Page 96 of 419 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 8362

Thread: Bitcoins are officially donkdown

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    http://www.cnet.com/search/?query=scam
    ZMG IF U USE THE INTERNET U ARE IN DANGER!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The opportunity that Bitcoins offer some type of people is unique and valuable to them. It's here to stay just like the internet and Pokerstars.

Load Metric
    Google exploring integrating Bitcoin into GooglePay. Guess this came out last Thurs.

Project called Plaso. Some tie in with Square. Bluetooth vs NFC.

I don't know what to think but I like this price action and if I can go long around $241-$242 I will take a shot.

Edit: well I got my wish $241.45 It's got every chance to succeed in a weekly time frame.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-17-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Load Metric
    Well, that didn't work out.

U.S. Marshals to auction off 50,000 bitcoins forfeited by Silk Road founder - Reuters

$11,000,000

Feds will be competing for buyers with all the stolen coins recently. The list of hacked exchanges just isn't news anymore.

Probably sink below $220

What a mess.

Edit: auction March 5th 08:00-14:00 preregistered bidders only vs open mkt

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Google exploring integrating Bitcoin into GooglePay. Guess this came out last Thurs.

Project called Plaso. Some tie in with Square. Bluetooth vs NFC.

I don't know what to think but I like this price action and if I can go long around $241-$242 I will take a shot.

Edit: well I got my wish $241.45 It's got every chance to succeed in a weekly time frame.
    im seeing a lot of sorta kinda legit but not entirely epay systems like that make overtures towards accepting btc, and i suspect the primary motivation behind it is wanting to rope in people looking to cash out of the btc market. eg its a million times easier to get people to fund their wallets by cashing out their bitcoins into them than it would be to get people to deposit cash.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Anyone feel like trading some Amazon cash for bitcoin? Like $100 worth

Or a transfer on carbon?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

im seeing a lot of sorta kinda legit but not entirely epay systems like that make overtures towards accepting btc, and i suspect the primary motivation behind it is wanting to rope in people looking to cash out of the btc market. eg its a million times easier to get people to fund their wallets by cashing out their bitcoins into them than it would be to get people to deposit cash.
    Interesting notion 'tine.

Can this possibly be accurate? The source for this data is US Federal Reserve so it's accuracy is suspect in my mind.

The chart was offered to illustrate how nobody actually spends Bitcoins. Utility is a farce.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  38.0 KB
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-18-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Load Metric
    Bitcoin Crime Wave Breaks Out in NYC

NYC firefighter kidnapped, robbed and stabbed by crypto thieves
    By Jack Smith IV | 02/20/15 9:54am

Bitcoin, the technology that’s meant to revolutionize the way we think of money, is simultaneously revolutionizing the way we get mugged.

A New York City firefighter named Dwayne Richards was recently held up, stabbed and robbed by thieves who were after his bitcoin, the Observer has learned. From what we’ve discovered, Mr. Richards, who is a firefighter in lower Manhattan, was mugged and left bleeding after meeting the robbers under the pretense of exchanging bitcoin for cash in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. He’s alive, well, and refusing comment.

Typically, when we hear of bitcoin-related crimes, it’s a white-collar affair—millions of dollars going missing from an overseas exchange, or a plucky enthusiast finding himself in an international money-laundering scheme.

But robbing someone of his bitcoin in person can be an astonishingly effective way to make off with vast sums of capital quickly and untraceably. And Mr. Richards is far from the first to fall victim to bitcoin-related brutality.

Stagecoach robberies

Dean Katz is a one-man bitcoin exchange. Every day, he drives around New York buying and selling bitcoin, on call to a large customer base. He’s like a weed delivery guy, only instead of delivering drugs, he’s bringing people the future of financial transactions.

One day, he received a call from someone who had heard about his services, either online or through a referral, who wanted to visit him out in Queens at a secure location.

“He called because he wanted to gamble during the Super Bowl, which is pretty common,” Mr. Katz told the Observer.

When the person arrived, he held Mr. Katz up at gunpoint and forced him to transfer $8,500 worth of bitcoin. Then, the robber took $3,500 in cash and split.

‘Right now, it’s like the Wild West,’ Mr. Katz said, ‘and stagecoach robberies are going to happen.’

Mr. Katz reported the incident to the police, and he’s heard from a number of people also who trade bitcoin in person that there have been other incidents. Some of the occurrences have been physical robberies, others have just involved the use of counterfeit money—which as a hustling entrepreneur, Mr. Katz considers just as offensive.

Bitcoin may be a digital currency, but trading it in person is still one of the fastest and most reliable ways to exchange it. Signing on and having your account verified with an exchange can take weeks, and if you’re new to using cryptocurrencies, it’s helpful to have someone knowledgeable over your shoulder to walk you through the process.

Also, having someone with you in person is, ironically, a safer way to transact. It allows you to monitor the transaction and adds a layer of trust. Again, bitcoin is so new to so many people, there are plenty of creative ways to defraud people online. It accounts for why LocalBitcoins, a platform for finding people to do business with in your area, is one of the largest trading platforms in the world.

But if the person you’re dealing with turns on you, you’ll find all of the benefits of bitcoin turning on you, too.

The Wild West

The best thing about bitcoin is that you can move vast sums of money nearly instantly without needing to go through a bank or centralized, governing body for approval or monitoring. But one thing banks are good at is dealing with thieves.

If someone held you up at gunpoint and made you wire your money from a bank account, a bank would be able to see the receiving account and, in most cases, link it to the person who goes to collect from that account. Bitcoin isn’t exactly anonymous, per se, but a thief who is smart and careful enough can make it nearly impossible to be linked to an account once he’s received his payload.

