Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pizza place "incorrect bill" question

Load Metric
    If you don't have any better options "Joe", then you should let it go before you get the Soup Nazi treatment from the pizzaria.

Otherwise enjoy your Dominoes!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    why not have them correct the 5$ when u pick it up? This should be handled right away

Load Metric
    I sincerely hope benjamin never sees this AIDS thread.

Load Metric

Comments

smithbk: Birlliant

Load Metric
    continue to go there as they have great pizza

When I was 13 I realized religion was BS and that I have one life. One of my fears is lying on my death bed and realizing that I spent X amount of days/hours on things that really were a waste of time. For example, going over the same thing over and over again with an idiot that doesn't get, calling the hotel because i never ate those 6 dollar gummy fish on the bill , or the company charged me for shipping when they shouldn't have. The list of dumb shit that can consume your time is endless.

My general rule is that discrepancies under 50 dollars I either let slide or I may send an email. If the error is over 50 dollars then I might pick up the phone if the time to resolve the issue is less than 10 mins. Anything over 100 I will make a call and generally do what it takes to solve it even if in the end I lose money. Discrepancies of 500 or more get wraith of god treatment. I am all about principle but in my opinion you have to balance it with the time it takes to solve the problem and how much your time is worth. I have found 95 percent of these time wasters are in the under 50 dollar category. Not only are 95 percent of them under 50, most are in the 1-20 dollar range which makes them even more time wasters.

I actually had a situation the other day where I picked up the phone. I got a bill from the Cosmo in Las vegas for 50 dollars after my 4 days stay for an item purchased. I get food , drink and room comped but this item wasn't included because it wasn't food or drink (pretty fucking dumb but whatever) . It turns out they charged me around 50 bucks for binoculars. I knew these were never used so I gave them a call. Took 5 mins to resolve and I was doing something else while on the call.

Comments

mwh72: words to live by rep

nunbeater: wise words being croaded
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    I'd like a CONSUMER FRAUD ALERT hat when available thanks in advance druff.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

When I was 13 I realized religion was BS and that I have one life. One of my fears is lying on my death bed and realizing that I spent X amount of days/hours on things that really were a waste of time. For example, going over the same thing over and over again with an idiot that doesn't get, calling the hotel because i never ate those 6 dollar gummy fish on the bill , or the company charged me for shipping when they shouldn't have. The list of dumb shit that can consume your time is endless.

My general rule is that discrepancies under 50 dollars I either let slide or I may send an email. If the error is over 50 dollars then I might pick up the phone if the time to resolve the issue is less than 10 mins. Anything over 100 I will make a call and generally do what it takes to solve it even if in the end I lose money. Discrepancies of 500 or more get wraith of god treatment. I am all about principle but in my opinion you have to balance it with the time it takes to solve the problem and how much your time is worth. I have found 95 percent of these time wasters are in the under 50 dollar category. Not only are 95 percent of them under 50, most are in the 1-20 dollar range which makes them even more time wasters.

I actually had a situation the other day where I picked up the phone. I got a bill from the Cosmo in Las vegas for 50 dollars after my 4 days stay for an item purchased. I get food , drink and room comped but this item wasn't included because it wasn't food or drink (pretty fucking dumb but whatever) . It turns out they charged me around 50 bucks for binoculars. I knew these were never used so I gave them a call. Took 5 mins to resolve and I was doing something else while on the call.
    I hope it wasnt a well hung Catholic priest that helped you realize it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post

Who the fuck jumps straight to that? Projecting much?

Comments

nunbeater: even if you hate this guy, he is right
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

*giggling*
    Load Metric

Giggling at cmoney trolling druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    Hi Joe

ITT Joe gets his shit pushed in.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffer View Post

Giggling at cmoney trolling druff
    Are you trolling by saying this? Cmoney's opinion is not trolling at all, it is the gospel according to Jesus H Cmoney.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post

Who the fuck jumps straight to that? Projecting much?
    Too soon?

Comments

4Dragons: rofl

Load Metric

then what are you doing here

Comments

adamantium: zing

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so let's cut through some of the BS and get to the point.

First, the owner handled this horribly. When it all comes down to it, the owner wanted Joe to pay for their website's mistake, even when there was an easy and painless fix to the situation. So that's a pretty big slap in the face to a loyal customer, and to be honest is pretty awful. As Chinamaniac said, the correct solution was actually to open the cash register and fix the pricing error right there, but Joe actually offered better than that, saying he'd just take credit for his next order.

This is worse than a cold, large corporation being unable to fix a billing mistake, because here the owner was involved and could have snap-authorized a $5 credit next time, and been done with it.

However, as Jayjami pointed out, this bears some similarity to the Soup Nazi.

The "Seinfeld" gang put up with the obnoxious, petty, and controlling Soup Nazi because they loved his soup, so they suffered comical indignities in order to be able to eat there.

If this were an average pizza place, Joe would have had no problem walking out and never coming back, after this debacle.

But this isn't an average pizza place, and Joe would actually be depriving himself of good pizza if he were to boycott the place over this insulting but otherwise minor incident.

So that's what it came down to: Pride or Pizza?

Joe chose pizza, but he didn't want them to know that.

