Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** The Variety No Sobriety Radio Show Premieres Tonight at 12:30am EST / 9:30pm PST ***

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I never listened in the NWP days, but I'm pretty sure this all started with Micon. I'm not aware of any other podcasts or terrestrial radio programs that ever played entire songs before a show. They usually just run 10-second bumpers..

There are plenty that play entire songs
    Oh? Name me a few, outside of poker.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I never listened in the NWP days, but I'm pretty sure this all started with Micon. I'm not aware of any other podcasts or terrestrial radio programs that ever played entire songs before a show. They usually just run 10-second bumpers..

Yes their are plenty that do.

I don't care for a full song either but it's more to give live listeners a chance not to miss anything.

Srsly- The snake in the grass site you were a part of at one point played like 3 full songs an hour on the reg so their isn't anything worse then that.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

I don't care for a full song either but it's more to give live listeners a chance not to miss anything.

Srsly- The snake in the grass site you were a part of at one point played like 3 full songs an hour on the reg so their isn't anything worse then that.
    You're absolutely correct. Snake in the Grass was a fan of NWP and DD. SitG Radio often played full length songs, sometimes in multiples, for the same reasons that Micon likely got into the habit of doing so.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

You're absolutely correct. Snake in the Grass was a fan of NWP and DD. SitG Radio often played full length songs, sometimes in multiples, for the same reasons that Micon likely does it.
    Looking at it from an open mind Micon never played nearly as much as SitG Radio at least not back in the day but if he is now wtf knows I don't listen to his bitcoin talk show.

To argue the other point SitG Radio weren't ready to shut it down 30 minutes in either which a lot of times it's difficult for Micon to do even an hour program without wanting to shut it down so if he was doing an eight hour show he would probably play a ton of music himself.

Their are other options besides a song that can be done at the beginning without getting right into content that can be considered which I will discuss with lew for future episodes. No matter what is done the reality of it all is you can't please everyone which someone like SrslySirius is well aware of from the variance in opinions from people of his own work.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm not trying to bust your balls, BnP. I just don't agree that the "preshow" is at all necessary in most cases. There's nothing wrong with jumping right into the show, as long as you're prepared and starting on time.

If you start your show at the announced time, and your audience is accustomed to you being cordial, then they'll all be ready and waiting for you. Nobody is going to miss anything unless they're just late, which is their own fault. Your loyal and timely listeners shouldn't have to be put on hold to accomodate people like that.

If you never start your show on time, and the audience expects your show to start at "7ish" or something like that, then a preshow may be necessary to give everyone some cushion. If you're unprepared and need some time to think about how you're going to start your show, you may need to stall a bit. If you are worried that you may endure technical failures and have to check that everything is running smoothly, then the preshow may be necessary.

But if you're confident, competent, and cordial, then you don't have to (nor should you) precede the show with 3-6 minutes of stalling.

Like I said, I'm not singling you out because we're all guilty of doing this. Every show I've ever done has started this way, as has Druff's. I'm just pointing this out in the interest of keeping it real. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

Comments

BeerAndPoker: fair assessment with constructive feedback and will definitely weigh the options

lewfather: evening out bnps rep

Banned
    Load Metric
    In response to your generous rep comment, I'd like to clarify that I'm not suggesting that you stop doing the preshow. I relied on it myself just to feel comfortable. Druff, who's basically a pro at this, still does it probably for similar reasons, and perhaps because he usually doesn't start on time. What I'm saying is, let's be honest about the reasons for doing it.

EDIT: Also, sorry for derailing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In response to your generous rep comment, I'd like to clarify that I'm not suggesting that you stop doing the preshow. I relied on it myself just to feel comfortable. Druff, who's basically a pro at this, still does it probably for similar reasons, and perhaps because he usually doesn't start on time. What I'm saying is, let's be honest about the reasons for doing it.

EDIT: Also, sorry for derailing.
    Yeah, if your running late then playing a song could give the host a chance to check over some criteria, grab a beverage, or whatever else they want to do in a couple minutes.

I don't feel the few minutes will help prepare any show if content hasn't been thought out so the only reasons in my opinion to play a song to benefit the host are the ones I described but I get your point in regards to this being something people have got accustomed to doing throughout the poker community for whatever reason in might be.

No reason to apologize when your being constructive in giving your opinion which is better then saying "show sucks, didn't like" which is too generic not helping the hosts figure out what can be looked into for improvements.

