Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *** OFFICIAL VEGAS F1 BODY COUNT CONTEST THREAD ***

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    what a dumb "sport." imagine paying for this. i'd rather watch two mules fighting over a turnip.
    I'd actually watch the mules. That sounds kinda fun.

I thought the concept of an F1 race on the streets of the strip was a moderately cool concept, but not nearly worth the high price tag, or the massive disruption to the city for most of 2023.

Lots of things were miscalculated here:

1) Fan interest to the point of paying for super expensive tickets and (most of the way) ridiculously overpriced hotel rooms

2) The willingness of residents to put up with months of massive inconvenience just to enable this event, where the average Vegas resident will see zero benefit

3) The possible meaninglessness of the race if one racer has already been dominant all season

4) The relative lack of general F1 interest from the US population (compare this to the 2024 Vegas Super Bowl, which should be a huge deal)

Laughably, while Vegas was expected to be jammed with tourists, it's a ghost town. The event was sparsely attended so far, and everyone else stayed away this weekend, either choked by high hotel prices (only lowered near the end), and the perceived/real difficulty in getting around the strip.

Hotels are sitting at low occupancy, restaurants are empty, and the grandstands are somewhat empty as well.

And then there's the drain cover fail on top of it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I was in Chicago this summer to pick up a kid from camp on the weekend of the F1 race. Big warnings about traffic and crowds. Not so much. No interest in going to race, btw.

Had a fail with hotel, but was able to rebook in a hilton within a block of the course (by the Bean) same night. It was kind of a dump, but hotels were not sold out. Saturday I ran down there and checked things out. Kind of cool.

Then the heavens opened up- we drove home as planned and heard the race was cancelled because of the rain. Either cancelled or cut short or something.

Comments

JeffDime: Nascar not F1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    what a dumb "sport." imagine paying for this. i'd rather watch two mules fighting over a turnip.
    I'd actually watch the mules. That sounds kinda fun.

I thought the concept of an F1 race on the streets of the strip was a moderately cool concept, but not nearly worth the high price tag, or the massive disruption to the city for most of 2023.

Lots of things were miscalculated here:

1) Fan interest to the point of paying for super expensive tickets and (most of the way) ridiculously overpriced hotel rooms

2) The willingness of residents to put up with months of massive inconvenience just to enable this event, where the average Vegas resident will see zero benefit

3) The possible meaninglessness of the race if one racer has already been dominant all season

4) The relative lack of general F1 interest from the US population (compare this to the 2024 Vegas Super Bowl, which should be a huge deal)

Laughably, while Vegas was expected to be jammed with tourists, it's a ghost town. The event was sparsely attended so far, and everyone else stayed away this weekend, either choked by high hotel prices (only lowered near the end), and the perceived/real difficulty in getting around the strip.

Hotels are sitting at low occupancy, restaurants are empty, and the grandstands are somewhat empty as well.

And then there's the drain cover fail on top of it.

Expensive hotel rooms is an understatement. Even if I had hundreds of millions in the bank, what Wesley is doing is asinine 400K a night. I dont give a fuck who you are, I think even a Saudi Royal family member would have more sense then this potentially. Let a lone a guy who isnt a billionaire such as Wesley. https://www.pokernews.com/news/2023/...prix-44918.htm

Load Metric
    I've completely and totally missed the boat on F1.

I've never seen a moment of a race, any of you cucks watch it?

People I know and respect swear by it up and down but I've never cared at all about cars.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    I've completely and totally missed the boat on F1.

I've never seen a moment of a race, any of you cucks watch it?

People I know and respect swear by it up and down but I've never cared at all about cars.
    We had a couple of cookouts over the summer with assorted younger millenials and older Z’s. The subject of F1 would come up when the sports talk started. I was struck by how many young women love it.

Couples wake up like 4am on the weekend for European races and make a whole thing of it. It’s a subculture that I was completely unaware of.

