Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official WSOP 2013 Discussion/Rail Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tough one there for Galfond but would have worked it Chidwick didn't have a monster like pocket kings.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That Jeff Madsen twitter series about the Ladies Event was great.

Winning a 3rd bracelet really helped this guy's sense of humor.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That Jeff Madsen twitter series about the Ladies Event was great.

Winning a 3rd bracelet really helped this guy's sense of humor.
    he's been tweeting like that during the ladies event for at least the last two years

i think it has more to do with the fact he doesn't try to rap anymore, that was pretty embarrassing

Load Metric
    Canadian Kristen Bicknell, of Nepean, Ontario just scored Canada's 10th bracelet out of 51 events so far, setting the record for the most bracelets won by a non-US country at the World Series of Poker

Happy Canada Day

Comments

Deal: EZ rep

Diamond
    Load Metric
    After an 8 year absence (the booze), it looks like thesidedish will be returning to the WSOP Main Event. I will be buying in 10k unless I win a satty in the days prior. Druff I have a cpl questions for you please:

is the buy in exactly 10k? could I just buy in with a $10,000 cashiers check?

Im sure you've answered this before, but a quick refresher course on the differences and advantages between the Day 1's?

Im going to vegas for the sole reason to play this tourney, any reason I shouldn't stay at the rio?

Would u like to buy me dinner some night?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    After an 8 year absence (the booze), it looks like thesidedish will be returning to the WSOP Main Event. I will be buying in 10k unless I win a satty in the days prior. Druff I have a cpl questions for you please:

Im sure you've answered this before, but a quick refresher course on the differences and advantages between the Day 1's?

Im going to vegas for the sole reason to play this tourney, any reason I shouldn't stay at the rio?

I think u need to wire in the 10k or u can pay in cash, I'd just stay @ rio, makes thing easier, I checked in last night, desk tried to soak me for 200 a night and 500 on weekends. Call the harrahs hotel # (on wsop page) and book your rooms through them and make sure to get wsop rate. I got like 69 a night for the weeknights and I think fri and sat they go up to like 180

1a or 1b look the best to me but any which way there are 6000+ people playing so I don't think it really matters a whole lot

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

the side dish is a great NL MTT player. GL to a DEEP RUN

Comments

thesidedish: was

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Yes, the buyin is exactly $10k. I don't know if they accept cashier's checks. You should check with them beforehand on this. I always buy in with cash.

Regarding the three Day 1s, here is my personal belief about them, which actually differs from some others' opinions, so keep that in mind:

Day 1A is always the least popular. I think you get a fair number of pros who have the "get it overwith and leave Vegas if I fail" mentality, which leads to a higher percentage (again, in my opinion) of pros. However, this year 1A takes place on a Saturday, so it might appeal to fish who only want to miss work if they make it to Day 2. Therefore, I think Day 1A is a decent choice this year.

Day 1B is also not that popular, but moreso than 1A. I always choose 1B (or either 1B/1C if it's a 4-flight Day 1), because I think it usually has the highest percentage of non-pros. I believe this to be the case because it's not first (so you get all of the impatient pros out of the way), and it's not last (which the pros inexplicably love, for some reason). I can tell you from experience, especially the last few years, there have been a lot of donks and semi-donks at my Day 1 starting tables, so either I'm running really well with table draws or I'm onto something here.

Day 1C (or whatever the last day is) is the most popular, to the point where it often sells out. In past years (when there were four flights for Day 1, and it was Day 1D), it actually got more people than 1A and 1B combined! However, nearly every pro I talk to seems to tell me they always like to play the last day! For some reason, none have been able to explain why they like to play the last day, but they overwhelmingly choose the last starting day. While you might explain this as simply being a function of more people in general liking the last day (since it's the largest by far), I have still found a disproportionate number of pros like the final day. Therefore, I stay away from it. It also has the disadvantage of the least amount of rest in between days, which will actually mean something if you make it deep. I will tell you that, in 2010, when I made it into late Day 6, I was starting to feel like I could use a day's break again (and sadly I got it, when I busted!) Anyway, I would suggest you avoid 1C and go for either 1A or 1B. Also, 1C is on Monday this year, which also sucks, because fish who want to play on the weekend won't like this day.

