Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lease Question

Load Metric
    Sounds like the house may be in pre-foreclosure at the minimum since you are dealing with a mortgage company. Find out. Go in public records and see if there's a lis pendens filed against the property.

Personally, I like OSA's opinion more than Druffs although you'll get in less trouble with Druff. If the house is in the foreclosure process you should definitely take OSA's advice.

Load Metric
    I think the mortgage company handles it because the guy who owns the house is not local. I talked to both tenants upstairs. I am using one of their internet connections ATM. Clearly not a long term solution. This is day three now. I called yesterday at 830am and they told me they needed to speak with the owner of the home and get back to me. They failed to get back to me. I am not that worried about it since I am using one of the people upstairs connection. This saves me from having to make a quick decision about what to do, and hopefully play it out where I can get a minnimum of 80$ taken from the rent. This isn't about the money. We can pay the rent. It's 1300$ between my girlfriend and I. That's not the issue. The issue is this company just turning off the internet and cable without even letting me know.

I have found out cable and internet included are not on the guys upstairs lease, but it is on ours...

Whatever they do matters zero to me. That is their decision. I wll be calling today and offering them a 80$ reduction. If they don't take it I will just be taking the advice of this thread and sending them a check at the end of the month for 1220$ and saying if you want the rest, we will see you in court.

Isn't all of this bullshit btw? If indeed I said yes to the 45$ wouldn't we also have to go there and sign a brand new lease? I know they are out of bounds with what they're doing. Annoying, but luckily we don't really ever watch cable since we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and comcast online.

This is all about principle.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    I think the mortgage company handles it because the guy who owns the house is not local. I talked to both tenants upstairs. I am using one of their internet connections ATM. Clearly not a long term solution. This is day three now. I called yesterday at 830am and they told me they needed to speak with the owner of the home and get back to me. They failed to get back to me. I am not that worried about it since I am using one of the people upstairs connection. This saves me from having to make a quick decision about what to do, and hopefully play it out where I can get a minnimum of 80$ taken from the rent. This isn't about the money. We can pay the rent. It's 1300$ between my girlfriend and I. That's not the issue. The issue is this company just turning off the internet and cable without even letting me know.

I have found out cable and internet included are not on the guys upstairs lease, but it is on ours...

Whatever they do matters zero to me. That is their decision. I wll be calling today and offering them a 80$ reduction. If they don't take it I will just be taking the advice of this thread and sending them a check at the end of the month for 1220$ and saying if you want the rest, we will see you in court.

Isn't all of this bullshit btw? If indeed I said yes to the 45$ wouldn't we also have to go there and sign a brand new lease? I know they are out of bounds with what they're doing. Annoying, but luckily we don't really ever watch cable since we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and comcast online.

You can't (legally) access HBO GO without a cable account.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

You're from the area I used to live so you know what comcast is for sure. I still have comcast from my family and use that login
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

You're from the area I used to live so you know what comcast is for sure. I still have comcast from my family and use that login
    Gotcha. I only have Comcast for my cable service. DSL for my internet.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

No, if you accepted the $45, you wouldn't have to sign a brand new lease, though you would want something in writing stating that they were allowing you to underpay by $45.

But you shouldn't accept $45 if the replacement internet/cable costs more than $45. You should not be out a penny for any of this.

I am guessing that they did away with the "free" internet/cable because you were the only one who had it in your lease, so they were tired of giving it away to the other tenants who weren't legally entitled to it. They figured you were too stupid or passive to question it.

Pooh, you are wrong. You don't want to roll the dice with evictions unless you're sure you will win, because they will screw up your credit big time. If you withhold ALL of the rent, and then lose the subsequent eviction case, then an eviction will be on your credit, and you'll also be abruptly out of your place to live.

Judges, in general, look unfavorably upon people who find flimsy excuses not to pay the entire rent. They will see you more as a deadbeat/scammer than someone with a valid point. You should always determine how "livable" the property is, and then deduct the correct percentage from there. For example, let's say there is an electrical problem in one of the two bedrooms, and the landlord drags his feet on fixing it for a month, leaving that bedroom with no electricity. You have the right to subtract half the rent, but not the entire rent, as you still had a very usable single bedroom during that time.