When Joe went to pick it up, the acting manager (a guy who looked about 20) didn't fully understand what had happened, and at first honestly thought that Joe was just trying to angle to be able to get a double-discount. When Joe finally got it across to him that he was simply proposing a fix that would break it even for both sides, the guy understood, but was still arguing against it because at this point he thought Joe was a dick for arguing over such a small amount of money. (I hate that attitude, because the same can be said on the reverse side -- why are THEY fighting over such a small amount of money?)

Joe reiterated that he had been there every week for about a year, without any past incident or complaints. The acting manager didn't recognize him, because this was a Saturday, and Joe had always gone during the week in the past. He asked, "What is your phone number again?", and Joe gave it to him. He looked it up in the computer and saw, indeed, Joe had been there every week for about a year, without any sort of complaint or issue.

"So you're really not going to come back if we don't allow this? Over $5?", asked the acting manager.

"Not over $5. I only like spending my money at places that treat me fairly, and charging me for your system's mistake isn't treating me fairly. So I really would just like to see this fixed and forget this whole thing happened."

The manager paused for a second, opened the cash register, and handed Joe $5.

"Thanks," said Joe. He took the pizza and walked out, wondering if he should post this on an internet forum and inevitably get flamed for it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, this is one of two reasons I hate online ordering.

Reason #1 is that you pay before receiving your food, which is a disaster. A large percentage of businesses, restaurants or otherwise, absolutely HATE giving back money once you've already paid. It's really weird. If you haven't paid yet, they see the money as "yours" and feel obligated to adjust the bill when the customer is unhappy. If you have paid, even if just a few minutes ago, the money is suddenly "theirs" and they absolutely hate parting with it. So if anything goes wrong, you are often fucked when it comes to getting any kind of bill adjustment, even at places which are otherwise reasonable. This is actually why Joe proposed simply making it right next time, rather than give him a refund immediately.

Reason #2 is that online orders are often skimmed and details are not read very clearly by the kitchen. So if you have any uncommon requests, there is a high percentage chance they will be ignored.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting one to post about because it wasn't of the usual "they screwed up and/or inconvenienced me, so what should they comp in return" variety. It was of the "The bill is wrong, and what should the customer do about it if the place refuses to correct it?" variety, which is actually a lot worse.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The problem now is when the acting manager sees Joe's number pop up on the screen he will personally volunteer to make Joe's pizza and who knows what special ingredient could be put in the pizza. There is always a risk in complaining about food/service in a fast food type of place. Risks definitely outweigh the rewards.
    Last edited by Damone; 07-30-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Okay, so let's cut through some of the BS and get to the point.

First, the owner handled this horribly. When it all comes down to it, the owner wanted Joe to pay for their website's mistake, even when there was an easy and painless fix to the situation. So that's a pretty big slap in the face to a loyal customer, and to be honest is pretty awful. As Chinamaniac said, the correct solution was actually to open the cash register and fix the pricing error right there, but Joe actually offered better than that, saying he'd just take credit for his next order.

This is worse than a cold, large corporation being unable to fix a billing mistake, because here the owner was involved and could have snap-authorized a $5 credit next time, and been done with it.

However, as Jayjami pointed out, this bears some similarity to the Soup Nazi.

The "Seinfeld" gang put up with the obnoxious, petty, and controlling Soup Nazi because they loved his soup, so they suffered comical indignities in order to be able to eat there.

If this were an average pizza place, Joe would have had no problem walking out and never coming back, after this debacle.

But this isn't an average pizza place, and Joe would actually be depriving himself of good pizza if he were to boycott the place over this insulting but otherwise minor incident.

So that's what it came down to: Pride or Pizza?

Joe chose pizza, but he didn't want them to know that.

When Joe went to pick it up, the acting manager (a guy who looked about 20) didn't fully understand what had happened, and at first honestly thought that Joe was just trying to angle to be able to get a double-discount. When Joe finally got it across to him that he was simply proposing a fix that would break it even for both sides, the guy understood, but was still arguing against it because at this point he thought Joe was a dick for arguing over such a small amount of money. (I hate that attitude, because the same can be said on the reverse side -- why are THEY fighting over such a small amount of money?)

Joe reiterated that he had been there every week for about a year, without any past incident or complaints. The acting manager didn't recognize him, because this was a Saturday, and Joe had always gone during the week in the past. He asked, "What is your phone number again?", and Joe gave it to him. He looked it up in the computer and saw, indeed, Joe had been there every week for about a year, without any sort of complaint or issue.

"So you're really not going to come back if we don't allow this? Over $5?", asked the acting manager.

"Not over $5. I only like spending my money at places that treat me fairly, and charging me for your system's mistake isn't treating me fairly. So I really would just like to see this fixed and forget this whole thing happened."

"Thanks," said Joe. He took the pizza and walked out, wondering if he should post this on an internet forum and inevitably get flamed for it.
    If he reached in and gave me the $5 I would feel like I lost. Its was almost like a slap in the face. Shit the only thing worse was to reach into his own pocket and pay it. I know Joe won but you should ask him if it kinda felt like a loss?

Gold
    Load Metric
    My head is going to explode

Banned
    Load Metric
    honestly not trolling Todd

but if you look at this from a 'time invested' percentage basis

you just wasted a lot of time (the most valuable commodity I know of) disputing a $2.00 or $3.00 discount...not to mention the time invested posting the OP and your follow up responses

seems slightly -EV imo

in more ways than one

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Thread Information