Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama comes off as a slippery politican in Superbowl interview

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Obama comes off as a slippery politican in Superbowl interview

In case you missed it, here is the interview Bill O'Reilly did with President Obama, which aired (taped) during the Superbowl.

It's 10 minutes long.

Obama comes off very poorly, in my opinion, and annoyingly avoids answering any direct questions.

I thought Bill O'Reilly did a good job asking the tough questions and being critical, without coming off obnoxious or preachy. Indeed, Obama did almost all of the speaking during the 10 minutes.

O'Reilly first asked Obama about the healthcare.gov debacle, and whether Obama had any clue beforehand that there would be a problem. Obama tried to dance around the problem (saying there "were some glitches expected" lol), but O'Reilly finally squeezed out of him that, no, he didn't expect it to fail to this degree. When O'Reilly brought up that most Americans still feel the site sucks, Obama danced around it and bragged about all of the people under 27 covered on their parents' plan (again lol).

O'Reilly then asked why nobody has been dismissed over the debacle, and Obama again danced around that. He finally said that he's a President who looks forward to solve problems, and doesn't harp on the past.

It's interesting to hear him say that, because I actually believe it.

There was a very interesting article last year written by a fellow Democrat, lamenting the problems with the Obama Administration. She had insider information from fellow Democrats who didn't want to be identified, for obvious reasons. Again, note that this was NOT a right-wing attack article, but rather written by someone in his own party, frustrated with Obama's poor handling of the healthcare.gov debacle. Anyway, the insiders told her that they derisively nicknamed him "No-Drama-Obama", in reference to the fact that Obama absolutely hates dissension within the ranks. So basically everyone walks on eggshells, afraid to suggest to Obama that someone else on the team might be screwing up. It was theorized that this was the problem. Various people knew in advance about various potential fails with the healthcare.gov site (as well as the disaster with people unexpectedly losing their existing health plans), but nobody wanted to say anything to Obama about it, fearing he would get angry about infighting. Basically, everyone learned just to focus on their own little area, and ignore what was going on around them. This led to the epic failsite known as healthcare.gov on October 1, 2013.

So, yes, I believe Obama has an obsession with "looking forward' rather than both learning from the past and focusing closely on the present. There is basically a lack of critical-thinking and self-awareness within the Administration, which is awful.

He was then asked about the Benghazi situation. He totally dodged those questions. O'Reilly repeatedly asked if Leon Panetta told him it was a terrorist attack when it first occurred, since reliable reports indicated that Panetta was told that it was a terrorist attack, so it made sense he would have communicated the same to Obama.

Obama responded with a bunch of nonsense that Panetta told him "it was an attack", but they didn't discuss whether terrorism was involved. Right. Something like that happens, and terrorism is the first thing on your mind. So Panetta was told that it was terrorism, he runs and tells Obama, and somehow terrorism is never brought up? Obviously Obama is lying or covering for someone here, and he comes off terrible attempting to worm out of this line of questioning.

Finally, the IRS situation was brought up, where Tea Party groups were unfairly targeted for audits. Obama again attempted to dance around the situation, and then amazingly says that there was "no corruption" involved, only "some boneheaded decisions". Complete bullshit, and it makes him again look out of touch.

The funny thing is I actually believe that this wasn't a high-level conspiracy against Republicans or the Tea Party. I don't believe Obama knew about this targeting of the Tea Party, but to say that there wasn't some degree of corruption is totally inaccurate. There was definitely corruption in the IRS involving this matter, where they saw an opportunity to exploit Tea Party groups for tax penalties. Perhaps this was done just for monetary purposes, perhaps it was done because of internal hatred of the Tea Party, and perhaps it was some of both, but it was definitely the result of corruption and a violation of American rights. Obama comes off as extremely dismissive here. He would have come off much better if he admitted there was corruption, but simply blamed it on that local Cincinnati IRS office, and flatly denied any White House involvement. I would have actually believed that answer.