New York State is currently working on controversial legislation to legitimize and regulate bitcoin without totally clipping its wings as a revolutionary tool. Mr. Katz says that he hopes there will eventually be physical, centralized exchanges and centers where bitcoin can be traded in safe, public forums. Until then, he simply has to watch his back.

“Right now, it’s like the Wild West,” Mr. Katz said, “and stagecoach robberies are going to happen.”

Days after Micon lands in Antigua...

COINCIDENCE?

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    JFC really?

Driving round NYC trading anything from your car while carrying thousands of dollars of cash/goods. What could possibly go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Winklevoss twins believe bitcoin will ‘wipe out’ cash
    http://nypost.com/2015/03/17/winklev...ash-in-future/

AUSTIN, Texas — The Winklevoss twins predicted a “cashless society” by 2025 as they continued their push to popularize the troubled virtual currency bitcoin.

The square-jawed Harvard grads — most famous for their legal battle with former classmate Mark Zuckerberg over the ownership of Facebook — said bitcoin is destined to wipe out the use of cash, credit cards and other fee-based money-transfer services like PayPal.

“Cash is going to be killed,” Tyler Winklevoss told a crowd Monday at SXSW Interactive, the annual tech conference. “It will be nostalgia … You’ll tell your grandkids about the wallet, it was this thing made of leather.”

Cameron Winklevoss chimed in, saying he wasn’t even carrying his wallet at the moment.

“I didn’t want to sit on it for an hour,” he said. “It would hurt my butt.”

Bitcoin has had a bumpy ride over the past year amid hacking scandals and last year’s collapse of Mt. Gox, a Japan-based exchange.

“Personally, we’re not really worried. We’ve not sold a single bitcoin,” Cameron Winklevoss said. “It’s behaving like a technology company. It’s had its ups and downs.”

The duo hope to gain regulatory approval in 2015 for Gemini, a bitcoin exchange, and a bitcoin exchange-traded fund.
    WOW!!!, the Winklevoss twins are as clueless about Bitcoin as Bryan Micon.

Bitcoin is going to collapse as an alternative currency because it's almost impossible to mine and people don't trust it.

Load Metric
    Evolution dark net drug market just shuttered itself, admins capered off with $12m in btc.

Comments

4Dragons: HOF

Load Metric
    Guys Im hearing a lot of weird rumors that btc-e.com is folding. Like right now. Like no monies for anyone gg folding.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Guys Im hearing a lot of weird rumors that btc-e.com is folding. Like right now. Like no monies for anyone gg folding.
    "fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    "fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

i mean seriously, granted, especially because everyone said from the beginning that btc-e looked acted and smelled like a eastern euro crime gang front, but they also were/are a huuuge player in the bitcoin exchange game.. so if its true, wow..

Load Metric
    I wouldnt call the Winklevii clueless....I would call them promoters.

They have a lot invested in the success of bitcoins, so it makes sense that they would be out publicly slinging the shit to get people motivated to use it.

Load Metric
    so, the btc-e panic made the front page of reddit, causing a panic across all the exchanges.

Load Metric
    dead man walking:

A man long suspected as one of biggest thieves in Dark Net history is finally sitting in jail after trying to launder the millions of dollars he took during a monumental heist, according to Czech media.

The theft happened in the chaos that followed the arrest of Silk Road owner Ross Ulbricht. Thousands of black market customers moved to a relatively new anonymous website for illicit products, called Sheep Marketplace. But within weeks, that site was gone, as was customer’s money. Its owner was suspected of stealing upwards of tens of millions of dollars, as Bitcoin's value skyrocketed in Dec. 2014.

It took only a couple of hours before the Internet identified a suspect: Thomas Jiřikovský. In a flurry, his Facebook page and real life address were exposed to the world. Jiřikovský denied being involved immediately.

But now, Jiřikovský is behind bars after attempting to buy a luxury home in Lusatia, a region in the Czech Republic, under his grandfather’s name.

Police described his funds to make the purchase as the “proceeds of crime.” Unable to credibly explain the origin of the millions of dollars he used to buy the villa, the police made the connection between Sheep Marketplace and Jiřikovský quickly. Czech financial police launched an investigation into Jiřikovský's money and found that house had been paid for entirely in Bitcoins.

Police are not divulging the full details of their findings as yet.

As Jiřikovský sits in jail, many are wondering if the same fate awaits other Dark Net thieves. Just two weeks ago, millions of dollars were stolen from Evolution, one of the largest online black markets to date.

There's reason to be skeptical, however. Jiřikovský's name was outed within hours of the fall of Sheep Marketplace. No such event has taken place since Evolution's closing.

Additionally, Evolution was founded and run by professional credit card frauds who have made a living for years laundering money. They're likely much more adept at surreptitiously moving stolen cash.

Still, Jiřikovský's arrest shows that laundering millions in Bitcoins is not easy. Stealing Bitcoins on the Dark Net isn't much of a challenge. Turning the digital currency into real world cash, though, is an entirely different question.

Load Metric
    2 former federal agents charged with stealing Bitcoin during Silk Road probe

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/30/politi...oin/index.html

Cliffs:

-Agent Carl Force extorted $100k from Ulbricht (silkroad). Used a series of bitcoin transfers, wires to launder money
    -Force also used his position as an executive at a digital currency exchange called CoinMKT, in which he was an investor, to seize accounts of customers. He transferred $297,000 in illegally-seized digital currency to his personal accounts

-Agent Shaun Bridges stole $820,000 of bitcoin that had been stolen from Silk Road. Used a series of wire transfers to take the money that had been stolen from Silk Road and deposited to Mt Gox.

Thread Information