Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Young, Hot, Female, PeterDC (Sarah Phillips scamming story)

Load Metric

A Young, Hot, Female, PeterDC (Sarah Phillips scamming story)

http://deadspin.com/5906658?utm_camp...ium=socialflow

Is An ESPN Columnist Scamming People On The Internet?

worth the read, very crazy shit

girl goes to Oregon State, maybe Beebs has heard of her or her accomplice

video of Sarah before it gets taken down (she has already deleted her twitter)

Last edited by WillieMcFML; 05-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Load Metric
    I read this earlier, it is pretty amazing what people can pull off these days. I really feel bad for the kid who made the facebook nba memes page, she had every angle covered to fuck that kid without actually fucking him

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Great story, and I suggest everyone read it (and click on the links of evidence that the article provides).

I was pretty shocked to find that Sarah Phillips was a real person. That came at the end of the article, and up until that point, all of the evidence seemed to strongly point to "Sarah" actually being a dude named Nilesh Prasad (with help from his brother Navin Prasad).

However, she posted this video:

... and the article points to a connection between Sarah Phillips and Nilesh Prasad, so it appears Sarah isn't just made up. The girl in the video is probably her.

HOWEVER...

I am pretty sure that this was similar to the Girah/Dogishead situation on 2+2.

Dogishead was a very good poker player, but was generally uncharismatic and blended in with all of the other young poker nerds. For reasons unknown (perhaps to set up a long con), he created the character of "Girah" -- a supposed poker prodigy that quickly rises through the ranks and becomes a huge deal in online poker.

Dogishead likely did a lot of the high limit play from the Girah account and wrote some of Girah's 2+2 posts. He also dumped money to him to win that Lock contest. Basically, Girah appears to be a real guy named Jose Macedo, but he was a puppet, carefully controlled by the guy (Dogishead) who created his image.

I think that's what happened here. Nilesh Prasad was probably a good sportsbettor and was an avid poster on covers.com. At some point, for whatever reason, he came up with the idea to masquerade as his female friend (or girlfriend) Sarah Phillips, figuring his postings would get a lot more attention that way. After all, what is more intriguing -- an Indian dude named Nilesh making good and informed sports picks, or a smoking hot chick named Sarah doing it?

He had Sarah on hand to make "female" appearances whenever necessary, which is probably how she got the job at ESPN.

Nilesh probably kept the bulk of the money made, and gave some of the proceeds to Navin and Sarah.

The Youtube I posted seems very rehearsed, and you can tell that it was scripted for her. Sarah doesn't seem to be expressing her true thoughts.

Not sure why they used so many different pictures of her. Perhaps the real Sarah felt uncomfortable with attaching her real picture to the scam, so she asked Nilesh to post pics of some other hot chick in her place. It's also possible that Nilesh wanted pictures of a girl even hotter than Sarah, so as to attract even more attention.

The threats in this chat seem very much like they're coming from a guy.

Name:  pt._3.png
Views: 1040
Size:  41.0 KB

Surprising that ESPN took this long to dismiss her. I guess everyone was too afraid to complain and blow their great "chance" at working for ESPN.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, pretty sure that the "Leilani Elmore" Facebook account, used to contact the kid with the NBA Memes, was a complete phony account and had 1000 friends simply because it had a picture of a hot chick.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess it's also possible that Navin doesn't exist, and is just an invention by this Nilesh character.

Read this chat and you'll see how cruel this "Navin" is to this poor kid:

http://deadspin.com/5906534

I really hope this scumbag gets what's coming to him.

Load Metric
    the girl lives in Corvallis

someone needs to get Beebs92 on this

maybe she sold her a dildo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Great story, and I suggest everyone read it (and click on the links of evidence that the article provides).

I was pretty shocked to find that Sarah Phillips was a real person. That came at the end of the article, and up until that point, all of the evidence seemed to strongly point to "Sarah" actually being a dude named Nilesh Prasad (with help from his brother Navin Prasad).

However, she posted this video:

... and the article points to a connection between Sarah Phillips and Nilesh Prasad, so it appears Sarah isn't just made up. The girl in the video is probably her.

HOWEVER...

I am pretty sure that this was similar to the Girah/Dogishead situation on 2+2.