Anyway, he came off as someone afraid to answer any direct questions, and a typical slippery politician, who values reputation over transparency.

It's funny to think back to 2008, when Obama excited the country as a different kind of politician who wanted to bring much-needed change to the political landscape.

I don't even believe that Obama is dishonest or a bad guy. I believe he really does want to change America for the better. His heart was even in the right place with the health care reforms. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand why he did it, and indeed the health care system was broken. I don't believe the same as many conspiracy theorists about his Presidency, such as the IRS situation.

However, I do believe that he just isn't an effective leader. He's a great speaker and very charismatic, but just not a good leader from an operations perspective. The Obamacare debacle was a perfect illustration of that.

Now that he has some scandals dogging him, instead of owning up to them and making a few heads roll where they are deserved, he has gone into defensive spin mode, which resulted in this shifty interview.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Spot on

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In before Rollo

Load Metric
    A smart and thoughtful post. Spot on.

However, Druff, shouldn't you be studying for your test tomorrow night?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    A smart and thoughtful post. Spot on.

However, Druff, shouldn't you be studying for your test tomorrow night?
    You can't study for an autism test.

:rimshot

Sorry Druff, had to do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Obama is a disgrace to his race. The parents of Benghazi 4 deserve to know the truth and are entitled to an apology and the truth.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Obama is a role model to his race.
    FYP
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Obama is a disgrace to his race. The parents of Benghazi 4 deserve to know the truth and are entitled to an apology and the truth.
    Druff's post was spot on Obama is a terrible leader and terrible manager but what does race have to do with it?

Actually one way race might come into play is, I think he's known forever that to fulfill his political ambitions he needed to be a "non-threatening" black guy, and he's spent so many years trying to be everyone's friend he doesn't remember how to swing the hammer.

Comments

Muck Ficon: :this

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    A politician who dances around questions, this is mind blowing news.
    Must be a democrat thing

Comments

Corrigan: lol
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    I literally could have given obama's answers to Oreally, absolutely dumbfounding that anyone would expect he would have played that any differently. Oreally did a worse job a few years ago with his superbowl interview, so at least he threw hardballs this time. Same result though. What does it matter anyway?

Comments

LLL: right on

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    I literally could have given obama's answers to Oreally, absolutely dumbfounding that anyone would expect he would have played that any differently. Oreally did a worse job a few years ago with his superbowl interview, so at least he threw hardballs this time. Same result though. What does it matter anyway?

Exactly.

Obama wasn't going to admit their is corruption. That is political suicide. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't know much about how stubborn politicians have to be.

Load Metric
    Where was your post last year when O'Reilly interrupted the President of the United States 40+ times during the interview. If that's not the most disrespectful thing you can possibly do, I don't know what the fuck is. It's shocking that he even granted this fucking Fox yahoo another one this year.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    O'Reilly has gotten better over the last 3 years, but he's still awful. Maybe he just doesn't seem as bad because there are so many more crazy right wingers... he is being watered down a bit. He's an asshole for interrupting the President... Obama did most of the talking? Of course he did... he was the one being interviewed!! It's not about O'Reilly. Journalism used to mean something and now both sides make a mockery of it. I take great pleasure in watching Bill Maher and John Stewart penetrate right wingers, but I am not close minded enough to not realize they are not being bi-partisan and are only trying to move their agenda......

That's the difference, right wingers really believe guys like O'Reilly and the other crazy's are actually being "fair and balanced." Liberal hippies like me know both sides are moving their agenda and are not being fair to the other party. I feel like right wingers are blind to this fact...

In conclusion... He's the fucking President not a city council member. And O'Reilly is just some guy with a tv show and should act accordingly. There is literally no humility from anyone at Fox... guess that's difficult when you feel you are doing god's work.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
    O'Reilly has gotten better over the last 3 years, but he's still awful. Maybe he just doesn't seem as bad because there are so many more crazy right wingers... he is being watered down a bit. He's an asshole for interrupting the President... Obama did most of the talking? Of course he did... he was the one being interviewed!! It's not about O'Reilly. Journalism used to mean something and now both sides make a mockery of it. I take great pleasure in watching Bill Maher and John Stewart penetrate right wingers, but I am not close minded enough to not realize they are not being bi-partisan and are only trying to move their agenda......