I will also go as far to say that your table makeup is huge in this one. That's because you start out very deep, and being able to save bets (or extract extra bets) against lousy players as crucial to success as getting good cards. This differs from, say, a $1500 NL event, where you are often committed to get your money in with a reasonably good hand, whether your opponent is great or mediocre. At the Main, both your table position and selection of opponents is huge. If you are fortunate enough to get a table full of non-pros, you will dominate given average or better cards.

Rio is the best place to stay. Pick the Ipanema tower. It is MUCH quieter, and it's a lot closer. Don't let them talk you into the Masquerade tower, even if they claim the rooms are superior. In reality, they are only a little better in Masquerade, and the location for Ipanema is WAY better for the WSOP, and the noise level is also way better in Ipanema. Overall the hotel is kinda poorly maintained, but rooms are big and it's not a complete shithole. It's good enough unless you are a big hotel snob.

I will go to dinner with you, but you can pay your own way. You beat Richard Brodie for a lot more money than I ever did.

Load Metric
    Girl headsup in event #54

Dana Castaneda vs another Canadian. She's up 7.2 mill to 1.45 mill

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Girl headsup in event #54

Dana Castaneda vs another Canadian. She's up 7.2 mill to 1.45 mill
    She's an amateur who played another event, cashed, and then jumped into this only to get HU. I watched it a bit she made a few weird plays but a few really good ones too though mostly she's been a card rack.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Day 1C (or whatever the last day is) is the most popular, to the point where it often sells out. In past years (when there were four flights for Day 1, and it was Day 1D), it actually got more people than 1A and 1B combined! However, nearly every pro I talk to seems to tell me they always like to play the last day! For some reason, none have been able to explain why they like to play the last day, but they overwhelmingly choose the last starting day. .
    Is it possible there is a psychological element to it since you've already outlasted 1000s of players and a number of pros?
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Congrats to that girl on winning!

*giggling*
    Load Metric

a few weeks in fluffers bootcamp and this current fattie will be a hottie, ok

EDIT:

then again,

what was fluffer thinking?

*shaking head*
    Last edited by fluffer; 07-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    She's definitely not attractive to me but her story is a bit touching.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Seems like a nice girl. I wonder if she was good or just lucky.

She says she's originally from Laughlin. I don't know if that's accurate. Laughlin has a tiny population. Almost everyone who works in Laughlin actually lives in Bullhead City (Arizona) or Needles (Califorina).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

She says she's originally from Laughlin. I don't know if that's accurate. Laughlin has a tiny population. Almost everyone who works in Laughlin actually lives in Bullhead City (Arizona) or Needles (Califorina).
    I caught some of the hands and she played decently in spots but strange in others, however, she was very lucky at the final table.

At one point early on she had I believe 7bbs then doubled, then doubled again and never looked back. She busted most of the players at the final table. From what I read and caught from the stream I don't think she lost a single all in after that. She made a few good calls and when deep stacked she did put some pressure on her opponents but most of the time it seemed she caught something on every flop even if it was only bottom pair or a draw that she was able to fire away whereas if she didn't catch anything I wonder if she would have been as trigger happy.

I thought I heard them say she was from Arizona but in that case Laughlin is close enough.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

I caught some of the hands and she played decently in spots but strange in others, however, she was very lucky at the final table.

At one point early on she had I believe 7bbs then doubled, then doubled again and never looked back. She busted most of the players at the final table. From what I read and caught from the stream I don't think she lost a single all in after that. She made a few good calls and when deep stacked she did put some pressure on her opponents but most of the time it seemed she caught something on every flop even if it was only bottom pair or a draw that she was able to fire away whereas if she didn't catch anything I wonder if she would have been as trigger happy.

I thought I heard them say she was from Arizona but in that case Laughlin is close enough.
    I skimmed the updates and thought she won a lot of races. Card rack + flopping great + winning races + getting aggressive with the big stack, repeat = WINNER.

Load Metric
    Kevin Song took 14th in the player's championship. Would have been wicked awesome if he took it down, because then I could say I played $1/$2 with the guy that won the player's championship. I've played poker with him a few times in Seoul. He runs the poker room there and usually when we were on the border of starting a new table he'd sit with us and play so the table could open.

Guy is extremely nice. He's a really really tight poker player though. He's really good, has a bracelet even, he's caught me off guard with hands way outside the range he's typically in, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing about 1 hand per 2 hours in this thing. I'm glad he at least cashed.

Load Metric
    goldfarb just got a shoutout on the live stream of the 50k

Thread Information