Dogishead was a very good poker player, but was generally uncharismatic and blended in with all of the other young poker nerds. For reasons unknown (perhaps to set up a long con), he created the character of "Girah" -- a supposed poker prodigy that quickly rises through the ranks and becomes a huge deal in online poker.

Dogishead likely did a lot of the high limit play from the Girah account and wrote some of Girah's 2+2 posts. He also dumped money to him to win that Lock contest. Basically, Girah appears to be a real guy named Jose Macedo, but he was a puppet, carefully controlled by the guy (Dogishead) who created his image.

I think that's what happened here. Nilesh Prasad was probably a good sportsbettor and was an avid poster on covers.com. At some point, for whatever reason, he came up with the idea to masquerade as his female friend (or girlfriend) Sarah Phillips, figuring his postings would get a lot more attention that way. After all, what is more intriguing -- an Indian dude named Nilesh making good and informed sports picks, or a smoking hot chick named Sarah doing it?

He had Sarah on hand to make "female" appearances whenever necessary, which is probably how she got the job at ESPN.

Nilesh probably kept the bulk of the money made, and gave some of the proceeds to Navin and Sarah.

The Youtube I posted seems very rehearsed, and you can tell that it was scripted for her. Sarah doesn't seem to be expressing her true thoughts.

Not sure why they used so many different pictures of her. Perhaps the real Sarah felt uncomfortable with attaching her real picture to the scam, so she asked Nilesh to post pics of some other hot chick in her place. It's also possible that Nilesh wanted pictures of a girl even hotter than Sarah, so as to attract even more attention.

The threats in this chat seem very much like they're coming from a guy.

Name:  pt._3.png
Views: 1040
Size:  41.0 KB

Surprising that ESPN took this long to dismiss her. I guess everyone was too afraid to complain and blow their great "chance" at working for ESPN.
    I have to disagree with your assesment of the Girah/DogisHead account... I would wager that it was Dan Cates doing most of the high-stakes playing. I still have no idea how Cates skated on this whole thing while DiH is in Tibet on poker exile or some shit.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, it might have been Dan Cates, too. I agree that he seems to have guilt in the situation, as well.

My point was that Girah was a real person, but his online persona was a puppet.

Seems like we have a similar situation here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is also similar to the "Amina Abdallah" situation, where a dude pretended to be an outspoken lesbian living in Syria, complete with a kidnapping story. CNN covered the "kidnapping" without ever stopping to verify if Amina was real.

Here was my post about it last year:

=============================================

Some of you might have heard about the "kidnapping" of the lesbian blogger Amina Abdallah.

Abdallah is supposedly a 35-year-old lesbian, living in Syria. She expressed vocal opposition to the government there in her blog, and supposedly was constantly dodging kidnapping attempts. Gay rights are nonexistent in Syria, and being both gay and in opposition to the government is very unsafe there.

I didn't follow any of this until recently when her kidnapping was widely reported. I had not seen a picture of her yet, and I was expecting her to look like a middle-eastern version of Vanessa Selbst.

Instead, I found this surprisingly pretty, feminine, and soft-looking woman:

Right then I suspected something fishy. This seemed too good to be true. The woman was smart, feisty, beautiful, and brave enough to stand up to the Syrian government. And she was a lesbian. And she was kidnapped. It all seemed too perfectly out of a script for a Sundance film.

I didn't question it much, though, because I figured that large news organizations like CNN wouldn't be doing stories on kidnapped bloggers that nobody verified really existed.

But guess what?

Amina Abdallah didn't exist.

In reality, the picture is of Jelena Lecic, a London woman who has nothing to do with Syria.

Now a person named "Tom McMaster" is taking credit for all of the blogs.

Amazing what the media will eat up these days.

Especially LOL are Amina's "friends" who still swear she's real, but admit that the extent of their correspondence was via e-mail.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I tried reading it but it was horribly written.
    Contrast that with Yebsite's post where the read was great
    I like to know where I'm going if the article is a mile long.
    Cliff notes mandatory in this case.
    Also, did Druff hijack this thread like a 9/11 terrorist?

