Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of Gold. Finally good poker show?

Load Metric

Game of Gold. Finally good poker show?

FTR I have a soft spot for Kevin Martin.

Might be the first time I can get girlfriend to watch poker with me.

Starts next week.

Comments

Mission146:
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Yes, thank you for this.

Also, I’m in love with Maria Ho and she’s there, awesome. Druff can confirm.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    KMART IS IN THAT DUMB REALITY SHOW, THE TRAITORS. UGH.

Comments

ShawnFanningsLimpDick: A nigga's got to eat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Starts next week.

I have to be honest and say that I think it looks incredibly stupid. It's basically like any other dumbass semi-scripted reality show, except it's about poker this time. Also, why the hell would Daniel Negreanu ever care about 400-some thousand dollars? If I had his money, I'd buy a modest house (or apartment) near a country club and never leave it other than to go golfing or the grocery store. Probably figure out anticipated expenses for thirty years, multiply by 1.5, invest conservatively in CD's and Treasury Bonds, then donate whatever was left after that.
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    I only watched the uk version. Game had way too many flaws and was rigged. So I never watched the Canadian version. But when I used to watch big brother Kmart was awesome m it and ran the house.
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post

Starts next week.

I have to be honest and say that I think it looks incredibly stupid. It's basically like any other dumbass semi-scripted reality show, except it's about poker this time. Also, why the hell would Daniel Negreanu ever care about 400-some thousand dollars? If I had his money, I'd buy a modest house (or apartment) near a country club and never leave it other than to go golfing or the grocery store. Probably figure out anticipated expenses for thirty years, multiply by 1.5, invest conservatively in CD's and Treasury Bonds, then donate whatever was left after that.
    To this day there is no poker show that stands up to the mid 2000s WSOP production. This won’t either. But given how shitty televised poker has been the last 10 years I’m optimistic. I am a little worried about the team format and scripted crap. But I do think the casting and production team gives me hope.

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    To this day there is no poker show that stands up to the mid 2000s WSOP production. This won’t either. But given how shitty televised poker has been the last 10 years I’m optimistic. I am a little worried about the team format and scripted crap. But I do think the casting and production team gives me hope.
    I hope that you end up enjoying the show. I might have to review it, at some point, but I fear my opinion is already a foregone conclusion. If I detect even the slightest bit of scripting/pretense, I will automatically hate it.
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    DN's attempts to take on this alpha persona are pretty cringe worthy.
    Seems like he's morphing into a person that someone else wants him to be... hm...

Load Metric
    Looking forward to Druff’s radio review of this show.

Load Metric
    Posted yesterday

"As a result of an unexpected delay in finalizing post-production, Game of Gold Episode 1 will not be broadcast on GGPoker.TV until November 15.
    We apologize to everyone who was hoping to see all the action tomorrow, but promise that it will be worth the wait!"

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    I only watched the uk version. Game had way too many flaws and was rigged. So I never watched the Canadian version. But when I used to watch big brother Kmart was awesome m it and ran the house.

oh shit i didnt even know he was one of those (desperate for fame) reality show types. good lad tho.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Out early. Only watched first few mins but the production values are great.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Yes, thank you for this.

Also, I’m in love with Maria Ho and she’s there, awesome. Druff can confirm.

You and Druff have discussed how much you love Maria Ho?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Watched about 15 min so far.

One thing which immediately comes to mind is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any "villain" here. Everyone is already too friendly. Yes, there's some semi-controversial figures present, such as Charlie Carrel and Jungleman, but in an adversarial setting like this, they should have brought in some abrasive people who could stoke controversy. The closest we really have to this is Jungleman.

What is Charlie doing with his open shirt indoors? Does he think he's a sex symbol now?

I'm not a big fan of poker shows in general, but I'll try to give this a chance.

Load Metric
    Watched it super fast yesterday then again sat down and watched it with gf in the evening. I watched a lot of competitive reality TV growing up, big brother, survivor, the mole, etc. Most of the poker I watched was from ten years ago.

Initial impressions from episode 1.

