Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sony hack

Load Metric
    T.D. also did a *subliminal* soundtrack to Thief, where the particularly tense scenes (the burning of the vault so on) had super low frequency tones specifically designed to augment that sense of tension. "Specifically designed" as in based on actual scientific research done regarding the influence of low-range frequencies/human perception thereof. Its all quite perverse.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Thief, tho flawed, is probably one of the best American criminal studies on film. And in my opinion, possibly Caan's finest work.
    I just watched this after seeing this post. I like Caan and this was no exception. I like reading your take on TV and movies, what aspects make this flawed.

Load Metric
    i also will be watching Thief tonight due to above posts

Load Metric
    Name:  kim-jong-un-the-interview-casting-couch.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  34.5 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdwst Hstlr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Thief, tho flawed, is probably one of the best American criminal studies on film. And in my opinion, possibly Caan's finest work.
    I just watched this after seeing this post. I like Caan and this was no exception. I like reading your take on TV and movies, what aspects make this flawed.

Jim Belushi straight up is terrible, and the score itself was extreeeemely dated and rushed. Like the entire beach celebration scene is a fucking catastrophe. From stem to stern, its atrocious.

But the scene with Caan and Tuesday Weld in the cafe, where he describes jail and his experience there... I mean, thats... thats ... I fucking cant, its so good, its so much better than anything I could ever come up with. And its executed flawlessly. But yeah, ugh that soundtrack sometimes. For orchestral pieces its insufferable. For ambience, its profoundly advanced and effective tho.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    [QUOTE=4Dragons;330139]
    Quote Originally Posted by Benford View Post
    ....don't forget his later movie Thief and the epic Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Some of the rough, green edges of Caan's acting had matured by then...
    Forget about the Gambler, get a copy of the original "Hustler" with Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott.

Newman is the arguably the best American actor ever, Scott's not far behind and when you watch this you'll see it. Simple story revolving around gambling but it's raw.

Black and white helps but Newman is what keeps your attention from the beginning.

Load Metric
    Friends of Eddie Coyle needs some love in this conversation btw.

Load Metric
    Shock of shocks;

FBI: 1

Famewhore security clowns: 0

New evidence has emerged linking North Korea to the recent attacks on Sony, thanks to research conducted by the firm AlienVault. Using samples of the code released by the FBI, AlienVault's labs director Jaime Blasco was able to track down a copy of the malware that had fallen into one of the company's malware honeypots and analyze the software for clues. According to the program's compiler metadata, the programs and resources that compose the malware were compiled between Novermber 22nd and 24th — just days before the attack hit Sony — and the computer that did the compiling was set up to display its text in Korean characters.
    At the same time, North Korea is already denying its involvement in the attack, today issuing its strongest statement yet. "My country publicly declared that it would follow international norms banning hacking and piracy," a North Korean diplomat told Reuters. Many believe the attack was retaliation for Sony's upcoming film The Interview, which depicts a comedic assassination attempt on North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, although the studio has denied reports that it is planning to accuse the country of the attacks.
    Still, AlienVault' analysis provides the most definitive evidence so far connecting North Korea to the attack, particularly given how specifically the program targets Sony. The malware Blasco analyzed used a simple login and password to gain access to Sony's system, suggesting the attackers had already gained access to company data elsewhere. Once they had that access, this program was used to wipe the company's hard drives, take down the email system, and display the now-notorious skeleton graphic. Even if some of the code was reused from preexisting malware, the new analysis from AlienVault suggests the program was customized and deployed by Korean speakers, strongly implicating North Korea's state hackers in the attack.

Thread Information