Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pizza place "incorrect bill" question

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BACKGROUND: This is a very good, but very expensive pizza place. They have a printable coupon on the internet that has been widely available (and well known) for 4 years running, which still leaves it as expensive, but more reasonable. It is a local chain with about 8 stores, and family owned.
    So you've been using coupon nonstop for 4 years..

Eat the one time loss and hope they don't take away the deal in the future.

Every other time you order (except this one time) you get the deal, that's pretty good Druff, really.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Sweet
    Last edited by BHS; 07-29-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: add youtube vid

Load Metric
    PM Charham & get the name of that rat poison & go to the owners place & poison his dog.

or what Headshot said. Both are perfectly reasonable.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    seriously if the food is as good as you say then just let it slide i would guess the difference is like $10 maximum who gives as fuck

but really we are going to need a more in depth breakdown of what you ordered and how much you got over charged

if you ordered 5 pizzas for say $100 and the coupon would have been only $50 then you would have a point of challenging the owner

but lets be honest you prob only ordered one pizza, didn't buy any drinks and then wasted half an hour of your life complaining unsuccessfully about this and then vowed never to return to a place you enjoy going
    Even when it's a small matter of money, nobody likes getting screwed.

If I were in this spot, I'd probably just suck it up and let it slide. And if I enjoyed the pizza that much, I'd continue going. But the first few times I'd feel resentful and shitty about it.

Sometimes boycotting a place can be satisfying, but the owner in this case seems like an idiot that won't learn anything from it and may not even understand or care that his bottom-line is suffering.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    The correct play here is to not submit the order through GrubHub. I have set up pizza places with online ordering and the order comes to them as a fax. Unless you are paying with PayPal, which it allows, there is very little reason to ever order online, especially if you have already called the place and could have placed the order that way. You fucked yourself and deserve no sympathy.
    I use a 3rd party provider for my online ordering...it is 100% integrated into my POS system.....so when a customer orders online their order prints automatically in the kitchen and the register notes if the order has already been paid (all major credit cards) or is still open.

From a customer's standpoint, I would just let it go. As an owner, however, this owner should have handled it better. My system would have allowed us to still adjust the price, but if it didn't I would have done the solution as suggested by "Joe" or offered a free dessert or something.

Load Metric
    The correct play here is to not submit the order through GrubHub. I have set up pizza places with online ordering and the order comes to them as a fax. Unless you are paying with PayPal, which it allows, there is very little reason to ever order online, especially if you have already called the place and could have placed the order that way. You fucked yourself and deserve no sympathy.
    I pretty much use online ordering exclusively with all 3 pizza/sub shop places I go to. All 3 work perfectly, from ordering pizzas with different shit on different halves, to coupons, to storing regular orders, track loyalty points at one of the places, etc. Kinda silly to say that there's no reason to order online when a lot of places do do it right, and it makes everything easier, on both ends, mine and the sub shop's.

not chains, either, btw. One has 4 locations, other 2 are single shop deals.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I pretty much use online ordering exclusively with all 3 pizza/sub shop places I go to. All 3 work perfectly, from ordering pizzas with different shit on different halves, to coupons, to storing regular orders, track loyalty points at one of the places, etc. Kinda silly to say that there's no reason to order online when a lot of places do do it right, and it makes everything easier, on both ends, mine and the sub shop's.

We're not talking about when it goes right. I've ordered many times through 3rd party online and never had a problem. I like that if you want to get your tomato's on the side that you can note that on the order and the people making the order can see it and make it so. In this case it didn't work and I wouldn't hold the pizza shop responsible for a bad software integration. I would, however, stop using that particular way of ordering in the future from that pizza place if that was a problem. The thing that bothers me most is that a phone call was made and the order could have been handled right there on the phone instead of having to troubleshooot the stupid online ordering.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A little more info:

As I said, the place is good but expensive. It is important to understand that the coupons are not typical coupons. These aren't some kind of deal or special. It's just a way to bring a really high price down to a high-but-not-as-bad price, and tons of people use them. So it's important to understand that "Joe" wasn't being the cheapskate coupon guy who was getting a $7 pizza each time and then bitching about not being able to use it once.

