescending tone as i explain remarkably basic shit to a mouth breather.

Persons character isn't relevant to an argument outside of determining his trustworthiness when it's needed and a few other cases where it clearly is. In nearly every post i've made in these forums my character is irrelevant to the validity of my words.

Nothing regarding my character will make my words in this thread any more true or false and the same applies to you. That's why you're wasting every ones time trying to randomly guess who i am. Even if i was a culture relativist (for the sake of argument we'll assume you're not mixing the concept with moral relativism) or some random person somewhere was a culture relativist it does absolutely nothing to the validity of my/their words.

Quite a few thousand years ago different Greek faggots spent a lot of time thinking this type of shit over and ever since then this and a bunch of other basic shit have been the rules we've argued with.

Oh and let's go over your points why Islamic terrorist groups are different from other terrorist groups such as older Catholic and Muslim groups.

1) They aim to "reach the highest body count possible and to make the biggest public display of horror". This is another way of saying Islamic terrorist groups aim to terrorize their opponents. It more or less defines the word terrorist. It is what separates terrorists from paramilitaries fighting an asymmetric war. It is universal to all terrorist groups. I gave a few examples of atrocities PLO had done and i mentioned that IRA did target civilians as well. Roughly 3rd of all Provisional IRA (the IRA that was referred to earlier and the group most commonly known as IRA in relation to terrorism) victims were civilians.

"This is a very different thing than Catholic terrorism or even genocidal Sikhs" (Sikh that was referred to ITT was in relation to bomb in a passenger airplane that killed more than 300 people)

You claimed that something that is universal differentiates. I refuted that. Feel free to chime in.

2) They "find legitimacy in some of the strongest underpinnings of the religion". This is another way of saying Islamic terrorists have a justification for their actions. All terrorists have a justification for their actions. End justifies the means. We get to do what ever because we're special snowflakes destined to do special snowflake things.

You claimed that something that is universal differentiates. I refuted that. Feel free to chime in.

Comments

Henry:

Load Metric
    If anyone is interested in middle-eastern terrorist groups, you should look up Irgun and Lehi.

Irgun is best known from bombing of the King David hotel that was know as the deadliest terrorist attack of the 20th century for a few decades. Lehi had a bombing campaign in Europe and a few successful political assassinations. They tag teamed the Deir Yassin massacre where they ended up killing 100 villagers (the usual with women and children). They definitely hung some of their opponents and there was mentions of decapitations/rapes. Basically stuff that's fairly common with extended paramilitary warfare (or warfare in general even).

They both tried to set up a caliphate of sorts and they believed they had justification for all their actions in their good book. The same good book that promised them their caliphate. What makes them interesting is that they were successful in setting up their caliphate. It's been up and running sixty-odd years now.

Comments

MumblesBadly: איש פיקח

Henry:

Thread Information