Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL VEGAS F1 BODY COUNT CONTEST THREAD ***

Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL VEGAS F1 BODY COUNT CONTEST THREAD ***

has to be fatalities directly linked to a F1 related event/accident.

yes, terrorist attacks and mass shootings in the crowd absolutely count.

fentanyl overdoses are excluded. unless someone crop dusts the crowd with fentanyl.

im in for lucky 13.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    has to be fatalities directly linked to a F1 related event/accident.

yes, terrorist attacks and mass shootings in the crowd absolutely count.

fentanyl overdoses are excluded. unless someone crop dusts the crowd with fentanyl.

im in for lucky 13.

Been to the vegas strip twice over the past few months including 3 weeks ago. Took my dad to Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris which (usually) overlooks the Bellagio fountains, now that stupid structure they put up for billionaires to watch the race.

We couldn't stop talking about the bananas foster crepe or the fact that one bad accident would result in the death of at least 20 people. Its legitimately a good (and obvious) call that something really really bad could happen and that it will be some of the earths most wealthy people.

Put me down for 13.5, price as right style.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was just in Vegas last week.

Believe it or not, I have two tickets in a great area of the stands waiting for me, plus a free hotel room, and I'm probably just gonna let it go and stay in LA, because the whole thing is a tremendous shitshow, and I'm not an F1 fan anyway. At first I tried to sell it and got some interested buyers, but even that's too much of a hassle at this point.

I did consider whether there would be any accidents which would kill/injure people in the stands, or if there might be a terrorist attack.

I do not believe a terrorist attack will occur. Not only is it very difficult (or impossible) to get a vehicle into the area, but police are on high alert for such a thing. These attacks almost always use the element of surprise, and rarely occur when you'd expect them. Yes, someone could go Stephen Paddock and fire from a hotel window, but honestly they could wait 7 more weeks and get a much higher body count on New Years.

Could there be a death in the stands? Probably not, as these are elevated -- at least the ones I saw on LV Blvd. I meant to take a picture of it, but I forgot.

There is still an outside chance I decide to drive there on Thursday morning (the race doesn't start 'til 10pm, in order to pacify the Euros), grab the tickets, find if anyone local in Vegas feels like going with me, and watch it. I just think I'll get bored after the novelty wears off after 10 minutes or so... and then what?

Load Metric
    Name:  0EC60F24-A3EC-458E-B372-030B768D00E4.jpeg
Views: 334
Size:  3.66 MB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    With that said, the idiotic organizers didn't realize that Vegas is cold in November at night.

Seriously.

There's an incorrect perception that Vegas is warm/hot year round, like Miami.

In reality, Vegas gets sporadic snowfall at times in the winter, and the nights start getting cool in late October. Fortunately, the forecasted rain for Thursday fell apart. Vegas can also get late fall rain, sometimes getting the aftermath of LA storms which frequent that area between mid-November and mid-March. The forecast for the race days now predict no rain, and highs in the low 70s, and lows in the low 50s. That's about as good as it gets for mid-November in Vegas.

Los Angeles will be getting rain on and off from Wednesday through Saturday, but apparently it won't make it to Vegas.

Still, this will be the coldest F1 race of the year, likely being around 55 degrees when they start on Thursday night.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    With that said, the idiotic organizers didn't realize that Vegas is cold in November at night.

Seriously.

In reality, Vegas gets sporadic snowfall at times in the winter, and the nights start getting cool in late October. Fortunately, the forecasted rain for Thursday fell apart. Vegas can also get late fall rain, sometimes getting the aftermath of LA storms which frequent that area between mid-November and mid-March. The forecast for the race days now predict no rain, and highs in the low 70s, and lows in the low 50s. That's about as good as it gets for mid-November in Vegas.

Los Angeles will be getting rain on and off from Wednesday through Saturday, but apparently it won't make it to Vegas.

Still, this will be the coldest F1 race of the year, likely being around 55 degrees when they start on Thursday night.
    The race is on Saturday

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Seriously.

The race is on Saturday
    Yeah I see now, I guess the practice rounds start Thursday night.