Load Metric
    Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

The art of pretending to be a girl to scam someone over the internet is as old as the internet itself. Outside of the few examples already mentioned there was that "chick" who became a PS pro under very questionable circumstances, and there was someone on pocket 5's who scammed a bunch of people by pretending to be a girl. It's also a favorite tactic of the Nigerian scammers to pretend to be a girl to scam some old nimrod into giving their life savings because they think the girl is really into them. Of course there actually was a girl here, but in all likelihood none of the sports betting advice, posts, or columns were actually written by her. This appears to be the same scam except he was actually able to produce a live person as the "hot chick". I actually thought the reason the pictures were different was because it started off as a phantom but then he found a chick to actually fill the role. My theory may be off though since they discovered that there was a Sarah Phillips that exists, which is the name he used from the beginning.

The fraud alert bells should always ring when the person in question is constantly pushing the fact that they are a girl, usually in an over the top fashion. You'll notice that w.hile there are hot girls that actually play poker etc. they don't come to the forefront in the fashion these other fake girls do. They are usually seen live first.

Odd thing about this is it seems that they only gained maybe a few thousand? from some ESPN articles so it seems like quite a lot of work for little gain. Although, I guess if they would have pulled off this NBA meme thing it could have led to more.

Sad thing is these scumbags usually never face any legal recourse and it turns out they were just freerolling.

Load Metric
    Update:

http://deadspin.com/5906849/sarah-ph...h-who-to-trust

Thing that makes no sense is she says that she concealed her identity so employers wouldn't see her as a "gambler" ? Wasn't she the one always throwing her name around? Basically she was doing the exact opposite of concealing her identity. If she wanted to hide who she was she could just easily used a different name or pretended she was a guy. The only time she used guys names were in private convos. In all likelihood it was those guys names that were behind everything and they knew they would have to use their real names for paypal and other business purposes.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    UPDATE #2: @NotBillWalton has dropped another bombshell, with screencaps showing Twitter DMs where Phillips claims she acquired the @OhWonka account some days ago (hence all the Phillips-centric RTs that account has been producing).

After that, @OhWonka DMs him to show it's Phillips.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBet View Post
    Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

The art of pretending to be a girl to scam someone over the internet is as old as the internet itself. Outside of the few examples already mentioned there was that "chick" who became a PS pro under very questionable circumstances, and there was someone on pocket 5's who scammed a bunch of people by pretending to be a girl. It's also a favorite tactic of the Nigerian scammers to pretend to be a girl to scam some old nimrod into giving their life savings because they think the girl is really into them. Of course there actually was a girl here, but in all likelihood none of the sports betting advice, posts, or columns were actually written by her. This appears to be the same scam except he was actually able to produce a live person as the "hot chick". I actually thought the reason the pictures were different was because it started off as a phantom but then he found a chick to actually fill the role. My theory may be off though since they discovered that there was a Sarah Phillips that exists, which is the name he used from the beginning.

The fraud alert bells should always ring when the person in question is constantly pushing the fact that they are a girl, usually in an over the top fashion. You'll notice that w.hile there are hot girls that actually play poker etc. they don't come to the forefront in the fashion these other fake girls do. They are usually seen live first.

Odd thing about this is it seems that they only gained maybe a few thousand? from some ESPN articles so it seems like quite a lot of work for little gain. Although, I guess if they would have pulled off this NBA meme thing it could have led to more.

Sad thing is these scumbags usually never face any legal recourse and it turns out they were just freerolling.
    Peachymer came to my mind as well and might be a better analogy unless Girah and Daniel Cates were gay lovers or something

also it seems Sarah Phillips is desperate to get her life back after being used by Nilesh
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    UPDATE #2: @NotBillWalton has dropped another bombshell, with screencaps showing Twitter DMs where Phillips claims she acquired the @OhWonka account some days ago (hence all the Phillips-centric RTs that account has been producing).

After that, @OhWonka DMs him to show it's Phillips.
    this is crazy, who knew lulz twitter accounts could be monetized, bought and sold

i feel so left behind

Load Metric
    done gone viral, it's now #1 on yahoo.com "Trending Now"

http://search.yahoo.com/search?cs=bz...s-701-1&fr2=ps
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Reading about con men offers great insight into human psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Lustig

This guy was discussed heavily in Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power, a nice read foranybody looking to get a little bit smarter.

I watched a documentary on Bernie Madoff flying back from Nepal (Chasing Madoff I think); it's amazing what people can get any with using simple deception.

LoL at the concept of trust, in the end everyone is looking out for themselves.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Reading about con men offers great insight into human psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Lustig

This guy was discussed heavily in Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power, a nice read foranybody looking to get a little bit smarter.

