Thread: Paging Wrenchjockey and other Automotive EXPERTS

Load Metric

Paging Wrenchjockey and other Automotive EXPERTS

I've been thinking about getting a new-used car for along time now. The thing is, I've gotten bored of my 2004 Lexus RX and want to trade it in (or sell) for one of those 1984-1989 Porsche 911s. There is just something so appealing about those old Porsches. Don't get me wrong, the Lexus has literally never given me ONE problem in the 5 years that I've had it. Still, I want something new and more fun to drive/stylish.

What do the automotive experts think about this decision; is it as foolish and crazy as it sounds? I figure I could probably get about 18k KBB value out of the Lexus which is in really excellent condition and low mileage. The Porsche shouldn't cost too much more... something like this is what I had in mind: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

Name:  c944-front-remote.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  266.0 KB

Name:  c944-leftside-remote.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  297.7 KB

Name:  c944-rightrear-remote.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  307.5 KB

Comments

Muck Ficon: :noose

Load Metric
    A 1984-1989 Porsche 911 as your everyday car?

Load Metric
    God I love 911's.

You may not think the cost of the '84 is too bad. It's the maintenance that will break you.

I went to the Auto Show 2 weeks ago. The new Boxsters look better than the 911 now.

Load Metric
    too much class in one video...

Gold
    Load Metric
    No need to call in the experts

Can you fix a car at all? By the title of the thread I surmise you can not.
    Since you can't find your way around a Chevrolet let alone a porsche 20 years ago I would advise against giving up the rx for something older than the rx. Rx drivers generally are useless around cars, I know, I have one too.

How do you figure your lexus is worth 18k? It's not, maybe 7 years ago it was.

Comments

Krypt: Spot on read to be fair

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post
    No need to call in the experts

Can you fix a car at all? By the title of the thread I surmise you can not.
    Since you can't find your way around a Chevrolet let alone a porsche 20 years ago I would advise against giving up the rx for something older than the rx. Rx drivers generally are useless around cars, I know, I have one too.

How do you figure your lexus is worth 18k? It's not, maybe 7 years ago it was.
    ~72k miles though.... You're probably still right. Probably fetch 14k considering the condition of the car. Has your RX ever given you a problem?

And, why couldn't I learn to fix the car on the job? I mean it would be a headache at times, but surely if there's a will there's a way.

Load Metric
    911's from that era are pretty much bullet proof mechanically.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Is there any structural damage?

Gold
    Load Metric
    It is EXACTLY as foolish and crazy as it sounds.

For a weekend/date/fun car? Absolutely. A daily driver? No chance in hell would I ever recommend this to anyone. As previously mentioned, maintenance and repair is what will kill your wallet here, not to mention the headache of sourcing 30 year old parts. It should be noted that manufacturers are only required to have replacement parts available for cars 10 years old or newer, and once that 10 year mark passes, good luck. I've actually called for parts on a 9 year old GM car and was told, 'discontinued.'

If you're in Southern California all that may be moot, since I would be willing to bet that most places that actually DO have older Porsche parts on the shelf are there. But if this is your daily driver, and you live somewhere other than "Close to LA", get ready for a week or more without a car while you wait for some oddball part. And let's not kid ourselves, a 30 year old car is going to break down/require repair much more often than a 10 year old car.

Comments

Pooh: A+

herbertstemple: Solid advice for OP.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post

For a weekend/date/fun car? Absolutely. A daily driver? No chance in hell would I ever recommend this to anyone. As previously mentioned, maintenance and repair is what will kill your wallet here, not to mention the headache of sourcing 30 year old parts. It should be noted that manufacturers are only required to have replacement parts available for cars 10 years old or newer, and once that 10 year mark passes, good luck. I've actually called for parts on a 9 year old GM car and was told, 'discontinued.'

If you're in Southern California all that may be moot, since I would be willing to bet that most places that actually DO have older Porsche parts on the shelf are there. But if this is your daily driver, and you live somewhere other than "Close to LA", get ready for a week or more without a car while you wait for some oddball part. And let's not kid ourselves, a 30 year old car is going to break down/require repair much more often than a 10 year old car.
    Wrench jockey is God.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post

That's how you end a thread

Name:  2efefb17061b758f99c024da0e8d59c5.gif
Views: 144
Size:  1.59 MB
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Thread Information