Thread: Bet against Lakers every game in the early season?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Bet against Lakers every game in the early season?

As all of you know, I am a huge Dodgers fan, but am also a Lakers fan. The Lakers are not as important to me as the Dodgers, but I still like them.

Sadly, the team has been terrible lately, and while they believe they have improved a lot over their miserable prior season, I think the team is still going to be horrendous.

Among the factors working against them:

- The team is terrible defensively. This was also seen last year, as the scores of some of their games looked like All-Star games (148-130 variety)

- Kobe isn't what he used to be. He's 36 years old, but his body has a lot of wear from both injury and 18 years in the NBA. He isn't going to be able to carry this team, and in fact may be a detriment to it if he hogs the ball and still thinks he can play like he did 10 years ago.

- Julius Randle, one of the few X factors who could have made a surprising impact on the team, is out for the season

Note that I'm not listing Steve Nash above, because the team is actually better off without him.

Anyway, Tuesday's line was Houston -6, and the game was a blowout. Final score was 108-90, but the Lakers were down over 20 most of the way.

I think the lines (and the public) might be too favorable toward the Lakers because Kobe is back this year, not yet realizing that 2014-15 Kobe is a different player than the Kobe of old.

I am also considering hammering the over because the Lakers defense is worse than I think is generally acknowledged, though I'm afraid if they get blown out enough times, they won't cover the over on those games.

As sad as it is as a Lakers fan, I think I am going to just keep betting against them until the point spreads adjust to their (lack of) ability.

What do you guys think?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    :whynot

Load Metric
    Didn't read all of this, I would think betting on them would be the better play, since the public has already been betting against them, and is likely to really pile on against them after their terrible start.

Load Metric
    They are +11.5 against the clippers friday, and the clippers will have played a game thursday night, while the lakers will be on a day of rest.

Load Metric
    https://vine.co/v/OMF2OjKnIqm

LOL, so glad that this rapist will have to play out his final years on teams like this.

I think that the point spreads will adjust much quicker than the over/unders will, which sometimes lag behind for some reason. Hit those overs hard.

I rode Grizzlies unders for over a month two years ago and cashed huge.

The Lakers are really, really horrible defensively and might actually be ranked dead last on my list of teams to watch, even behind Philly.

They now have incentive to tank also, as they only keep their 1st round pick this year if it's in the top 5 due to the Nash trade (LOL)

Comments

son of lockman: good post

Load Metric
    I'd take them over the total a bunch early on here too. Bad defense = lotsa points.

Load Metric
    Byron and his archaic approach to the game isn't going to help either. He wants his players eschewing 3s for mid-range 2s, which are horribly inefficient shots.

The books will adjust quickly, to the point where they'll become value shortly. I didn't understand many of the lines so far. I think all the games except maybe 3 were double digit games last night, so there were a lot of blowouts. I think that may be a more interesting trend for betting. That the gulf between the good and bad teams is larger than most think.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    Didn't read all of this, I would think betting on them would be the better play, since the public has already been betting against them, and is likely to really pile on against them after their terrible start.
    Maybe, but I felt the Houston -6 line was a joke. I wish I had seen that before the game, because I definitely would have put it on Houston.

I admit that the Clippers game for Friday is iffy, because of the Clippers also playing tonight.

Lines like 11 can be tough anyway, because sometimes they can be decided by trash time. I much prefer lines like the 6 we saw on Tuesday.

With that said, I might fire against them and with the over anyway.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    They are +11.5 against the clippers friday, and the clippers will have played a game thursday night, while the lakers will be on a day of rest.
    In general you are right but I we wouldnt bet that Clippers game unless it was like 16 points.

Load Metric
    Lakers down to 208.5

I was hoping for 208 maybe hoping for 207 now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    https://vine.co/v/OMF2OjKnIqm

LOL, so glad that this rapist will have to play out his final years on teams like this.

I think that the point spreads will adjust much quicker than the over/unders will, which sometimes lag behind for some reason. Hit those overs hard.

I rode Grizzlies unders for over a month two years ago and cashed huge.

The Lakers are really, really horrible defensively and might actually be ranked dead last on my list of teams to watch, even behind Philly.

They now have incentive to tank also, as they only keep their 1st round pick this year if it's in the top 5 due to the Nash trade (LOL)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    :LOL

Comments

son of lockman: LOL

Load Metric
    He's bacccccccccccck

Didn't have the balls to take Lakers ML, but took them for +9.5 -110 and also +6.5 +150 for a tidy sum of green.

TY SWAGGY P

Name:  Swaggy-P-fleshes-out-his-character-for-prospective-impersonators.-Andrew-D.-Bernstein-NBAE-Getty.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  72.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Almost took the over 213 but chickened out.

Second game in a row that I wanted to take, didn't, and would have won.

Should have done it for the return of Swaggy P alone.

Load Metric
    All they needed was Swags

Name:  20140330_mta_al2_139.0.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  40.3 KB

Still comically awful. At least Philly is kind of trying to develop young players. With Randle out and once Kobe passes MJ on the scoring list (mid-December probably), this team has absolutely nothing going for them except the incentive to bottom out to keep their pick.

Name:  jim-buss.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  26.6 KB

Thread Information