Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Nash out for season (and probably done for good)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Steve Nash out for season (and probably done for good)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2014-15-season

Boy were the Lakers ever stupid for signing him to a 3-year contract at that age. I said this right when he was signed.

This season-ending injury occurred while he was carrying bags. You can't make this stuff up.

Comments

son of lockman: i said the same thing also. he was already over the hill when they signed him. but the front office is run by morons

ftpjesus: Phx is laughing all the way to the 2015 draft right now because they get LAs pick

Banned
    Load Metric
    dang dog, this makes the dodgers look good and that's saying something!

Banned
    Load Metric
    CLIPSHOW.JPG

Load Metric
    so am I crazy, or should we all just be loading up on the under 32 wins for the Lakers this season. That team is going to be horribad.

sidenote, if anyone wants to bet on who finishes with more wins this year, between the Bucks and the Lakers, at even money, hit me up. I've got the Bucks
    Last edited by gut; 10-24-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    so am I crazy, or should we all just be loading up on the under 32 wins for the Lakers this season. That team is going to be horribad.

sidenote, if anyone wants to bet on who finishes with more wins this year, between the Bucks and the Lakers, at even money, hit me up. I've got the Bucks
    Don't underestimate Kobe.

He will make players around him better.

But it will be a shitty season regardless.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: HAHAHAHA Kobe making others around him better rep. GTFOH.

ftpjesus: Dude Kobe is about as done as the steak bearing his name.. HEs old broke down and just money hungry fucker now. Nobody wanted to come to LA to play with him. That should tell ya something

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

5 years ago maybe, and with the right teammates. Kobe, Lin, Swaggy P, Wes, and 8 power forwards doesn't invoke a lot of confidence here.....

Load Metric

5 years ago maybe, and with the right teammates. Kobe, Lin, Swaggy P, Wes, and 8 power forwards doesn't invoke a lot of confidence here.....
    Have you watched Kobe in the preseason? He is still making ridiculous shots.

And they're not all fucked up mentally as they have been in the past.

I'm not expecting miracles, but they won't be the worst in the NBA.

Comments

son of lockman: the fakers won't win another NBA title for 20 years dude. that's reality.

Hockey Guy: Have to offset the retards rep.

Load Metric

Have you watched Kobe in the preseason? He is still making ridiculous shots.

And they're not all fucked up mentally as they have been in the past.

I'm not expecting miracles, but they won't be the worst in the NBA.
    Not the worst but probably bottom 5.

Kobe has been getting broken by players like the legendary Alec Burks:

It would almost be better for them long-term to have Kobe get hurt and not take 25 shots a game, stunting the development of younger guys or guys that could at least develop into meaningful pieces for the future.

Trying to appease this psychopath has crippled the franchise and having the reputable Jeanie Buss come out and label those who won't play with him as 'losers' only hurts them further. Let the lunatic son make those comments, not one of the pillars.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...akers-downfall

While this is probably to the extreme, it is saying something that no marquee free agent really gave LA a sniff. Lakers fans can claim that they didn't want Dwight to re-sign but please.

Comments

ftpjesus: Bout summed it all up nicely. Jeanie Buss needs to kick her brother in the Nuts. Meanwhile Dr B has to be rolling over in his grave with what has happened to his team.

Load Metric
    who gives a fuck about the NBA

Comments

son of lockman: I hear ya. just a bunch of dumb ass n-word who are over paid. thing is what can you do with a 7'1'' n-word with a 2 inch dick who can't play basketball?

ftpjesus: Have them do Gold Bond commericals ;)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Maybe they can trade him in for Kevin Nash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Boy were the Lakers ever stupid for signing him to a 3-year contract at that age. I said this right when he was signed.

This season-ending injury occurred while he was carrying bags. You can't make this stuff up.
    That's on them.

That bag carrying clause was a message from his "teammates" IMO.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    dang dog, this makes the dodgers look good and that's saying something!
    Sadly, that's exactly what I thought when I read this story.

Comments

ftpjesus: BTW been watching some of the young Dodger talent playing in the AZ Fall League.. Definitely got some good draft picks recently. Meanwhile AZs best pitching prospect Archie Bradley still sucks sadly

Platinum
    Load Metric

Actually you can make this stuff up, as I am sure Nash did (in this instance at least). He pretty much said I can't play anymore but I refuse to retire because I want the fucking money. Now all of the sudden he has "pinched nerves" in his back from carrying luggage?? My fucking ass. Dude just stole 30m and didn't care who knew he was doing it. What a piece of shit.

Comments

ftpjesus: retirement plan.. Odds say Nash signs a one day contract next summer to retire as a Phx Sun... Maybe this is Phoenix's last joke on the Lakers over this trade.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Actually you can make this stuff up, as I am sure Nash did (in this instance at least). He pretty much said I can't play anymore but I refuse to retire because I want the fucking money. Now all of the sudden he has "pinched nerves" in his back from carrying luggage?? My fucking ass. Dude just stole 30m and didn't care who knew he was doing it. What a piece of shit.
    The last thing Steve Nash is is a POS. Mark my words. if he can't play again he'll donate most of that shit.

He's a class act period.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

While Nash had a high-profile divorce (with kids), I doubt he is trying to bleed the Lakers/his NBA career simply for money. Dude is beloved by the media and almost all other players....he has a guaranteed cushy gig at Turner or Espn if he wants it once he officially retires. It's always a possibility, but I doubt he is in fear of being broke.

The guy has had chronic back issues for years now. Athletes are no different than normal people when it comes to those type ailments. It can flare up playing basketball, carrying bags, bending over to tie your shoe, twisting in your sleep....anything.