Load Metric

Oh? Name me a few, outside of poker.
    It's apples and oranges comparing BnP's show to major podcasts or terrestrial radio (radio still exists?). I listen to Carolla every day, his show starts with around 2 minutes of ads/intros, mixed in with usually 1 ad break in the middle and various live reads for sponsors. Most sponsored podcasts do this. No different than an unsponsored one playing a song at the beginning.

I'd rather hear a random song over hearing about LegalZoom 20 times a month, but business is business.

Load Metric
    I'm not trying to bust your balls, BnP. I just don't agree that the "preshow" is at all necessary in most cases. There's nothing wrong with jumping right into the show, as long as you're prepared and starting on time.

If you start your show at the announced time, and your audience is accustomed to you being cordial, then they'll all be ready and waiting for you. Nobody is going to miss anything unless they're just late, which is their own fault. Your loyal and timely listeners shouldn't have to be put on hold to accomodate people like that.

If you never start your show on time, and the audience expects your show to start at "7ish" or something like that, then a preshow may be necessary to give everyone some cushion. If you're unprepared and need some time to think about how you're going to start your show, you may need to stall a bit. If you are worried that you may endure technical failures and have to check that everything is running smoothly, then the preshow may be necessary.

But if you're confident, competent, and cordial, then you don't have to (nor should you) precede the show with 3-6 minutes of stalling.

Like I said, I'm not singling you out because we're all guilty of doing this. Every show I've ever done has started this way, as has Druff's. I'm just pointing this out in the interest of keeping it real. It's not a feature, it's a bug.
    I'm predicting in 10 years you'll be more successful than anyone on here. You'll be worth millions if you keep on the path you are travelling. Maybe your future isn't in poker but its your start.

Comments

Corrigan: Lenny Dykstra of PFA

Banned
    Load Metric
    wait so some dudes on a forum are writing paragraphs about intro songs on a Saturday?

....paragraphs

Jesus Christ lol

Comments

SrslySirius: revenge rep

DRK Star: paragraphs....we're talking paragraphs here, man.....paragraphs...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Obv I'm not an American sports degen but you guys managed to keep those segments interesting, and the rest of the show with Josie, and the poker was pretty good. I'd listen again.

2 hrs seemed a good length for the show as well.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Keep the song.

Comments

Pooh: hey i thought you liked me
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Gave the rest of the show a listen today. It was ok. Josie was funny. One of the hosts is much better than the other imo.

Load Metric
    Ok, I will host a show.

You're welcome
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Ok, I will host a show.

You're welcome
    Sounds good.
    Here are some topics:
    pills ,scams , and suicide attempts.
    ...Talk amongst yourself.

Comments

adamantium: lol

Load Metric
    HOF

Load Metric
    Weiss,

When you were on that radio show that LLL and I did a few years back, you were pretty good, but you need to enunciate a little bit more. It was hard to understand you a few times.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I start a song at the beginning for 2 reasons.

The first has already been stated. I often don't start on time, so I want people to be able to show up within the first 3 minutes and not miss anything.

The second is a bit more complicated.

Basically, I was forced to endure awful rap music at the beginning of NWP/DD Radio shows, because I wasn't the one running the controls.

Once I was running my own show, I felt like I was finally free to play the mostly-1980s music I always wanted to play instead of the rap, and it felt weird to say, "Well, now that I'm running the show, I don't have to play ANY music!"

I waited all that time, and now I wanted to play my music.

I actually am a big proponent of giving the listeners what they want, and not just forcing something down their throats because I personally like it. However, the song at the beginning takes just a few minutes, and anyone who doesn't like it can just turn down the volume or fast forward it in the archives.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Always thought it was my cue to write "Fuck you Druff" in the chat

fluffer: not updating your ''i am a fat fuck & want to lose weight '' thread rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Ok, I will host a show.

You're welcome
    Sounds good.
    Here are some topics:
    pills ,scams , and suicide attempts.
    ...Talk amongst yourself.

I would talk about all those things. I know it wouldn't be as interesting to you as what the top five threads on PFA were that week though. You probably live such an interesting life, on the internet.....

Comments

gauchojake: Always entertaining
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If Weiss really wants to run a show here, he can. But does he have an incoming Skype number and a stereo mix sound card?

Comments

adamantium: scammers running the show

Thread Information