Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The power of Shark Tank, and how even the smartest can be duped

Platinum
    Load Metric

The power of Shark Tank, and how even the smartest can be duped

So I was watching a rerun of easily one of my fav shows of all time Shark Tank, and the product "Breathometer" was on. This product made history, as it became the first one to get ALL 5 of the investors to pitch in on it. Actually I think they had an update on it, but I saw the original episode as well. In the update they had Mr Wonderful visiting the plant and doing the standard "business is booming!" schtick as they always do with the updates.

https://www.breathometer.com/

Basically it is a breathalyzer that attaches to your smartphone, for 50 bucks. Genius right? I was like I need one of those I could have some fun with it. And if they ALL invested has to be a slam dunk winner right? Wrong. From all reports it is a complete sham. I googled the product just to get more info about it, and 1st result is the amazon page...with reviews.

I started reading all the reviews and well.....it wasn't quite what I expected. Basically a bunch of people complaining that the device flat out does not work, is a scam and they want their money back. I was pretty shocked as I routinely read reviews for things I buy and had never seen such bad experiences, especially on a product with the Shark Tank "cache" behind it.

http://www.amazon.com/Breathometer-A...cm_cr_dpwidget

Out of 121 reviews, almost half gave it the worst rating of 1 star (54 people) Another 15 gave it 2 stars. And of course, you can be sure the overall score would have been lower if all the "glowing reviews" from the company employees themselves were not included. 39 5 star reviews amazingly appear, despite reviews all over the internet saying the device is a complete piece of shit and is not even close to accurate, with false readings all over the place.

Just goes to show you the power of television, and having the right people backing a product can get you away with anything. And there are plans to expand the company apparently, I guess to make a bunch of other shit that does not work.

Load Metric
    Never saw the episode but can't imagine why the sharks would invest in this. Just has lawsuit written all over when someone blows clean and then goes out and kills someone drunk.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Never saw the episode but can't imagine why the sharks would invest in this. Just has lawsuit written all over when someone blows clean and then goes out and kills someone drunk.
    I thought the same thing, I guess they have disclaimers or something that they feel protect them adequately.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    I thought the same thing, I guess they have disclaimers or something that they feel protect them adequately.
    Would really like to see how they could do this. Imagine you are drunk at a party and your friend pulls this out. You blow clean. Its not just the purchaser who I'm worried about here but the dozens of other drunks (non owners) who blow without knowing anything about this.

Silver
    Load Metric
    For entertainment purposes only. Or some shit like that.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    For entertainment purposes only. Or some shit like that.
    this

i would be shocked if this wasnt on the screen with a click to agree everytime before using

Load Metric
    I don't get that show. How can they decide to invest in a product before seeing if it works or not first? You just give a pitch and then they offer an investment for a percentage? Is that verbal deceleration binding or is there a whole bunch of shit going on behind the scenes that they don't show?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Shark Tank is one of my favorite TV shows but many of the deals that they make on the show never see the light of day once the sharks/investors do their due diligence afterward which all deals are pending that to actually happen.

They usually do one update a week of a deal that was made per new episode of the new and how things have gone but many of them just don't even happen.

Load Metric
    I've seen versions of breathalyzer on the walls of a ton of bars. You grab straw, and for a few bucks, get a reading before getting on road. I'll have to look at whatever disclaimer they are using as I imagine this would be similar legally.

I saw this the night it aired also and found it genius, and assumed everyone would have this app in short order. Even if they didn't buy it, it almost seemed like something parents would buy their adult children. I thought it was a gold mine.

That was assuming that it worked. I couldn't figure out how it worked? I'm a dumbass when it comes to tech, but couldn't figure how an app would work to measure bac on all smartphones? How? Phone clearly wasn't designed to detect alcohol, so how could an app and a straw make the phone process it?

It was beyond my understanding, but figured they checked it out. I always figure there is a pretty extensive screening process on the show. That it doesn't work makes sense because how could it? But I assumed they would have figured that out before the show.

Shame. Seemed like a surefire hit, and I wasn't surprised they were all interested. The minute I saw the demo I thought it would be huge if it worked.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    I don't get that show. How can they decide to invest in a product before seeing if it works or not first? You just give a pitch and then they offer an investment for a percentage? Is that verbal deceleration binding or is there a whole bunch of shit going on behind the scenes that they don't show?

But all the other reality tv programs make perfect sense to you? It's a fucking tv show dude.

Load Metric
    The BReathalyzer was def not made for entertainment purposes only. When they do the update the guy(and during his original pitch) calls himself a medical company. He wnts to also move into diabetes, heartrate and all other types of shit. I don't think it was meant to be a scam, but more like just a piece of dog shit.

love that show though
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Shark Tank is one of my favorite TV shows but many of the deals that they make on the show never see the light of day once the sharks/investors do their due diligence afterward which all deals are pending that to actually happen.

They usually do one update a week of a deal that was made per new episode of the new and how things have gone but many of them just don't even happen.
    What I was about to say to PLOL, they thoroughly vet all the products and numbers that the pitcher is claiming for the deal to actually happen later. It is all contingent on them telling the truth about the numbers, products, and patents.