Comments

ftpjesus: Nash= Tony Romo in a few yrs

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Things were never the same after his baby came out black

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Recently Nash posted an ill-advised video on social media, showing himself golfing.

While golfing is nowhere near the same as playing in the NBA, it got people angry because he was getting $9 million to NOT play for the Lakers, and the post was essentially bragging, "Hey, look what I can still do!"

In response to the public criticism, he wrote the following "open letter" to fans:

I definitely don’t want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can’t sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I’m bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That’s what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy – especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor – but maybe I can bring some clarity.

I’ve always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I’ve worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it’s been a disaster on both fronts but I’ve never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven’t been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that’s a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I’ve lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment.

Competitiveness, professionalism, naiveté and hope that at some point I’d turn a corner has kept me fighting to get back. As our legendary trainer Gary Vitti, who is a close friend, told me, ‘You’re the last to know’ – and my back has shown me the forecast over the past 18-20 months. To ignore it any longer is irresponsible. But that doesn’t mean that life stops.

This may be hard for people to understand unless you’ve played NBA basketball, but there is an incredible difference between this game and swinging a golf club, hiking, even hitting a tennis ball or playing basketball at the park. Fortunately those other activities aren’t debilitating, but playing an NBA game usually puts me out a couple of weeks. Once you’re asked to accelerate and decelerate with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving it is a completely different demand.

I’m doing what I’ve always done which is share a bit of my off-court life in the same way everyone else does. Going forward I hope we all can refocus our energies on getting behind these Lakers. This team will be back and Staples will be rocking.

While the above letter seems reasonable when you first read it, I have to call BS on some of it.

In March, Steve brazenly stated, "The reality is, I’m not going to retire because I want the money." --- http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/nba-...ney-retirement

This was in response to people asking him why he's not retiring when it's clear he can't realistically play anymore.

So his critics have a lot of fair points. Nash is neither evil nor unethical for taking the money, as he has a legal contract with the Lakers guaranteeing him this money.

However, when you sign a large 3-year contract, and are basically useless for the entire duration, that's when you keep your mouth shut. You don't post stupid things on social media where you're taking part in physical recreational activities while collecting that money for not playing. You can't say "I'm not retiring because I want the money (for doing nothing)", and then a few months later write a heartfelt letter about how much sleep you're losing because you can't contribute to the team.

When you're in Nash's position, you take the money, shut up, and stay out of sight. If you want to be seen as a great guy, either return the money or donate it to charity. If you're going to do what 99.9% of the rest of the population would do (keep it), then you need to keep your head down.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Nash has ambitions to get into sports on the business/entertainment side. That is why he probably moved to the Lakers (Los Angeles) in the first place and did that documentary with ESPN last year. When he signed the contract I think he really thought he was going to be able to contribute, compete for a championship and enhance his personal brand.

Obviously that didn't work out. At this point he probably calculates playing badly now would do more damage to his brand than not playing. I don't think he has any interest in disappearing and laying low. I think he is still trying to keep his profile up, repair his brand, and explore business posibilities.

In a podcast with Simmons last year, him and simmons briefly touched on the fact the Lakers had more options than just keeping him and eating the whole contract. They are doing this because at this point with the horrible team they have now it is actually in their best interests, as his expiring contract will give them leverage financially as they move forward. So it isn't as one sided as it is being portrayed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Nash has ambitions to get into sports on the business/entertainment side. That is why he probably moved to the Lakers (Los Angeles) in the first place and did that documentary with ESPN last year. When he signed the contract I think he really thought he was going to be able to contribute, compete for a championship and enhance his personal brand.

Obviously that didn't work out. At this point he probably calculates playing badly now would do more damage to his brand than not playing. I don't think he has any interest in disappearing and laying low. I think he is still trying to keep his profile up, repair his brand, and explore business posibilities.

In a podcast with Simmons last year, him and simmons briefly touched on the fact the Lakers had more options than just keeping him and eating the whole contract. They are doing this because at this point with the horrible team they have now it is actually in their best interests, as his expiring contract will give them leverage financially as they move forward. So it isn't as one sided as it is being portrayed.
    Fair points, but so far he's not doing a very good job of creating a Steve Nash "brand" that he can use to move forward.

Right now he's just pissing everyone off.

I think his wisest move would be to keep his mouth shut about things like "wanting the money" and cease from posting videos showing him active. He should try to embrace the "veteran guy who can't play but is helpful in the clubhouse" role. That's the sort of thing he should be shooting for at this point, but it seems recently he is just doing what he wants without regard to how the public will perceive it.

I do believe he signed the contract with the intention to contribute, and in his defense, he played well in the year prior to coming to the Lakers. However, he also had to know that the chance of him contributing a lot in the final year of the contract (ages 40-41) was slim, given the history of every other NBA player ever. You just can't be good at the NBA at age 40, no matter who you are. The Nash of 2012-13 was only mediocre, and was in fact pretty much the way I expected him to be at that point. Even without the injury problems, he would have been a non-factor.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the Lakers to win a game, as their early schedule is fairly tough. Some are predicting they will start 0-17, and win their first game against Detroit on December 2.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP
    When you're in Nash's position, you take the money, shut up, and stay out of sight. If you want to be seen as a great guy, either return the money or donate it to charity. If you're going to do what 99.9% of the rest of the population would do (keep it), then you need to keep your head down.
    \

LOL, stay of sight? We're not talking about Dan Druff here, it's a little more difficult for some
    to "stay out of sight" when a camera crew has not been assigned to them........You realize Steve Nash is a white boy, (add Canadian) who has excelled in a predominantly Afro American game unlike few others.

Wake up and smell the roses dude.

Thread Information