Thread: Post when you can start vividly remembering your life

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Post when you can start vividly remembering your life

I have a few faint memories from 2 and 3, but my real memories start from when I was 4.

Among the things I remember from 1976, when I was 4 years old:

- Playing my first video game ever (Sea Wolf) with my father in an Italian restaurant

- Watching "King Kong" in the theater

- Getting a penny with a small hole in it from my grandfather, while we were sitting together in the car. He went back to New York shortly after this, and died unexpectedly a few months later.

- Some talk about the bicentennial

- Going to my first Dodgers game, seeing them play the Montreal Expos

- Learning how to do long division (sick kiddy brag obv, but I really do remember this)

Load Metric
    you sure you've never ever had food poisoning given how good your memory is? c'mon, you must have had the runs at some point in your life...

Banned
    Load Metric
    My earliest memory is of my parents boasting to their friends, pointing at signs and having me read them aloud. Apparently I was some sort of Wunderkind. That didn't really carry over much into adulthood.

EDIT: I don't know what age I was at the time. I suppose 3 or 4.
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 09-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Load Metric
    I can only say 4 for sure since that was the earliest time I can connect a memory with my age.

Doctors say early experiences play a big role in your personality as an adult. Kind of hard to believe given you have the self awareness of a dog the first few years of your life.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    I can only say 4 for sure since that was the earliest time I can connect a memory with my age.

Doctors say early experiences play a big role in your personality as an adult. Kind of hard to believe given you have the self awareness of a dog the first few years of your life.
    It is said that dogs are about equivalent in intelligence to the average 2-year-old.

So the funny thing is that taking dog and a human born at the same time, the dog will be way smarter a year later.

Silver
    Load Metric
    I painted the side of my house with blue paint. I was like 5. My father screeched his buick in the driveway screaming. My brother and Mom came out shocked at the paint. LOL.

Load Metric
    I recall a young woman pointing at a cloud in a photograph and telling me it was God. It was another young couple who my parents went to school with, but my father was amazed I could remember it because it was sometime in 1972, so I was either two or three. He knew because the couple had moved away right before he started working at his company, and the guy had gotten him the job and he started in November '72.

I always recalled the memory, but I was in my 30's before I asked the obvious to my father after thinking about it. The answer was, " of course we were high." It had never dawned on me because I had never witnessed them smoking weed during my time growing up(they did occasionally, but not in front of me), but I was at an age where they thought I wouldn't know. And they were correct in that it took me over 30 years to figure it out. I can recall a few other things that all involve pain, like splitting my head on a pool, etc., but the first memories I can recall with context were at 4 also.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I have a few faint memories from 2 and 3, but my real memories start from when I was 4.

Among the things I remember from 1976, when I was 4 years old:

- Playing my first video game ever (Sea Wolf) with my father in an Italian restaurant

- Watching "King Kong" in the theater

- Getting a penny with a small hole in it from my grandfather, while we were sitting together in the car. He went back to New York shortly after this, and died unexpectedly a few months later.

- Some talk about the bicentennial

- Going to my first Dodgers game, seeing them play the Montreal Expos

- Learning how to do long division (sick kiddy brag obv, but I really do remember this)
    I just read a book about this kind of thing: Brain Rules by John Medina. So two comments:

#1 -- it's the repititon that ingrains these memories, so it may be something you recalled constantly throughout your life keeping the memory "fresh"
    #2 -- your brain can actually twist memories so you think something happened when it happened differently or not at all
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    The first vivid memory I have was playing with a glass jar in the bathtub while supervised by my dad. Not sure why I had a glass jar but I remember I kept filling it up and pouring it out. I was 2.

The next vivid memory I have (albeit less vivid) was when I met my newborn sister. I was 2 and a half.

Load Metric
    First memory was around the age of 5/6, playing catch with my father

cant remember much of anything from 6-10

my brain has erased that shit and used the storage space for a bunch of meaningless shit like Cliff Klaven.

Load Metric
    I remember vividly being in my crib and dancing to wrif radio. I remember the tub toy I had that squirted water from a gun like contraption, I had a fuzzy wuzzy bear that was a piece of soap that grew 'hair' but i'm sure now that it was fungus. I remember preschool and I remember learning the alphabet before I ever got to preschool. Pretty clear since 2-2 1/2 I guess.

Thread Information