Thread: New televised poker coming: "Poker Night in America"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

New televised poker coming: "Poker Night in America"

Scheduled for early 2014:

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2013/0...-add-15997.htm

Nolan Dalla is involved now, as well.

I don't understand how this is going to be new and revolutionary like they claim.

Seems very much like previous poker shows -- some good, some okay, some horrible.

They act like a mixture of pros, celebrities, and average-Joes at the table will be something new and exciting. Hasn't all of this already been done in some form?

Apparently it hasn't been picked up yet by any network. I wonder if they're going to buy time like Epic Poker League did. You saw how that worked out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I don't understand how this is going to be new and revolutionary like they claim.

Seems very much like previous poker shows -- some good, some okay, some horrible.

They act like a mixture of pros, celebrities, and average-Joes at the table will be something new and exciting. Hasn't all of this already been done in some form?

Apparently it hasn't been picked up yet by any network. I wonder if they're going to buy time like Epic Poker League did. You saw how that worked out.
    imo the high stakes poker with the 1 mil buy in was the only thing worth watching. it was sweet seeing people throw out those huge chunks of cash.

Comments

ShadyJ: This

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

imo the high stakes poker with the 1 mil buy in was the only thing worth watching. it was sweet seeing people throw out those huge chunks of cash.

I loved it too back in the day. In later years, I heard chatter that they were only playing a portion of their own money. Sponsor money, etc.

Everything, I loved before 2010 turned out to be fraud to some degree - and I never suspected. They took away my innocence. Please hold me.

New show doesn't have to be new or innovative. Just bring the latest hot shots to the table so we get to know them somewhat.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It could land on the new Fox One Network that is taking over for the Speed channel. They will likely be looking for tons of content and this might fit the bill unless NBC picks it up for their Sports network.

I can't really see much poker going to any syndicated tv channels anymore for obvious reasons of where former backing for those shows came from.

Their is a sportsbetting show coming to CNBC called Money Talks that premiers in September that might be interesting:

http://realscreen.com/2013/07/30/cnbc-adds-money-talks/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    It could land on the new Fox One Network that is taking over for the Speed channel. They will likely be looking for tons of content and this might fit the bill unless NBC picks it up for their Sports network.

I can't really see much poker going to any syndicated tv channels anymore for obvious reasons of where former backing for those shows came from.

Their is a sportsbetting show coming to CNBC called Money Talks that premiers in September that might be interesting:

http://realscreen.com/2013/07/30/cnbc-adds-money-talks/

This show is already under a lot of heat from the pregame pro's about the host, who no one in the sports industry knows, yet has 2 felonies for telemarketing scams. He has hit at 71.5 for the past 7 seasons, btw.

Here is an article about the guy,
    http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...tiple-arrests/

Steve Fezzik ‏@FezzikSports 23h
    I will send Steven Steven Stevens a xmas card thanking him for not entering the LVH cntst in 2008 and 2009 his 71%would have moved me toNo2

Kelly ‏@kellyinvegas 20h

@FezzikSports @VegasRunner has any1 else heard of this guy?

Vegas Runner ‏@VegasRunner 4h

NO, but I've only been in Vegas books for 17 yrs..I'll deal him -105 all day RT @kellyinvegas @FezzikSports has any1 else heard of this guy?

Banned
    Load Metric
    VegasRunner is a douchebag

Not sure if you ever noticed that or not.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I actually created a thread to discuss the star of that upcoming CNBC sportsbetting show:

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...mmer-amp-fraud

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    It's a weak show. The players all talk on top of each other and have nothing to say. It's hard to follow. Feels like they spent about 20 bucks on each episode...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Numba3 View Post
    It's a weak show. The players all talk on top of each other and have nothing to say. It's hard to follow. Feels like they spent about 20 bucks on each episode...
    Have to agree. and its quite apparent CBS Sports doesnt give a shit about it. They re ran the final round of the PGA Tour last Sunday and totally ran over the time block it was scheduled on. Goes to prove they had more faith in a rerun of a golf tourney then the poker show.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Numba3 View Post
    I also found the backchatter annoying. No real discussion of strategy either. I don't think the show will appeal to serious players or casual viewers. Hard too see who their target audience is.

Load Metric
    no gabe kaplan?

fuck outta here.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    no AJ Benza?

fuck outta here.
    Name:  dali_double_moustache.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  62.7 KB

Load Metric
    Kristy Arnett quit her job at Poker News so she could be on "Poker Night in America" and become a Professional Poker Player.

How is that working for her?

Load Metric
    this show is a snoozfest, and the guy in charge (todd anderson who started heartland poker tour) is infatuated with these old tv pros like robert williamson that no one cares about

and lol, kristy arnett "poker pro"

she's horrible

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wish I could short-sell on the future of these shows when they're announced.

It was so obvious from square one that this was going to be a gigantic fail.

Load Metric
    I wish I could short-sell on the future of these shows when they're announced.

It was so obvious from square one that this was going to be a gigantic fail.
    Lol Druff.

When did Gavin Smith suffer his stroke?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    In later years, I heard chatter that they were only playing a portion of their own money. Sponsor money, etc.
    The entire industry hangs off sponsor money. Actual poker skills/results a very small portion of the picture, they are borderline irrelevant. If anyone wants to learn more about the world of poker that exists beyond the cameras and sponsorship deals, bon appetite.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Thread Information