Thread: 10 Things You Can't Say In Canada

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

10 Things You Can't Say In Canada

1)
    Anything With a Fake Canadian Accent
    When was the fake Canadian accent invented? It must have been sometime shortly after the country's inception in 1867 because it's really starting to show its rust. As cute and quaint as it might sound, the fake "Canadian accent" sounds nothing at all like how actual Canadians speak. That's not to say we don't have our own unique way of speaking, it's just that we're a lot more Wayne Gretzky than Doug Mackenzie.

2)
    Disparaging Comments About Hockey
    You might think P.K. Subban is a showboat or that the Ottawa Senators will never win a Stanley Cup, and you might be right, but be careful before you utter a disparaging remark about a hockey player or team in Canada. As a general rule, Toronto Maple Leafs insults can fly pretty much anywhere across the country, even in Toronto where fans mostly have a sense of humour. Montreal Canadiens insults, on the other hand, can get you in trouble whether you're in Beaver Creek, Yukon or Blackhead, Newfoundland. Habs fans are everywhere and there's nothing funny about the most storied team in NHL history. So when it comes to insulting the sport of hockey, just don't do it, unless you really want to see the gloves come off.

3)
    Cheese and Gravy? Ew.
    No one can deny the magical relationship between french fries and ketchup. However, if you're ordering fries and you're asked if you'd like poutine instead, your answer should always be yes. For the uninitiated, poutine is a common Canadian dish that consists of french fries topped with squeaky cheese curds and gravy. If you're concerned about that expanding gut of yours, many restaurants offer a healthier, vegetarian gravy substitute. Some diehard poutine fans might call mushroom or vegetable gravy sacrilege, but the only real crime is opting for boring old french fries when you can indulge in a Canadian delicacy.

4)
    Hey! I'm Walking Here!
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where do you think you are, New York City? In Canada, there's only one thing you say when someone bumps into you: sorry. The classic apology can mean anything from sincere acknowledgement of a mistake to passive aggressive annoyance. Just be sure you don't put any stink on the word; as annoyed as you might be, it's important to say sorry without sounding like you're trying to start something.

5)
    The F-word (in Quebec)
    The next time you stub your toe you might also want to bite your tongue before uttering a swear word if you happen to be in Quebec. It's not that Quebecers are prudes or dislike foul language, per se, it's just that they happen to have their own heavenly style of swearing, which involves cursing the sacred items of the Catholic Church. It might seem a bit weird until you let an angry tah-bar-nac (the box where the Eucharist is kept) roll off your tongue. It has to be one of the most satisfying words to utter in a fit of agitation. Other popular swear words include os-tee (the communion wafer) and ka-lees (the cup from which you drink the holy wine). For extra punch, try combining the words into super swears: os-ti tah-bar-nac or ka-lees tah-bar-nac. Whatever you do, keep those F-bombs to yourself.

6)
    Canada is the 51st U.S. State
    Canada is not the same country as the United States. Everyone in Canada knows this, which is why it's so frustrating when people around the world don't seem to realize that our home and native land isn't simply the 51st state of the U.S. Their confusion is somewhat understandable: Canada and the U.S. are such strong allies and many Canadian celebrities hop the border to find success in Hollywood. But if you ever want to get under the skin of a mild-mannered Canuck, ask them if they voted for Obama or Romney. You're bound to get some major eye rolls.

7)
    Canadian Beer Sucks
    It's not that we can't take the criticism or that our taste buds are numbed by years of drinking "moose urine," as the Americans like to call it, it's simply that we don't understand why a nation of light beer guzzlers think they have the right to insult beer, whether it be Canadian, German, Polish, English or Japanese. It's a bit like someone who grew up on cheese-in-a-can screwing up their nose at free-range, organic chèvre. If you don't know how beer is supposed to taste, please keep your comments to yourself

8)
    A-boot
    Let's face it: a-boot jokes have always confused Canadians. It's true what they say about accents: everyone has one and you can't always hear your own but this whole business about Canadians saying a-boot instead of about is just crazy. If anything, we say a-boat or, more accurately, a-beh-out. So, don't say a-boot unless you want to get kicked by one.

9)
    I Disagree With Your Religious Beliefs
    Argue over politics, expound your views on gay marriage, even publicly take a stance on abortion, but never talk about religion. Unless, of course, you're saying something to the effect of "I support your right to believe what you believe." Though the country is more than two-thirds Christian, religion remains an issue Canadians prefer to keep within the walls of their private homes and holy places. A lot of the world's conflicts are rooted in religion and Canadians are a peace-loving people. It all comes down to the fact that we want to like each other. Maybe the best way to do that is to ignore each other's differences.

