Thread: Harold Ramis DD

Load Metric

Harold Ramis DD

http://www.people.com/people/article...s-topheadlines

Filmmaker Harold Ramis, who exerted a strong creative hand in such popular comedies as National Lampoon's Animal House, the Ghostbusters series and Groundhog's Day, has died in Chicago of a rare autoimmune disease, PEOPLE has confirmed.

His wife, Eric Mann Ramis, told Chicago Tribune he was surrounded by family when he died at 12:53 a.m. Monday.

An actor, writer, director, producer and a gentleman – whose dry wit, long face and eyeglasses often had him compared to the legendary 1930s playwright George S. Kaufman, a compliment Ramis enjoyed – Ramis was born in Chicago and grew up idolizing the Marx Brothers, Sid Caesar and Ernie Kovacs.

After graduating from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri in 1967, he became the jokes editor for Playboy magazine.

Two years later he joined the improvisational comedy troupe Second City, which at the time featured such young talents as John Belushi and Bill Murray. In the mid-1970s, he wrote and acted on SCTV with John Candy and Eugene Levy.

"The moment I knew I wouldn't be any huge comedy star was when I got on stage with John Belushi for the first time," he told the Tribune in 1999. "When I saw how far he was willing to go to get a laugh or to make a point on stage, the language he would use, how physical he was, throwing himself literally off the stage, taking big falls, strangling other actors, I thought: I'm never going to be this big."

But he proved he could write, and, later, direct. Ramis's first hit screenplay was Animal House, then he directed Murray in Caddyshack. From that point on he could basically write his own ticket.

In Ghostbusters, he played Dr. Egon Spengler, the intellectual. More recently, he played the father of the Seth Rogen character in 2007's Knocked Up.

Erica Mann Ramis, his wife since 1989, survives him, along with their two sons, Julian and Daniel, and a daughter from his first marriage (to Anne Plotkin), Violet Ramis.

Comments

bukowski72: How did they leave out Stripes? He co-wrote Stripes and Ghostbusters
    Last edited by vegas1369; 02-24-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Load Metric
    How will this effect the filming of Ghostbusters 3?

did they start filming?

Comments

Corrigan: fuck off

Load Metric
    Oh this fucking sucks.

Load Metric
    Hollywood legend Harold Ramis -- famous for his films "Caddyshack," "Ghostbusters," "Groundhog Day," and "Animal House" -- has died.

According to his family, the writer-director passed away early this morning at his Chicago home from complications stemming from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a rare disease involving the swelling of blood vessels. He was surrounded by his family.

Ramis was 69. He is survived by his wife Erica, his sons Julian and Daniel, his daughter Violet, and two grandchildren.

Ramis began suffering from health issues related to his autoimmune disease in 2010.

In addition to "Caddyshack" and others, the comedy legend directed "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Analyze This" and several other films. He also wrote sequels to his films, like "Ghostbusters 2" and "Caddyshack 2."

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Pretty sure Ghostbusters 3 was going to be mainly Dan Akaroyd "passing the torch" to a new generation of characters who take over as Ghostbusters, so Ramis and possibly Bill Murray would have been cameos only.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Oh this fucking sucks.
    This, normally I don't give a fuck about celebrity deaths but this one hurts. noooooooooooooo

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    Pretty sure Ghostbusters 3 was going to be mainly Dan Akaroyd "passing the torch" to a new generation of characters who take over as Ghostbusters, so Ramis and possibly Bill Murray would have been cameos only.

Well now they can do his cameo as a cgi ghost.

Comments

JimmyG_415: Moron rep

Load Metric
    I think that most of us on this forum are in our late 30's to mid to late 40's. Many of the great actors and celebs that we grew up with are starting to die. This hurts because I loved all the movies he directed, acted, and wrote. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Tim Matheson, Chevy Chase and others are getting older and I hate to see them go.

Comments

ThreeBet: sftrue

Corrigan: really amazing how much funny stuff from when I was younger Ramis was involved in

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyrick View Post
    I think that most of us on this forum are in our late 30's to mid to late 40's. Many of the great actors and celebs that we grew up with are starting to die. This hurts because I loved all the movies he directed, acted, and wrote. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Tim Matheson, Chevy Chase and others are getting older and I hate to see them go.

RIP

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyrick View Post

We remember when SNL was the GOAT.

Comments

Indyrick: The deli is the best

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post

Well now they can do his cameo as a cgi ghost.

Comments

Indyrick: to soon

Hockey Guy: No it's not.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    How will this effect the filming of Ghostbusters 3?

did they start filming?
    Update to story originally published Feb. 24: According to The Hollywood Reporter, the "Ghostbusters III" script will be reworked following the death of Ramis.