A large pizza without the coupon is about $25.

A large pizza WITH the coupon is about $20.

So it's only a matter of $5, but obviously it's the principle of "Joe" being forced to pay more just because the online ordering system was screwed.

Joe was especially offended by this because he offered a very reasonable compromise. He didn't ask for money back or anything free. He didn't ask them to go through a ton of effort to void the purchase. He wanted to let the purchase go through as full price, and then just have the place make it up next time.

So Joe felt that he proposed something especially friendly to the business, and was pissed that they couldn't just say, "Sure, no problem". Joe couldn't understand why the business was insisting upon profiting from the error, when there was such an easy solution to fix everything.

On the flip side, Joe lives in an area with terrible pizza, where Domino's is literally the 2nd-best option (it's that bad). So there's all the shit places, and then there's this really good place, which is more than twice as much as Domino's but worlds better.

Joe was left conflicted, because he didn't want to keep patronizing a business that was going to willingly screw him out of a few dollars just because they could, but at the same time didn't want to go back to eating Domino's.

So Joe decided to run a bluff. He told them that he really enjoys their food, and that he has been coming in for about a year every week. He told them that he would be "a weekly customer for many years to come", but probably wouldn't come back if he felt that they were going to make him pay for their system's error. However, in reality Joe planned to come back either way.

Now I want you guys to guess what happened.

Did they relent and do what Joe was asking, or did they stand firm and tell him he wasn't going to be able to "make it up next time"?

Or did they do something worse, such as tell Joe he was a pain in the ass and not to come back?

Or did they realize how stupid they were being, apologize, and promise to give Joe a free pizza next time instead of just making the discount right?

Post your guesses.

Load Metric
    another one of these threads?

you have to be making this shit up. this either just happens to you or the rest of us are just oblivious to the grand scam that is life.

also they fucked you, so call in air strike and level the place IMO

Comments

4Dragons: thinking like an american rep
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    A little more info:

As I said, the place is good but expensive. It is important to understand that the coupons are not typical coupons. These aren't some kind of deal or special. It's just a way to bring a really high price down to a high-but-not-as-bad price, and tons of people use them. So it's important to understand that "Joe" wasn't being the cheapskate coupon guy who was getting a $7 pizza each time and then bitching about not being able to use it once.

So it's only a matter of $5, but obviously it's the principle of "Joe" being forced to pay more just because the online ordering system was screwed.

Joe was especially offended by this because he offered a very reasonable compromise. He didn't ask for money back or anything free. He didn't ask them to go through a ton of effort to void the purchase. He wanted to let the purchase go through as full price, and then just have the place make it up next time.

So Joe felt that he proposed something especially friendly to the business, and was pissed that they couldn't just say, "Sure, no problem". Joe couldn't understand why the business was insisting upon profiting from the error, when there was such an easy solution to fix everything.

On the flip side, Joe lives in an area with terrible pizza, where Domino's is literally the 2nd-best option (it's that bad). So there's all the shit places, and then there's this really good place, which is more than twice as much as Domino's but worlds better.

Joe was left conflicted, because he didn't want to keep patronizing a business that was going to willingly screw him out of a few dollars just because they could, but at the same time didn't want to go back to eating Domino's.

So Joe decided to run a bluff. He told them that he really enjoys their food, and that he has been coming in for about a year every week. He told them that he would be "a weekly customer for many years to come", but probably wouldn't come back if he felt that they were going to make him pay for their system's error. However, in reality Joe planned to come back either way.

Did they relent and do what Joe was asking, or did they stand firm and tell him he wasn't going to be able to "make it up next time"?

Or did they do something worse, such as tell Joe he was a pain in the ass and not to come back?

Or did they realize how stupid they were being, apologize, and promise to give Joe a free pizza next time instead of just making the discount right?

Post your guesses.
    Pizza that I would actually call a pizza around here costs $20. So it's not that expensive. Deep Dish Chicago Styles at Pizza Papali's will run you $30 for like 3 toppings, so Joe isn't getting any sympathy from me.

