Thread: Official Self Help Thread

Load Metric

Official Self Help Thread

If you ever get pink eye, just buy a travel size contact solution and put a drop in your eyes twice a day for 3 days.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    If you start getting a sore throat, suck on a vitamin C tablet. I havent gotten sick in 5 years by doing this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    If you have floppy ear puppies, they get ear infections a lot. To prevent mix half vinegar and half rubbing alcohol and put a couple drops in each ear weekly to prevent infections.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric

I'm thinking about trying the clove part of this. I hate the dentist.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    If you start getting a sore throat, suck on a vitamin C tablet. I havent gotten sick in 5 years by doing this.
    Being someone who averages about 4 colds per year, some of them being very severe (like the one I just had), the vitamin C thing interested me.

It seems that most medical research dismisses the vitamin C thing, but I'm not so sure. Many swear by it.

I tried it myself since 2018.

As soon as I felt cold symptoms coming on, I would take 1000mg vitamin C. For a few colds in a row, it seemed to work. The colds would dissipate quickly, with mild symptoms even at their worst point.

In January, this failed, and I got a cold with worse-than-average symptoms despite the vitamin C.

Last week, this failed. I got a cold with severe symptoms despite the vitamin C.

So I'm not sure what to say.

I tried taking over 1000mg and I started having stomach issues (which apparently is common), so I decided to stick to 1000.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Being someone who averages about 4 colds per year, some of them being very severe (like the one I just had), the vitamin C thing interested me.

It seems that most medical research dismisses the vitamin C thing, but I'm not so sure. Many swear by it.

I tried it myself since 2018.

As soon as I felt cold symptoms coming on, I would take 1000mg vitamin C. For a few colds in a row, it seemed to work. The colds would dissipate quickly, with mild symptoms even at their worst point.

In January, this failed, and I got a cold with worse-than-average symptoms despite the vitamin C.

Last week, this failed. I got a cold with severe symptoms despite the vitamin C.

So I'm not sure what to say.

I tried taking over 1000mg and I started having stomach issues (which apparently is common), so I decided to stick to 1000.
    You just need a 500 mg, let it melt on the back of your tongue, don't swallow it. Not chewable, the tablet form. You have to do this within a couple hours of onset of symptoms.

Comments

Tellafriend: it's bullshit; drink a table spoon of cider vinegar

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you ever get pink eye, just buy a travel size contact solution and put a drop in your eyes twice a day for 3 days.
    This one is probably an old wives tale.

About half of pink eye is viral, and half is bacterial. It is very difficult, even upon examination by a doctor, to tell which one it is.

For this reason, the doctors prescribe antibiotic drops, just to be safe.

If you have the bacterial type, the contact solution isn't going to make it go away.

If you have the viral type, the contact solution also won't help, but it will go away on its own anyway, as viruses tend to do.

I've only had pink eye twice in my life -- both rode along with a cold, making it more likely they were viral. The first time I did nothing, and it went away by itself. The second time was a worse case (it had discharge, which at one point got so bad I was waking up with my eyes sealed shut), and I went to the doctor. I was living in Vegas at the time, and had an absolutely awful experience at a crappy opthalmologist mega-office which pretty much was a co-op of every opthalmologist in Vegas. I won't bother to go into the details, but let me just say that healthcare in Vegas absolutely sucks, and is one thing I don't miss about the place. Anyway, the drops the guy gave me were likely useless, because again I think it was viral.

Comments

splitthis: Works every time.

Thread Information