In this case, the entire apartment is livable, but they are refusing to pay for a utility that is guaranteed included in the lease. It's very straightforward here. Your damages per month are the cost of replacement services, and that's what should be subtracted. No judge would ever rule in their favor here, so you can safely subtract this and not be scared if they try to evict you.

Comments

Pooh: I never said I was right

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

No, if you accepted the $45, you wouldn't have to sign a brand new lease, though you would want something in writing stating that they were allowing you to underpay by $45.

But you shouldn't accept $45 if the replacement internet/cable costs more than $45. You should not be out a penny for any of this.

I am guessing that they did away with the "free" internet/cable because you were the only one who had it in your lease, so they were tired of giving it away to the other tenants who weren't legally entitled to it. They figured you were too stupid or passive to question it.

Pooh, you are wrong. You don't want to roll the dice with evictions unless you're sure you will win, because they will screw up your credit big time. If you withhold ALL of the rent, and then lose the subsequent eviction case, then an eviction will be on your credit, and you'll also be abruptly out of your place to live.

Judges, in general, look unfavorably upon people who find flimsy excuses not to pay the entire rent. They will see you more as a deadbeat/scammer than someone with a valid point. You should always determine how "livable" the property is, and then deduct the correct percentage from there. For example, let's say there is an electrical problem in one of the two bedrooms, and the landlord drags his feet on fixing it for a month, leaving that bedroom with no electricity. You have the right to subtract half the rent, but not the entire rent, as you still had a very usable single bedroom during that time.

In this case, the entire apartment is livable, but they are refusing to pay for a utility that is guaranteed included in the lease. It's very straightforward here. Your damages per month are the cost of replacement services, and that's what should be subtracted. No judge would ever rule in their favor here, so you can safely subtract this and not be scared if they try to evict you.

Here is what I think is happening. I think the owner of the house isn't aware that cable and internet are included on my lease. Both people upstairs don;t have it on their lease. My lease has cable and internet included as extra perks on the lease. When we moved in two weeks ago the mortgage company had just found out internet and cable were already hooked up and included. It was the homeowner that turned it off once he got a bill for this month and I guess it was too high to his liking. I have a feeling he doesn't realize it's included on MY lease and turned it off without warning.

I have a feeling they will wake up and realize they fucked up by monday. Called today nobody is in the office unless the first of the month falls on a Saturday

Load Metric
    And thank you all for the genuine answers. You guys solidified my belief in what to do.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

This. When I endorsed OSA's advice, I meant you should withhold enough rent to cover your out of pocket expenses for items that under the lease the landlord should have been providing to you. I didn't mean you should withhold the entire rent. Just to clarify.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I think the mortgage company handles it because the guy who owns the house is not local.
    Mortgage company or do you mean property manager? It's an important distinction. You mention that the mortgage company had to check with the owner, and on its face that doesn't make sense.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    I think the mortgage company handles it because the guy who owns the house is not local.
    Mortgage company or do you mean property manager? It's an important distinction. You mention that the mortgage company had to check with the owner, and on its face that doesn't make sense.
    Tony, these questions will never be answered.
    Weiss doesn't Google shit because it's a waste of his time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Good one. I am sure your friends think yo're hilarious IRL...

It's a mortgage company that is the property management

Banned
    Load Metric

This still doesn't make sense why a mortgage company would manage a property unless it was in default, then repossessed, to be sold.

But regardless, I believe they wanted you out of there for some reason so they cut off your cable & internet to Tilt you...and it worked.

Load Metric

This still doesn't make sense why a mortgage company would manage a property unless it was in default, then repossessed, to be sold.

But regardless, I believe they wanted you out of there for some reason so they cut off your cable & internet to Tilt you...and it worked.

You've never heard of Mortgage companies that also handle rentals?

Thread Information