I watched a documentary on Bernie Madoff flying back from Nepal (Chasing Madoff I think); it's amazing what people can get any with using simple deception.

LoL at the concept of trust, in the end everyone is looking out for themselves.
    Name:  huh3.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  9.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's my guess as to what will come out in the coming days/weeks:

- Almost everything was done by Nilesh Prasad. Navin Prasad either doesn't exist, or had his identity used by Nilesh without his knowledge.

- The real Sarah Phillips was used by Nilesh, and was kept in the dark about all of the scamming. She thought that she was just the "face" of the sportsbetting column, but had not idea about the shady and criminal stuff Nilesh was doing behind the scenes while posing as her. She will finally come out and deeply apologize for everything.

-The string of Twitter messages from "Sarah" last night were again written by Nilesh.

- Nilesh was obsessed with social media and somehow working a popular social media account (whether a webpage or a Twitter) into a partnership with ESPN, with which he was also obsessed. He initially invented this Sarah Phillips column in order to create his own social media phenomenon, and was thrilled to get a guest column on ESPN. However, this wasn't enough for him, as he dreamed about bigger and more lucrative partnerships with the company.

- Nilesh soon came up with the idea to use the well-liked and ESPN-legitimized "Sarah" account to scam unsuspecting people with valuable social media accounts into handing over control to him. Once he had control, he would use the accounts' existing traffic to direct them to his own projects. He was hoping that, in turn, he would generate enough traffic to his own failsites to appeal to ESPN.

- Nilesh has a bad sportsbetting habit and is an overall loser betting sports. When he would have bad nights, he would get agitated and aggressive, and find whomever he could (i.e. his marks from the social media world) to "pay him back" for his losses. He would use threats of monster lawsuits (such as suing for $2.1 million in "lost advertising") and occasionally threats of violence to get this done.

- Nilesh will turn out to be a short, weasely looking Indian kid.

- Nilesh will ultimately blame his sportsbetting habit on his vile and criminal behavior, claiming that it was the addcition that made him act this way.

Book it.

BTW, LOL @ two kids going down to a Sarah Phillips' house, trying to get her to come out, and videotaping it.

I think the energy would be better directed at tracking down Nilesh Prasad and videotaping the resulting confrontation.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Here's my guess as to what will come out in the coming days/weeks:

- Almost everything was done by Nilesh Prasad. Navin Prasad either doesn't exist, or had his identity used by Nilesh without his knowledge.

- The real Sarah Phillips was used by Nilesh, and was kept in the dark about all of the scamming. She thought that she was just the "face" of the sportsbetting column, but had not idea about the shady and criminal stuff Nilesh was doing behind the scenes while posing as her. She will finally come out and deeply apologize for everything.

-The string of Twitter messages from "Sarah" last night were again written by Nilesh.

- Nilesh was obsessed with social media and somehow working a popular social media account (whether a webpage or a Twitter) into a partnership with ESPN, with which he was also obsessed. He initially invented this Sarah Phillips column in order to create his own social media phenomenon, and was thrilled to get a guest column on ESPN. However, this wasn't enough for him, as he dreamed about bigger and more lucrative partnerships with the company.

- Nilesh soon came up with the idea to use the well-liked and ESPN-legitimized "Sarah" account to scam unsuspecting people with valuable social media accounts into handing over control to him. Once he had control, he would use the accounts' existing traffic to direct them to his own projects. He was hoping that, in turn, he would generate enough traffic to his own failsites to appeal to ESPN.

- Nilesh has a bad sportsbetting habit and is an overall loser betting sports. When he would have bad nights, he would get agitated and aggressive, and find whomever he could (i.e. his marks from the social media world) to "pay him back" for his losses. He would use threats of monster lawsuits (such as suing for $2.1 million in "lost advertising") and occasionally threats of violence to get this done.

- Nilesh will turn out to be a short, weasely looking Indian kid.

- Nilesh will ultimately blame his sportsbetting habit on his vile and criminal behavior, claiming that it was the addcition that made him act this way.

Book it.

BTW, LOL @ two kids going down to a Sarah Phillips' house, trying to get her to come out, and videotaping it.

I think the energy would be better directed at tracking down Nilesh Prasad and videotaping the resulting confrontation.
    No way was this girl kept in the dark.

Thread Information