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2023/Las_Vegas.html

Load Metric
    So, does this count? I mean, no race, no death:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  290.3 KB

Comments

Pablo: COUNT IT!!!

sonatine: absolutely, put it on the board

JeffDime:

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I’ve been here since Friday, flying out today. Avoid area at all costs.

Uber drivers & cabbies are pissed. Las Vegas Blvd & all crossroads closed nightly from 5pm to 4am starting tomorrow.

Wife and I were discussing how poor the security fencing looked, one bad wreck or a tire into the crowd will result in deaths.

Load Metric
    And another reason to not go is a ton of people plan to call out. Its going to be imposable to get in and out of there

Load Metric
    https://twitter.com/Planet_F1/status/1723961331479617570

Max Verstappen F1 best driver probably isn't into Las Vegas

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    https://twitter.com/Planet_F1/status/1723961331479617570

Max Verstappen F1 best driver probably isn't into Las Vegas

Max is having the most dominant year in the history of F1. He wrapped up the championship like 4 races ago. He is the fastest guy, in the fastest car, with a dominant team. He doesn’t like anything new because that adds variance. New circuit allows the slower teams to maybe figure something out as far as pit/tire strategy. More chances of making a mistake driving on a new circuit or a mechanical failure of some sort.

Max doesn’t even like sprint weekends because he just wants his three free practices, qualifying & then to go blow everyone’s doors off at the Grand Prix. He even excluded himself from the Drive To Survive ongoing F1 documentary on Netflix. I get where he’s coming from to a point, but dude has his third championship in a row wrapped up regardless. Maybe he could loosen up a little bit. But I get that he just wants to protect his dominance.

But it’s not really about Vegas for him imo. He just wants things to stay as status quo as possible. Not to say this can’t be a total shit show. I think they just should have made a great track out in the Desert. The Drivers would like thst much more than a street circuit. Which unless ingrained into the culture of the destination like the Monaco Grand Prix, is going to be a gigantic pain in the ass in most cities.

* FW - I don’t think he will lose without something going wrong. But I’ll probably put a few bucks on Lando Norris. McLaren trending up and I think Lando is the second best driver on the grid currently and will probably be the best in a year or two.

Comments

Forum Wars: I guess he's just doing what is best for him...I'm not a big bettor, but perhaps, yeah, this "newness" is good for the underdogs in the odds...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    I’ve been here since Friday, flying out today. Avoid area at all costs.

Uber drivers & cabbies are pissed. Las Vegas Blvd & all crossroads closed nightly from 5pm to 4am starting tomorrow.

Wife and I were discussing how poor the security fencing looked, one bad wreck or a tire into the crowd will result in deaths.
    You convinced me.

What little desire I had to possibly pop in during the weekend has evaporated. I feel it will be a giant shitshow.

I'll call later today and cancel everything.

Load Metric
    Red Flag less than 10 minutes into the first free practice. Announcers saying may be bump on the track that messed up the Ferrari Not a great start.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1725373533469983200

Load Metric
    Session will not be resumed. “Track Issue”. Awful start. It’s seems to be a defect on a manhole cover that was actually on the strip portion of the track. Which was open to traffic until 7 PM today. So obviously much less time to inspect. Ferrari has significant damage and apparently an Alpine was also damaged to a lesser extent by the same issue.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Boy am I happy I didn't go.

What a fail.

That statement from F1 is weird. What do they mean that people's tickets and food options will be honored while they are reviewing it?

Are they looking for a pat on the back that they are doing people a favor by not invalidating their expensive November 16 tickets and "letting" people stay around ordering their $25 beers and overpriced food?

I think this is a fancy way of saying, "No refunds, and no getting in tomorrow for free!"

Load Metric
    Just woke up and saw they were wrapping up free practice 2 at 4 AM PT. No fans were allowed in the stands because of the 4 hour long delay. They just shut the whole hospitality area down.

Anyone who gives a shit here is Peter Windsor giving a 12 minute breakdown of the shit show. He makes great F1 videos.

Load Metric
    what a dumb "sport." imagine paying for this. i'd rather watch two mules fighting over a turnip.

Thread Information