First off, let's pause a moment out of respect for Harold Ramis, who died Monday at the age of 69. The director ("Groundhog Day"), writer ("Animal House") and actor ("Stripes") was a "brilliant, gifted, funny friend, co-writer/performer and teacher," and Dan Aykroyd, who posted that tribute on Facebook, would know.

Ramis and Aykroyd both came up on the stages of the Second City improv troupe, worked on seminal TV comedy shows in the 1970s — Ramis on "SCTV," and Aykroyd on "Saturday Night Live" — and went onto big-screen success. Together, they wrote and costarred in "Ghostbusters," the blockbuster 1984 special-effects comedy that may still be the only funny special-effects comedy ever made, outside of "Ghostbusters II."

Speculation about a second sequel, a "Ghostbusters 3," has been around about as long as "Ghostbusters II," and that'll be going on 25 years this summer.

In 1996, Aykroyd was quoted as saying he'd completed a draft for "Ghostbusters 3," and that Sony, which had gobbled up Columbia Pictures, the franchise's original studio, "definitely wants to make it."

At the time, Aykroyd said he'd been discussing the project with Ramis, but noted that Ivan Reitman, who directed the two "Ghostbusters" movies, and Bill Murray, who was chief Ghostbuster Dr. Peter Venkman, were out.

"I can definitely see Chris Farley stepping into the cast — he'd make a great ghostbuster," Aykroyd said, "and so would Will Smith." Farley died in 1997, and that version of "Ghostbusters 3" never materialized.

A decade later, in 2008, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, co-executive producers of "The Office," who'd collaborated with Ramis on the script for the filmmaker's comedy "Year One," were tapped to work on a "Ghostbusters" "reunion film," Variety reported. "While original castmembers Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson could return, it’s believed that the film will pass the torch to a new group of ghost chasers," the Hollywood trade reported.

Along those lines, Sigourney Weaver, who played Venkman's sometimes-possessed love interest in "Ghosbusters" and "Ghostbusters II," said in a 2009 UK TV interview that she "might" be in the new movie, "although I don't think I will have a big part in it."

"I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it — he might be a ghost,” Weaver said.

The same year, Ramis said to "Access Hollywood" that the trick of the sequel was balancing the old with the new. In another interview around the same time, he said that when Eisenberg's and Stupnitsky's first draft was ready: "Everybody will take a deep breath, and read it and see if we want to proceed."

"If [the public] only had two 'Ghostbusters,' we'd all be fine," Ramis said. "... [F]or us, it's always going to be about character."

In 2010, Ramis fell seriously ill. According to his obituary in the Chicago Tribune, an infection related to the rare autoimmune disease that would claim his life left him unable to walk. He would recover, but relapse in 2011, the newspaper reported.

Ramis' health struggles were not widely known, but looking back now they coincide with reduced chatter on the "Ghostbusters 3" front.

In 2012, Weaver told MTV News she'd yet to see a script. Commenting on a rumor that Murray had seen one, and shredded it, the actress said, "It's Bill, so it could very well be true."

In the wake of Ramis' death, the last word on "Ghostbusters 3" might have already come from Aykroyd, who in 1996 said, "I wouldn't want to make it without Harold."

But while you mourn Ramis, you don't necessarily need to mourn the "Ghostbusters" franchise.

In 2009, the original "Ghostbuters" players, from Murray on down to Ernie Hudson, reunited for a video game, titled "Ghostbusters," that was scripted in part by Aykroyd and Ramis.

"It's really the third movie," Ayrkoyd said. "If you want to see 'Ghostbusters 3,' it's the game. It's really, really good."
    https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...000958503.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    "I can definitely see Chris Farley stepping into the cast — he'd make a great ghostbuster," Aykroyd said, "and so would Will Smith." Farley died in 1997, and that version of "Ghostbusters 3" never materialized.
    Chris Farley was a huge Belushi fan (but so is everyone) and much has been made of the similarities in their lives and deaths. But that's really weird. John Belushi was cast in the first Ghostbusters, but died before they could shoot it. After Belushi died the two other actors in consideration, John Candy and Eddie Murphy, got replaced.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Upon his death, this photo was circulating with claims that the ghostbusters sign was raised as a tribute to Ramis. Truthfully this is actually a dated photo and not recent; if I speed read a story correctly it was used in one of the GBusters movies many years ago. Either way, kinda cool.

FDNY Ladder 8

Name:  fdnyghost.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  84.8 KB

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    When I was a kid I got a ghostbuster gun that projected an image of a ghost on the wall that you shot. My brother had the foot pedal ghost trap. We used to stay up for hours trying to stop grandpa from raping us with those things

Comments

Corrigan: zap

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Heard the news on CNN. Good actor he was.

Thread Information