Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Now that it's all over... can someone explain what happened to Boris?

Load Metric
    Boris had that guy who won a WSOP event and was fucking(?) Toots. He didn't post often but we had him.

We also had a pre-scamming Ship who was an MTT beast.

Comments

4Dragons: lol, shiptheperc

thesidedish: wtf, i was better than that scamming POS
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Boris had that guy who won a WSOP event and was fucking(?) Toots. He didn't post often but we had him.

I'm not saying there weren't any good poker players on Boris. Ship may have been a good player, but nobody knew him outside of the existing NWP crowd.

The guy who won the WSOP event (Justin Shronk's cousin) was a casual player who kind of came out of nowhere to win that bracelet. Even after that win, few people knew who he was, aside from big fans of poker. He also wasn't super-active on Boris, from what I remember.

I'm just saying that Boris did not have a factor which would lead people to discover it, nor was it at all welcoming to new users who weren't familiar with the culture of levels and inside jokes there. NWP, on the other hand, attracted a constant stream of new users who heard about the site because of its association with me, Dustin, or Micon, and then they would stay when reading a number of easily-understandable, general-interest topics.

This isn't so much a criticism of Boris, but just highlighting the difference between the two places. Once the Boris defection occurred, that site was probably more fun (at least for awhile), but NWP remained the place much more likely to get (and keep) new users.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some of you probably remember Max Dreidel. He was one of NWP's best posters circa 2008-2009, and surprisingly never made it over to Boris.

I know there was an active attempt to recruit him, in which Max told Vwls privately that he quietly lurks on Boris, but really only wanted to be an active member on one forum, so he was going to stick with NWP.

You might also notice that MaxDreidel was active on DD all the way up until it became a ghost town, and then he just vanished. He never made it over to PFA, despite the fact that you won't find a shred of evidence that he and I disliked each other.

So why didn't he come to Boris, and why didn't he transfer over to PFA once DD died?

Only Max knows for sure, but I'm pretty certain that the reason is Martha.

Max and Martha struck up an e-friendship when the Lithuanians agreed to buy NWP shirts to give away, and Martha took orders from people. (These shirts were free to the userbase, as both the shirts and the shipping was paid by Pokernews.)

Martha needed Max's shirt size and address (sent privately), and from there, they ended up talking back and forth, becoming friends.

Martha never asked Max not to go over to Boris, but out of respect for her, he didn't. That's why he stayed at NWP and simply lurked on Boris.

Similarly, he probably wanted to follow the group over here after DD ghost-towned, but given the way things ended between me and Micon, likely also felt that would have been disrespectful to Martha.

I am not accusing Martha of telling him not to come here (or Boris), because I don't think that happened in either case. I think Max is just a very loyal guy, and decided that both Boris and PFA were "enemies" of the Micons.

I will give Max credit for staying out of the drama that occurred when I left DD (and the subsequent problems when PFA came up), and I always thought he was a great poster.

He's of course welcome to register and post here, but I doubt he ever will.

Load Metric

Comments

rum dick: never effing forget

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

I'm not saying there weren't any good poker players on Boris. Ship may have been a good player, but nobody knew him outside of the existing NWP crowd.

The guy who won the WSOP event (Justin Shronk's cousin) was a casual player who kind of came out of nowhere to win that bracelet. Even after that win, few people knew who he was, aside from big fans of poker. He also wasn't super-active on Boris, from what I remember.

I'm just saying that Boris did not have a factor which would lead people to discover it, nor was it at all welcoming to new users who weren't familiar with the culture of levels and inside jokes there. NWP, on the other hand, attracted a constant stream of new users who heard about the site because of its association with me, Dustin, or Micon, and then they would stay when reading a number of easily-understandable, general-interest topics.

This isn't so much a criticism of Boris, but just highlighting the difference between the two places. Once the Boris defection occurred, that site was probably more fun (at least for awhile), but NWP remained the place much more likely to get (and keep) new users.
    Yeah, because he was busy fucking Toots.

Also, have any of sites welcomed new members without a little bit of skepticism or ribbing?

And I'm not sure new posters are the best idea. More often than not you wind up with guys like 6TP and Searles.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    I think the humor was best at Boris. Lots of hilarious stories, good natured ribbing, trip reports, and photoshops.

There wasnt much of posters bashing each other and terrible posting.

Im sure Skats has its moments too, but Im not an IM guy, so Im out of the loop on the obscure humor over there. DD died to me once Micon starting acting like he was king over there and didnt respect his user base. He basically treated people like shit, then cried when we wouldnt come back.

Comments

LLL: On point.

Load Metric
    MaxDreidel was/is GOD.

Load Metric
    All I have from WOF now is a distant memory. Thanks Ian.

Load Metric
    Nothing will ever beat the lolomon thread on boris.

Comments

gauchojake: I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Laughing about it now. Too bad my iPad submitted the rep before I could complete my thought.

Load Metric
    Fun with n-words and Falconry will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

Also, my trip report to New Orleans with Floppy bot and Toots, where I got to bang his tall blond hot friend.

never forget

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Fun with n-words and Falconry will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

Also, my trip report to New Orleans with Floppy bot and Toots, where I got to bang his tall blond hot friend.

never forget

Steve is definitely tall but hot might be a stretch.

Load Metric
    Some of you probably remember Max Dreidel. He was one of NWP's best posters circa 2008-2009, and surprisingly never made it over to Boris.
    Max posted on boris occasionally (under a different name)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Max posted on boris occasionally (under a different name)
    Can you reveal his screen name, or is that super-secret?

Thread Information