Literally with this order going wrong, I would have offered him a family sized anti-pasto salad or a 2 liter of pop or something lesser off the menu right there since they were aware of the goof at the time of purchase.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A little more info:

Post your guesses.
    Pizza that I would actually call a pizza around here costs $20. So it's not that expensive. Deep Dish Chicago Styles at Pizza Papali's will run you $30 for like 3 toppings, so Joe isn't getting any sympathy from me.

Literally with this order going wrong, I would have offered him a family sized anti-pasto salad or a 2 liter of pop or something lesser off the menu right there since they were aware of the goof at the time of purchase.
    Wouldn't have helped. Joe already wasn't going to be finishing the pizza. Extra food would have been useless. Joe just wanted the pizza at the price he was supposed to pay if the system had worked right.

Joe found it offensive that the owner's attitude was, "Our system messed up, and you're going to pay for it, even though we could easily fix what happened." That's no way to treat a customer.

BTW I haven't seen any pizza places charging over $20 for a large around here, except in really touristy/captive audience situations like amusement parks.

Load Metric
    My guess is they made the situation worse & told "Joe" not to come back.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    why is this a thread? yes the owner handled the situation poorly, joe got fucked and it's time to either take your business elsewhere or god forbid pay the extra $5.

Load Metric
    Burn down the restaurant, kill the owners, and dance on their graves.

Or, perhaps just let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Banned
    Load Metric
    plus like if i was sick and lost my voice id probably eat something besides pizza

maybe like soup or something

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

As I said, the place is good but expensive.

It is important to understand that the coupons are not typical coupons. These aren't some kind of deal or special. It's just a way to bring a really high price down to a high-but-not-as-bad price, and tons of people use them.

It's only a matter of $5, but obviously it's the principle
    [b]
    ???????

Plz Explain how this coupon is not a "typical" coupon, deal or special? After all, it gives you a discount on the purchase price so at best it has the same fundamental drivers as a "coupon"? I mean, does it give you a discount or what??

A large pizza without the coupon is about $25. <--- Consistent with gourmet pricing imo..

So you've been enjoying the clear #1 neighborhood spot at 20 bucks a pop (omg highway robbery) for at least a year now..

The owner, likely confused as to exactly what the situation was, probably thought you were trying to roll him (you don't even know if for sure if he got correct information) for a bonus coupon when he already provides one and said gtfo. Dude has been allowing this "non-typical" coupon for 4 years and prob a pretty reasonable guy..

A big boy like yourself should be able to shoulder shrug the 5 bucks and be happy that there is a half decent pizza place anywhere near your 2 bedroom secretly located apartment..

The entitlement factor is beyond me.. this pizza place is not exactly making a fortune off you homie.. just because owner gave you some added free shit when you bluffed doesn't certify this "principle" of yours.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    this is a very discomforting story. the kind that eats away at you.

Comments

lewfather: rofl

Load Metric

Wouldn't have helped. Joe already wasn't going to be finishing the pizza. Extra food would have been useless. Joe just wanted the pizza at the price he was supposed to pay if the system had worked right.

Joe found it offensive that the owner's attitude was, "Our system messed up, and you're going to pay for it, even though we could easily fix what happened." That's no way to treat a customer.

BTW I haven't seen any pizza places charging over $20 for a large around here, except in really touristy/captive audience situations like amusement parks.

Name:  tivoli large square deep dish.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  235.3 KB

This is a $22 Wood Fired Brick Oven Pizza. It has the little pepperoni's that cup up when you cook them. There is no coupon involved but it's better than anything you are getting out of some place with a bright red roof on it. This was from last week.

Comments

mwh72: nice looking pie

ToasterOven: yeah, good pie

Silver
    Load Metric
    Take my freeroll donation and treat yourself to a large pizza and Pepsi.........Then delete this thread.
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post
    Take my freeroll donation and treat yourself to a large pizza and Pepsi.........Then delete this thread.
    Why should Druff eat like a king on your money while poor Joe is shit outta luck?
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric