Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pizza place "incorrect bill" question

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Pizza place "incorrect bill" question

Pretend you frequent a certain pizza place described below, and tell me what the right play is here.

BACKGROUND: This is a very good, but very expensive pizza place. They have a printable coupon on the internet that has been widely available (and well known) for 4 years running, which still leaves it as expensive, but more reasonable. It is a local chain with about 8 stores, and family owned.

They have just introduced an online ordering website where the coupon is also supposed to apply if you enter it.

A customer, we will call him "Joe", tried to use the online ordering site for the first time, and it did not apply the coupon. He didn't submit the order, and instead called up the pizza place and asked if he was doing anything wrong. The guy answering the phone didn't know, and called the owner to ask. The owner said that the coupon would not show a reduction in price at the time of ordering online, but would on the confirmation screen. That information was passed along to Joe, and he hit the Submit button.

Unfortunately, the owner was wrong. There was indeed an issue with the website (it was a third-party site) and it mistakenly charged full price. It would also be very difficult to back out the transaction, because a third party controls the site.

Joe, who liked the pizza place and didn't want to create a stink, just said, "Okay, no problem. How about you just put the equivalent credit for that coupon for my next order, and I'll pay full price for this one? So after I buy my next pizza, it will all break out evenly like it never happened."

Basically, Joe was proposing to use zero coupons this time and get a "double coupon" next time, which would be equivalent to him using one coupon each time as he normally would have done. In fact, this actually helps the business because it guarantees another sale and if for some reason Joe never comes back, he's paid full price up front.

Surprisingly, the guy on the phone had to again check with the owner about this. The owner responded, "Tell him that we will give him that credit for next time, but he can't combine it with any other offer or coupon when he redeems it."

Joe realizes that this will end up screwing him. Because the coupon has always been usable every time, he could have easily used it BOTH this time and last time if the online system worked right (or if he had just ordered over the phone like he always had in the past). So why should he have to pay full price this time and only get the coupon price next time? Why not both times? Why should he pay a higher price because it's their system's fault?

When Joe went to pick it up, he was told that the owner was firm on this.

Joe had been picking up pizzas here nearly every week for the last year and really loved the food. He also never once complained about anything or got anything free/comped.

If you are Joe, what do you do here?

Do you keep going to this place, eat the relatively small loss, and chalk it up to the idiosyncrasies of a family-owned place?

Or do you stick to the principle, play hardball with them, and threaten to take your business elsewhere if they don't make it right?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think you should just let it go unless they refuse to put the tomato sauce on the side. Deal is off in that case, that is unacceptable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Prank radio and call it even.

Comments

1marley1:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Pretend you frequent a certain pizza place described below, and tell me what the right play is here.

BACKGROUND: This is a very good, but very expensive pizza place. They have a printable coupon on the internet that has been widely available (and well known) for 4 years running, which still leaves it as expensive, but more reasonable. It is a local chain with about 8 stores, and family owned.

They have just introduced an online ordering website where the coupon is also supposed to apply if you enter it.

A customer, we will call him "Todd", tried to use the online ordering site for the first time, and it did not apply the coupon. He didn't submit the order, and instead called up the pizza place and asked if he was doing anything wrong. The guy answering the phone didn't know, and called the owner to ask. The owner said that the coupon would not show a reduction in price at the time of ordering online, but would on the confirmation screen. That information was passed along to Joe, and he hit the Submit button.

Unfortunately, the owner was wrong. There was indeed an issue with the website (it was a third-party site) and it mistakenly charged full price. It would also be very difficult to back out the transaction, because a third party controls the site.

Joe, who liked the pizza place and didn't want to create a stink, just said, "Okay, no problem. How about you just put the equivalent credit for that coupon for my next order, and I'll pay full price for this one? So after I buy my next pizza, it will all break out evenly like it never happened."

Basically, Joe was proposing to use zero coupons this time and get a "double coupon" next time, which would be equivalent to him using one coupon each time as he normally would have done. In fact, this actually helps the business because it guarantees another sale and if for some reason Joe never comes back, he's paid full price up front.

Surprisingly, the guy on the phone had to again check with the owner about this. The owner responded, "Tell him that we will give him that credit for next time, but he can't combine it with any other offer or coupon when he redeems it."

Joe realizes that this will end up screwing him. Because the coupon has always been usable every time, he could have easily used it BOTH this time and last time if the online system worked right (or if he had just ordered over the phone like he always had in the past). So why should he have to pay full price this time and only get the coupon price next time? Why not both times? Why should he pay a higher price because it's their system's fault?

Joe had been picking up pizzas here nearly every week for the last year and really loved the food. He also never once complained about anything or got anything free/comped.

Do you keep going to this place, eat the relatively small loss, and chalk it up to the idiosyncrasies of a family-owned place?

Or do you stick to the principle, play hardball with them, and threaten to take your business elsewhere if they don't make it right?
    Sometimes you have to let small things pass and don't stress over small amounts of money

Comments

son of lockman: no amount of $$$ is unimportant
    -Allergic to the struggle

Load Metric
    Your name isn't 'Joe', it's Todd. And you most certainly played hardball.

Banned
    Load Metric
    seems to me it would be way more of a headache than it's worth to go through so much trouble for such a small discount

I mean we are talking about what....2 bucks tops ?

chalk it up to experience and forget about it imo

Load Metric
    20 pages

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even though it's a principle thing sometimes tiny ass amounts of money aren't worth playing the jew card with. I realize you think they will cave but some owners are just assholes and don't care about an individuals future business especially if they are the coupon or never eat there type of customer.

In this owners eyes he might see issuing a coupon as a way to bring in new customers who will hopefully come back paying full price because they fall in love with this upscale pizza willing to pay for the quality of it after being introduced from the coupon offer that got them in the door.

Load Metric
    Honestly, why can't you let these things go? What if they just said we're no longer offering the discount, fuck off? If you like the pizza that much, just count this as a 1 time tax and keep reaping the benefits of the coupon going fwd. Let it go druff

Load Metric
    The correct play here is to not submit the order through GrubHub. I have set up pizza places with online ordering and the order comes to them as a fax. Unless you are paying with PayPal, which it allows, there is very little reason to ever order online, especially if you have already called the place and could have placed the order that way. You fucked yourself and deserve no sympathy.

Load Metric
    Fuck that since its a small business I would let the owner know that he lost a customer for life.

I had something similar but really not so similar happen to me like 15 years ago.

I got 2 ice cream cones at a small local business that I frequented alot. Great burgers there. A few hours later I got a call from the cops. They said I didnt pay according to a lady behind me in line she took my Lic plate down. I didnt realize I didnt pay because the girl who took my order was rude to me, but I didnt say anthing to her the lady behind me in line started yelling at the girl telling her she was rude to me. She apoligized I got my 2 cones and we drove home.

I told the cops I wasnt sure if I paid or not because of the confusion and they told me I had to bring the $2 to the store right now or the owner was pressing charges. At the time i had 3 small kids that were in bed, so I said I'll pay them in the morning my kids are in bed and Im home alone. An hour later the cops come to my house and issue me like $500 ticket for defrauding a restaurant. Long story short I never ate there again, and over the years with a family of 5 it would have probably been in the thousands they lost. To this day Ive never went there and i never will no matter how good the burgers are.

Load Metric
    seriously if the food is as good as you say then just let it slide i would guess the difference is like $10 maximum who gives as fuck

but really we are going to need a more in depth breakdown of what you ordered and how much you got over charged

if you ordered 5 pizzas for say $100 and the coupon would have been only $50 then you would have a point of challenging the owner

but lets be honest you prob only ordered one pizza, didn't buy any drinks and then wasted half an hour of your life complaining unsuccessfully about this and then vowed never to return to a place you enjoy going

Load Metric
    It all depends on how important spit free pizza is to you. Er, I mean Joe.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    In before Fluffer points out that Joe's bigger problem is eating takeaway pizza on a weekly basis.

Comments

Belly Buster: 58 mins
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    I'd like a clarification of just how expensive this place is.

What's your order, and what's the price?

Load Metric
    I went to a neapolitan pizza place last night, split a 12 inch pizza with 2 toppings,and sideorder of meatballs(contained 3) and a glass of wine $48 dollars before tip, it was good but overpriced imo.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Holy shit druff, holy fucking shit

Comments

tyde: lol

jsearles22: :this

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

A customer, we will call him "Joe", tried to use the online ordering site for the first time, and it did not apply the coupon. He didn't submit the order, and instead called up the pizza place and asked if he was doing anything wrong. The guy answering the phone didn't know, and called the owner to ask. The owner said that the coupon would not show a reduction in price at the time of ordering online, but would on the confirmation screen. That information was passed along to Joe, and he hit the Submit button.

Hey joe, do you really you should be eating pizzas ?

*shaking head *

Load Metric
    It's so strange for 'Joe' to constantly find himself in these situations.

I'm not trolling, but I have probably only had such a thing happen to me 2-3 times in my entire life. Perhaps I just run good.

How good is the pizza? That would be the deal breaker for me and imo, good pizza is hard to find.

Live and let live, it's just a coupon.

Load Metric
    Wow sick job just copy pasting this verbatim from the skatz admin forum

Thread Information