No question it all circles back to the Netflix Drive to Survive. I saw much of it too and found it interesting but I never took the next step and watched a race myself. I waste too much time on sports as it is.

I may tune in to Vegas just for the Schadenfreude and conversation at holiday parties.

I remember the NASCAR craze in the 90’s (I think it was). Guys spending stupid money on collectibles. Adults bought large Matchbox cars, hats, leather jackets and all kinds of memorabilia. I was completely unable to fake enthusiasm when I went over someone’s house and saw these collections.

Comments

Tellafriend: I was completely unable to fake enthusiasm when I went over someone’s house and saw these collections.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm sitting at home in LA as I type this.

I am still lightly considering jumping into the car tomorrow morning and seeing this stupid race, just for the novelty and because everything will be free for me except the car expenses.

Am I crazy?

Comments

JeffDime: Go

Load Metric
    I'm sitting at home in LA as I type this.

I am still lightly considering jumping into the car tomorrow morning and seeing this stupid race, just for the novelty and because everything will be free for me except the car expenses.

Am I crazy?
    My entire life people have insisted I go to Montreal for that F1. It’s supposed to be a tremendous take. The whole vibe is supposed to be really special. I have to commit just once.

Montreal is a little classier than Vegas but I’d do it just for the “one time”. For the kid. For you, another experience. Another story.

Sounds like you’ll have the run of the place.

Comments

country978: do it for the kid!!!

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Verstappen looks like a disruptive mofo and we like that. Might poke around and see if he’s worthy.

Oddly, the Vegas fail might attract eyeballs. I personally wouldn’t think about F1 otherwise.

3rd level shit

Load Metric
    theres a really good documentary out there waiting to be made re the bleeding edge of human discipline/performance and technology thats the core of f1 compared to the sloppy fuckup wing and a prayer soul of everything vegas.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    LOL.

They have CSC Security/Event staff harassing people on public sidewalks.

I would purposely not move along if someone was yelling at me like this.

https://twitter.com/sfb45/status/1725794766485442889

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    LOL.

They have CSC Security/Event staff harassing people on public sidewalks.

I would purposely not move along if someone was yelling at me like this.

https://twitter.com/sfb45/status/1725794766485442889

The guy who took this video is a PFA Radio listener. But yeah, dumb.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I took Benjamin to this tonight. I had free tickets, so why not.

One bad crash early, but the driver was ok.

Load Metric

That’s great. I expect a right proper trip report sometime soon from the both of you.

I woke up around the 38th lap with Verstappen in 5th place. Of course he ends up winning. As I watched the live odds it was clear this was to be expected.

If you aren’t wagering this would be pretty dull. In fact, I found it somewhat enjoyable and would watch another.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Driving back from Vegas on Sunday is a

unless you leave before 9:30am or after 8pm

Sometimes you can get around it by going through Searchlight. But that adds like 45 min to your drive.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

That’s great. I expect a right proper trip report sometime soon from the both of you.

I woke up around the 38th lap with Verstappen in 5th place. Of course he ends up winning. As I watched the live odds it was clear this was to be expected.

If you aren’t wagering this would be pretty dull. In fact, I found it somewhat enjoyable and would watch another.
    We were hoping someone else would win, but when Max started gaining on them, it was just a matter of time.

At the end, the only drama was who would get 2nd. 4th was way behind at that point.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Took Benjamin tonight to see the MSG Sphere -- well, the outside of it.

One pretty good place to view it is on floor 7, section 7A, of the Harrah's parking lot (the corner of the roof).

Cool to see fairly up close, but the thing was 100% advertisements tonight!

Most were companies sponsoring F1, so perhaps that's why. But if this thing is gonna run ads most of the time, that really subtracts from its charm.

Of the ads, there was one cool one (Alfa Romeo), where a bug was trying to "break through" the sphere, and then it shattered. Then it was followed up by a 3D rendering of a race car "in" the sphere. But most of the other commercials weren't that interesting.

Thread Information