Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend Bob Barker dead at 99

Load Metric

Legend Bob Barker dead at 99

What a run. Favorite Price is Right segment ever:

Platinum
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    One more and he'd have received $1,000 and the opportunity to spin again.

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Load Metric
    Surprised to see Bob had no kids. I would have assumed he would have pulled a Tony Randall (Odd Couple fame) who had kids for the first time in his 70s for the sheer fact he wanted to give his fortune to a bloodline versus the state of CA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Bob said years ago, for years everyone that came up to him did not ask him about Price is Right, but rather that scene with Adam Sandler.

Load Metric
    I grew up with this nigga on my sick days RIP Bob you sexual harasser

GOAT Price is right clip

Comments

big dick: the good old days

Load Metric
    Two requisites on this site for when this day came:

AND OF COURSE:

Load Metric
    I'm actually depressed about Bob dying. He was around forever. Another gem, closest modern day showcase, there was one back in the 70s I believe was closer. Guy could sell it to everyone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Surprised to see Bob had no kids. I would have assumed he would have pulled a Tony Randall (Odd Couple fame) who had kids for the first time in his 70s for the sheer fact he wanted to give his fortune to a bloodline versus the state of CA.
    If I were to take a guess I don’t know how much Cali or the Feds are getting from his estate. Given his activism with animals there’s a good chance he set up a trust and most if not all goes to places like the ASPCA, Humane Society and others.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    If I were to take a guess I don’t know how much Cali or the Feds are getting from his estate. Given his activism with animals there’s a good chance he set up a trust and most if not all goes to places like the ASPCA, Humane Society and others.
    Yeah, I guess. I might fly out there to see what is up. I am a little concerned what is going on with his estate.

Load Metric
    Bet it was AIDS

Comments

tigerpiper:
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Bet it was AIDS
    Just another horrible take from a horrible person.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Yeah, I guess. I might fly out there to see what is up. I am a little concerned what is going on with his estate.

better double check the expiration date on that Florida passport before your fake flight

Load Metric
    Name:  IMG_1302.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  87.9 KB

Comments

tyde: amazing

Load Metric
    Many dogs and cats whose genitals were at risk from Bob Barker’s continual campaigning for them to be spayed or neutered are probably sighing in relief at this development.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I watched this the most of any game show as a kid, by a wide margin. I was also partial to "The Joker's Wild", but still watched more Price is Right.

The two best known Price is Right girls were Dian Parkinson and Janice Pennington. Parkinson was there from 1975 to 1993, and Pennington was there from 1972 to 2000. I probably started watching the show around 1976, so to me it seemed these two women were always there.

There was controversy involving both women.

Parkinson sued Barker shortly after she left the show, alleging sexual harassment. The early 1990s were generally the dawn of sexual harassment lawsuits, as the term and concept had been popularized by the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas controversy in 1991.

Interestingly, Barker admitted that he had "engaged in some hanky panky" (lol old men) with Parkinson from 1989-1991. The two were 21 years apart in age, with Barker born in 1923 and Parkinson born in 1944. Parkinson dropped the suit in 1995 claiming it was harming her emotional health. This makes me think that perhaps Barker was correct, and this was more a consensual relationship gone bad. Parkinson claimed Barker had forced her into a sexual relationship with him in order to keep her job. Both parties agreed that this did occur in the 1989-1991 range, which would somewhat back Barker's contention that it was consensual and not under any pressure. She started working at Price is Right in 1974, at age 30. Are we to believe that Barker let 15 years go by, never once sexually harassing her, and suddenly decided to pressure her into a sexual relationship when she was 45?

Parkinson left the show voluntarily in 1993, prior to the lawsuit. She claimed she was pursuing other interests, but many reported frequent angry feuds between Parkinson and fellow long term show model Jan Pennington. Some also recalled that she was mad at Barker for not approving of her appearing nude in Playboy that year.

I will say that, to my knowledge, Parkinson was the only one of the girls on the show to accuse Barker of sexual harassment.

There were other controversies. In 1995, another model, Holly Hallstrom, sued the show because she was allegedly fired for gaining a little weight. When the case went to trial, reportedly Pennington and another show model, Kathleen Bradley, would not take the stand. Barker and the show wanted the two women to defend them against Hallstrom's allegations, but they refused to get involved. This resulted in the sudden firings of Bradley and Pennington, even though Pennington had been with the show for 28 years, and was beloved by fans. I do believe that this was a form of retaliation by Barker and the show, and was shitty to do. Interestingly, Pennington was 58 at the time of her firing, yet it is NOT believed she was fired due to her age. It's funny that showrunners and Barker were cool with having a model near 60, but had an issue with a young model who had gained a little weight!

The Hallstrom case was settled out of court.

There was another case in the 2000s regarding "racism" which mostly looked like bullshit to me. However, given that Barker was nearly 85, he was pushed out in 2007, as the show had grown tired of the repeated lawsuits and scandals revolving around him over the prior 15 years. Barker cited that he was leaving the show "before I'm too old".

Overall, I don't think Barker was a bad guy. He was known to be stubborn and temperamental, but not to an extreme. I don't believe he was a Harvey Weinstein by any means. I think if he were a big sexual harasser, we would have heard a ton of stories eventually leak out about him (especially in the MeToo years), but it seems like only Parkinson made this allegation, and that one seems questionable. Given that he was part of Old Hollywood, it's actually impressive that he was NOT tying sex to these modeling jobs, as this sort of thing was extremely common at the time.

Just to show that the show's controversies weren't necessarily tied to Barker, they have faced similar lawsuits of different kinds since he left. The problem is that Hollywood is a stressful and tough environment to work in, and people who get fired or burnt out will sometimes lash out with frivolous suits. They feel justified to do so because indeed there are a lot of demanding and harsh bosses in that scene, and I can imagine it probably is quite stressful.

Comments

big dick: my 2 favs as well

Load Metric
    Took a while to find it, buried. But here it is the closest 2X showcase winner. You twitter geeks need to repost it.

Load Metric
    If one model had a 20 year run and the other a 30 year run - well, that hardly sounds like harassment. I can hardly believe those numbers.

Were they really “models” as you describe or were they integral personalities in the show? I don’t doubt they were hired for their looks.

I’m still wrapping my head around the Vanna White phenomenon. Now you’re telling me Vanna’s run wasn’t unprecedented after all.

I never really watched the show. I had no idea. I heard the harassment talk but I gotta imagine Barker actually looked out for them.

These two women are a good bit of show biz trivia.

Load Metric
    theres some goat stat like bob barker was alive for 477 of babe ruths home runs

legeeeeeeeeeend

Comments

Sanlmar: I may now have a hernia.

Load Metric
    obviously stat just ended but as of fucking last week it was a still a thing thank you

Thread Information