That is why I was pretty confused when I saw how terrible this product is. They have to know.

Load Metric
    Also just to appear on the show you have to give some small percentage of your company to the producers, I think it's 5%

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Also just to appear on the show you have to give some small percentage of your company to the producers, I think it's 5%
    No idea where u got that from, but I am pretty sure it is complete bullshit.

I am guessing you don't actually watch the show, because if you did you would know a lot of the time there is no "business" really a lot of them are "ideas". Tough to give them 5% of nothing.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: :cosby
    Last edited by NaturalBornHustler; 09-02-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I am guessing you don't actually watch the show, because if you did you would know a lot of the time there is no "business" really a lot of them are "ideas". Tough to give them 5% of nothing.
    Eat your words, NBH. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean you should be sure it doesn't exist.

"The standard appearance contract entitles the show’s producers and ABC to 5 percent of the company or 2 percent of future royalties, regardless of whether a deal materializes with a shark."

www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/business/smallbusiness/tech-start-up-benefits-from-abcs-shark-tank.html

A lot of people go on the show with no intention of making a deal, just to get the publicity of the whole thing. ABC and the producers just made sure nobody gets a free ride, and word is they may be getting rid of this clause next season.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Eat your words, NBH. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean you should be sure it doesn't exist.

"The standard appearance contract entitles the show’s producers and ABC to 5 percent of the company or 2 percent of future royalties, regardless of whether a deal materializes with a shark."

www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/business/smallbusiness/tech-start-up-benefits-from-abcs-shark-tank.html

A lot of people go on the show with no intention of making a deal, just to get the publicity of the whole thing. ABC and the producers just made sure nobody gets a free ride, and word is they may be getting rid of this clause next season.
    Well I stand corrected. That might be the biggest bunch of bullshit I have ever heard. What is that like paying tribute to the commission or something?

What a racket.

I like the "regardless of whether a deal materializes or not". So just by getting on the show they have to pay royalties in perpetuity? Forever? Unreal.

And I will reiterate, a lot of these companies are either heavily in debt or aren't really "companies" yet. So 5% of what exactly?

Load Metric
    It's pretty much common knowledge that any company that appears on the show sees a HUGE boost in sales...at least for awhile.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Everything on TV is for entertainment and often stretches the truth (or is flat out a lie/setup).

Some of you might remember when I had Dave Lerman on PFA Radio, where he described how he made a living appearing on reality/court/news TV shows, basically saying what they wanted to hear. The shows would either script phony things in advance, or they would look the other way while he would falsify things himself (the more common scenario).

Here is a pitcture of the Breathometer:

Basically, the device itself supposedly monitors your BAC after you blow into it, and your phone is only used for processing/display purposes. The only reason your phone is involved is presumably so they don't have to embed a computer/screen into the device, which would make it much more expensive. No way they could sell it for $48. It is inaccurate to believe that your phone is receiving your breath, because it's not. Your phone just communicates what the device found.

Anyway, it appears to be horribly inaccurate. I don't think that the 5-star reviews are from shills. I think most of them are from idiots who believe the device is saving them from DUIs, when in reality they are just trusting bogus results.

Many electronic measuring devices are woefully inaccurate, even in 2014. Have you tried an electronic thermometer? You tend to get different results each time, even if you take your temperature twice consecutively. Electronic scales will often show a different weight as much as 10 pounds apart, even if you step on them twice within a minute. The analog counterparts of both of these devices are very consistent, while the electronic versions seem cool but are inferior. (At least the electronic thermometer doesn't have dangerous mercury, though, which is important when taking a kid's temperature.)

Anyway, yeah, this thing is misleading and nobody should use this to determine their BAC before driving. Can't believe the idiots on Shark Tank fell for this, but it just shows how stupid TV shows like that really are.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am still just stunned about the 5% 2% thing, but I just found this on Forbes (from June 2013)

Though worth it in hindsight, Dumas says that he wasn’t completely comfortable giving up equity or future profits. “Do I think it’s a little greedy for the show? I think so,” he says.

Another source mentioned that Shark Tank won’t be asking for profits or equity from companies appearing on the next season, possibly because of the negative attention such deals might attract. And both Pacque and Dumas say that no one has yet formally asked for the 5% equity or 2% share of profits. Representatives from ABC weren’t immediately available for comment.

Load Metric
    I am still just stunned about the 5% 2% thing, but I just found this on Forbes (from June 2013)

Though worth it in hindsight, Dumas says that he wasn’t completely comfortable giving up equity or future profits. “Do I think it’s a little greedy for the show? I think so,” he says.

Another source mentioned that Shark Tank won’t be asking for profits or equity from companies appearing on the next season, possibly because of the negative attention such deals might attract. And both Pacque and Dumas say that no one has yet formally asked for the 5% equity or 2% share of profits. Representatives from ABC weren’t immediately available for comment.
    you could have found that in my post as well, if you read it to the end.

Thread Information