Quebec Should Separate From Canada
    The issue of Quebec sovereignty has been a controversial topic in Canada for the last 50 years or so. To put it simply, a good portion of the Quebec population wants the province to separate from Canada, 49.2 per cent voted in favour of separation in a 1995 referendum. As for the rest of the country? Well, they see this as a bit of a snub. Quebec sovereignty deals with a lot of touchy topics from cultural genocide to violent revolution. If you want to give the pot a good ol' stir, talk about why you think the province should become its own independent nation.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/c...y-canada/?id=9

Comments

1marley1: or what

Hockey Guy: Nice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I do like when Canadian actors sneak into Hollywood, think they're getting away with playing American, and then an "aboot" slips out. Somehow the directors don't catch all of these and retake the scenes. Some Canadians do better than others at playing American and covering the accents.

The weirdest accent hiding comes from Australians. They actually do a good job at hiding their Australian accent and sounding American (which is pretty amazing), but they also have this weird, unnatural way of speaking when they do so. I saw one actor at a Vegas stage show do this, and while his accent-hiding was great, it instead came off as overacting. Either that, or his acting just sucked.

Simon Baker of "The Mentalist" was actually good at hiding his accent and not sounding weird, but he did let the Australian accent slip at times in a few of the episodes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also nobody says Canada is the 51st state, nor does anyone believe it's part of the US.

Nobody even derisively says that. I have no idea where they are getting that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I do like when Canadian actors sneak into Hollywood, think they're getting away with playing American, and then an "aboot" slips out. Somehow the directors don't catch all of these and retake the scenes. Some Canadians do better than others at playing American and covering the accents.

The weirdest accent hiding comes from Australians. They actually do a good job at hiding their Australian accent and sounding American (which is pretty amazing), but they also have this weird, unnatural way of speaking when they do so. I saw one actor at a Vegas stage show do this, and while his accent-hiding was great, it instead came off as overacting. Either that, or his acting just sucked.

Simon Baker of "The Mentalist" was actually good at hiding his accent and not sounding weird, but he did let the Australian accent slip at times in a few of the episodes.
    You do a pretty good Australian accent. When you're trying to sound English that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    I was pretty surprised when I found out McNulty from The Wire was English.

Anyway...

List is from Reader's Digest. Cutting edge material from a cutting edge source.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Mcnultys best character in a movie was in 28 days with Sandra bullock. That movie owns

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I was more surprised to learn that Stringer was too.

Anyway, you wouldn't worry so much about what people think of you if you realized how seldom they do. This is especially true of Canada.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I was more surprised to learn that Stringer was too.

Anyway, you wouldn't worry so much about what people think of you if you realized how seldom they do. This is especially true of Canada.
    Not finishing high school wasn't your best move because you have next to no reading comprehension.

Re-read the thread title and your last sentence and then ask yourself what two things don't go together?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Anyway...

Like if that list was in the Toronto Globe and Mail you'd be ok with it?

Suck a lemon.

Load Metric
    Canada is the 51st state?

lol, no American would say that because we all know the 51st state is Israel...

indeed, on Old Glory we might as well put a six pointed star in with the 50 five-pointed ones
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Anyway...

Like if that list was in the Toronto Globe and Mail you'd be ok with it?

Suck a lemon.
    Well, no, but if it was the Vancouver Sun, I might think otherwise, but not the Globe & Mail, no.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    In this thread we rate which media sources deceive us in the most believable, up to date, and entertaining ways. All while being owned by pretty much the same group.

I do like seeing that I'm not the only person under 50 that watches Simon baker though.

And one thing to add to your list is don't scream "Fuck the Queen." They don't like that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also nobody says Canada is the 51st state, nor does anyone believe it's part of the US.

Load Metric
    Most Canadians have trouble hearing that Americans are way friendlier than Canadians. Like it or hate it that is just the way it is. At least the Americans i have met.

North western WA is the nuts

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  497.2 KB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Most Canadians have trouble hearing that Americans are way friendlier than Canadians. Like it or hate it that is just the way it is. At least the Americans i have met.
    Retarded people are some of the happiest people I've met.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Retarded people are some of the happiest people I've met.
    also, stronger than fuck sometimes.

Load Metric
    Baron I have talked to the igloo builders, mounties, beavers and Celine Dion.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: a bitter pill to swallow so try sticking it up your ass

Load Metric

We have enough loser ass states without having Canada sucking on Uncle Sam"s tits as well.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    It will be the 51st state once we run out of natural resources.

Thread Information