Great production values at the start for introducing players and the set. Some of these reality TV shows have them living together and capturing drama. Doesn't seem they will be doing that and more so focusing on actual poker. This is good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Player selection very good. You don't want all A list players you need a good variety. I admit poker has a big problem with 30 something boring white guys. Some categories overlap but we have 4 girls I believe, 3-4 old school players, 3-5 big personalities, only around half the cast is white but still majority so doesn't feel like including diversity for the sake of it. All players seem to be professionals. I would have liked to see a stronger female player but Maria Ho will have to do. Venessa Selbst would have been great choice and added the villain Druff wanted. I don't know all the players well enough to speculate on where things will go from here. We will also have to see if there are opportunities for betrayal away from the poker table.

Format of the show. I was skeptical of team format but they did great job with it. Team clubs huge faves and also the one team without female players... I like the fact teams have to choose their team lineup and games are worth different amounts. This creates some tension and ego issues by having to rank ordering your players. They didn't spend too much time discussing but seems like golden coin distribution is good. Great that they have an actual proper format for the sng instead of a push fest.. 4 player 200bbs deep with what appears to be 30 min levels. Hand coverage great. I'd like maybe some sort of graph or better display of stack size movement given how important this is for the show and SNGs. All players are good which is nice that we don't have to watch idiots playing poker like so many reality shows. None of the players purposely acting out for attention which is good in my book. Keep in mind these are the weaker more passive players who were ranked at the bottom of the teams so I expect playing ability to only go up from here.

Random comments from my girlfriend who never watches poker.
    "Boy David Williams doesn't look like he's aged."
    "Why does that weird guy (Charlie) have his shirt open?"
    "When's the next episode?"

Overall rating for episode 1 ........B

I have not watched the video below yet

Comments

Dan Druff:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good review, betcheckbet. I agree with most of it.

Yes, I also noticed that the show lacked female star power, aside from Maria Ho. I wonder what happened there. Did other prominent females turn down this opportunity? Seems kinda odd to have one known pro (Maria), one semi-known Vegas local in Kyna England, and two total Euro unknowns. I think they could have done better with this selection. Note that 3 of the 4 females were selected by their teams to be in the first round (assumed to be the weakest players), and one of the dudes even remarked that "this isn't a good look". I agree.

Josh Arieh is friends with Negreanu, so it figured he'd be on the show (though he's also very accomplished, especially recently).

I wonder if Arieh in turn got David Williams on, as those two were both in the top 3 in the 2004 WSOP Main Event.

Jason Koon and Fedor Holz are GG pros, so it's obvious why they're on the show.

The program did hold my interest for the entire 50 or so minutes, so that's a good sign. I usually don't like these poker shows. I felt the production quality was very good, and the set was well done.

Anyway, it's off to a fairly good start. I'll keep watching. Still would be better with one or more villains, though.

Load Metric
    It was all pretty good for about the first half of it…but then unfortunately you can’t get around the poker portion of a poker reality show. Sit N Goes don’t make great viewing. I see what they did by really trying to make it about the reactions of the teams talking shit in the back.

But just taking some hands and trying to add an element of suspense to them by drawing them out just doesn’t do it for me. Who is up and who is down? What are the blinds? It would hold my interest more if I had some semblance of how the Sit N Go is progressing rather than a few hands in isolation.

Does anyone even remember the cliff hanger? Because I forgot it. I still will keep watching and holding my interest is probably a bit tougher than than average viewer. My feeling is if you are going to show Sit N Goes I understand you have to be creative to make them suspenseful. But let’s have some idea of the actual flow of play.

The casting is missing a villain and also a dynamic personality. To be fair, there really aren’t many of them left in this age of poker. I agree a strong personality like Selbst would help put. Josh maybe 15 years ago was a real shit stirrer. I think the cast is a bit too polished, image conscious and/or reserved. Should have cast Big Huni.

I didn’t watch Jesse Martin win Big Brother Canada but apparently (according to him lol) he was polarizing when he won. I think the casting was GG pros and very much depended on connections and friendships. Not really what would make great reality TV.

That all being said, the bar for poker shows is so low that is why seemingly everyone is collectively jizzing their shorts over this. I think I really need to see another episode to see if this was just a strong pilot or if they can keep my attention.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    It was all pretty good for about the first half of it…but then unfortunately you can’t get around the poker portion of a poker reality show. Sit N Goes don’t make great viewing. I see what they did by really trying to make it about the reactions of the teams talking shit in the back.