That's the difference, right wingers really believe guys like O'Reilly and the other crazy's are actually being "fair and balanced." Liberal hippies like me know both sides are moving their agenda and are not being fair to the other party. I feel like right wingers are blind to this fact...

In conclusion... He's the fucking President not a city council member. And O'Reilly is just some guy with a tv show and should act accordingly. There is literally no humility from anyone at Fox... guess that's difficult when you feel you are doing god's work.
    Obama agreed to the interview. He wasn't forced to do this with O'Reilly with a gun to his head. If he had demanded someone else, I'm sure they would have capitulated, since Obama was the real draw here, not O'Reilly.

I also don't know anyone who really believes that O'Reilly or Fox News is actually "fair and balanced", just as nobody believes that MSNBC is neutral. It is pretty well-accepted that Fox News is heavily right-leaning and MSNBC is heavily left-leaning. Despite criticism of CNN being liberal, I actually see them more centrist (though I do think they lean more to the left than right).

O'Reilly let Obama speak and did not interrupt very often. When he did interrupt and Obama kept speaking, he shut up and let him finish. I actually liked this form of interview because it prevented Obama from getting away with lying/avoidance, whereas a non-confrontational interview format would have had O'Reilly asking questions and being unable to react to the heaping BS that Obama served up. Here O'Reilly was able to aggressively respond to BS and demand answers to avoided questions, yet I felt he did it in subtle enough fashion to not be outright disrespectful. Obama definitely got his answers across in those 10 minutes.

Also, speaking of Jon Stewart, he definitely likes to pretend that he's just skewering all things political, and not doing it from the left. That's what always annoyed me about him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    But really, Obama's own admission that he only "looks forward" should leave even his biggest supporters concerned.

A good manager/leader knows how to enact consequence for mistakes in the past, is aware of the present, and looks forward to the future. Obama only seems good at one of these three things.

The fact that there wasn't an immediate housecleaning of anyone associated with high-level healthcare.gov decisions speaks volumes about this Administration.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post

I'm with you here but somewhat missing a point that I think needs adding here; In this Super Bowl tradition, the lead NEWSMAN of the network that buys the broadcast rights gets the honors of interviewing the Temp Worker In Chief. That being said, Oreally is not anything close to 'A' newsman, much less THE newsman at Fox News. Chris Wallace is the lead newsman, Oreally being the lead ratings getting 'Editorial' host, that has nothing to do with news. I'd rather that Cavuto did it tbh.

Comments

El Gallo: Good Point

Load Metric
    Pretty obvious who the Dems and who the Repubs in this thread. Surprised DirtyAsshole hasn't chimed in yet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    But really, Obama's own admission that he only "looks forward" should leave even his biggest supporters concerned.

A good manager/leader knows how to enact consequence for mistakes in the past, is aware of the present, and looks forward to the future. Obama only seems good at one of these three things.

The fact that there wasn't an immediate housecleaning of anyone associated with high-level healthcare.gov decisions speaks volumes about this Administration.
    Don't worry, you only have to deal with it another couple years until her highness takes his place.

Load Metric
    Still amazed at how many people get worked up over politics. Both sides are laughing behind our backs as they play us against each other with partisan bullshit.

At this point, Druff I'd rather worry about finding a viable republican contender for 2016 than point out that a lame duck has poor leadership skills.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Still amazed at how many people get worked up over politics. Both sides are laughing behind our backs as they play us against each other with partisan bullshit.

At this point, Druff I'd rather worry about finding a viable republican contender for 2016 than point out that a lame duck has poor leadership skills.
    Simmer down nerd

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Simmer down nerd
    I'm not a nerd, pal.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Thread Information