But just taking some hands and trying to add an element of suspense to them by drawing them out just doesn’t do it for me. Who is up and who is down? What are the blinds? It would hold my interest more if I had some semblance of how the Sit N Go is progressing rather than a few hands in isolation.

Does anyone even remember the cliff hanger? Because I forgot it. I still will keep watching and holding my interest is probably a bit tougher than than average viewer. My feeling is if you are going to show Sit N Goes I understand you have to be creative to make them suspenseful. But let’s have some idea of the actual flow of play.

The casting is missing a villain and also a dynamic personality. To be fair, there really aren’t many of them left in this age of poker. I agree a strong personality like Selbst would help put. Josh maybe 15 years ago was a real shit stirrer. I think the cast is a bit too polished, image conscious and/or reserved. Should have cast Big Huni.

I didn’t watch Jesse Martin win Big Brother Canada but apparently (according to him lol) he was polarizing when he won. I think the casting was GG pros and very much depended on connections and friendships. Not really what would make great reality TV.

That all being said, the bar for poker shows is so low that is why seemingly everyone is collectively jizzing their shorts over this. I think I really need to see another episode to see if this was just a strong pilot or if they can keep my attention.
    We definitely have different takes on this. This is 100% memory from a few days ago but I felt stack sizes and blinds were always shown throughout the whole thing. Everyone started with 2 million chips so very easy to calculate where people were. They started with 10k bb plus antes and looked like 30 min levels from clock in background. I was watching on 4k TV so maybe different in browser but I could always see blinds in bottom right. Now they could have done a much better job of explaining structure to those who couldn't pick up on it. Final hand if I remember correctly was Ukrainian who had over 3 million raising UTG/CO to 110k (assuming 40k blinds) , Kyna going all in on button for 800k. BB Indian girl nearly snap folding AQ. This hand stands out to me as I don't know what ICM solvers would say but with big stack to act it's a lot harder to call AQ even 4 handed. Then Ukrainian calls the all in with AK. To me its a very memorable hand on par with one of the first one's where Kyna rivers her straight but under bets.

As said though I'd like more recaps on overall stack sizes rather than having to go by memory and also payouts for finishing. Hoping they will do this more in later games as previous results will impact that games strategy.

In defense of Maria Ho I for got to mention I watched her on the amazing race back in the day so she definitely has a good resume to be on here outside of her poker.

As for Kevin Martin on bigbrother I didn't see him as polarizing but he did play a cutthroat game. Keep in mind a lot of viewers and players are literal idiots who can't seem to grasp basic concepts.

Bonus footage below below of how stupid Canadian bigbrother players can be. The vote BTW below resulted in 4-3 win for Jillian (Topaz was Gary's best friend int he house and cost him 100k)

Comments

JeffDime: Very fair take. It obviously held your attention much better than mine.

Load Metric
    Episode 2 out a give it B+. Comments below without spoilers.

Entire episode poker and no filler which I'm happy with.

Team commentary is amazing. In an age where nearly all top poker players are very stoic it's a great contrast to see teams reacting so emotionally in the background. The reactions seem very genuine and in my opinion this is better than having standard announcers or a host. Gf made great suggestion that it can be hard to link players to teams. Would be nice if green rooms were color coded by team or something instead of all looking the same.

As mentioned before would be nice for better chip count displays. They seemed to emphasize gold chips more this episode.

Game structure. I was a little off for blind structure as they start at 10/20k so 100bbs. The SNGs last for about 4 hours at which time the blinds hit 200k and its largely a pushfest. I know some people wanted it deeper but this seems fine to me. 4 hour games (30 mins of which is broadcast) allows for two SNGs to be filmed each day. This is apparent as in game 3 everyone wearing different clothes.

Using a gold chip for time extension seems like bad idea as your team permanently loses it. Players haven't said anything but they seem to get that from their lack of use. Although it may make more sense in game 3/4 when you can calculate much better.

I don't follow Jungleman much so I don't know his personality but it was hilarious seeing him look so miserable with his female partners running around and screaming. Wondering if jetlag, hungover, or is he always like that?

Also I can't stand Charlie Carrel as he gives me major Russel Brand vibes. I guess he is closest thing to a villain.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Maria shouldn’t have fucked with her face.

Thread Information