Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapses after making tackle during Monday Night Football, in critical condition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Was pretty sure my book was going to hold up the $ until the game completed on whichever day, but instead they kicked the $ back. This benefits me because I had the Bills, who were behind by 4 and the Bengals had the ball midfield, but I'm just surprised. This is a tragedy which was very depressing to watch and think about, and this is not the way I'd want out of the bet, but just wanted to put it out there for discussion as well.

I had thought that any suspended game would simply have the bet held until it completes? Anyone seen the bet cancelled before in a suspended game?

Comments

Pickleball: BOL had a prop bet that 1. The game will not be played +135. Played tomorrow by 12:00am. +200. Played by Jan 4 - 115. This game would most likely determine the top seed for the AFC. Bills need to play the game or Chiefs most likely would be top seed.

Load Metric
    the longer play is suspended, the less likely the player was saved.

i recall seeing a similar incident, it was at Saugus Speedway, a 1/3 mile oval track north of Los Angeles...it happened back in the 70's...a racecar jumped the retaining wall in the 3rd turn at 30mph then hit a track worker positioned there...the race was stopped immediately, but no announcement was made to the crowd of 3,500 who waited over 30 minutes for the race to resume. Finally, the track announcer said there would be no more racing that night...no word was given to the crowd about the worker---but it seemed obvious at that time it was unlikely the worker lived...per the newspaper the following day the worked died at the track.

in the NFL the one player who died during play was Detroit Lions wide receiver Chuck Hughes who had a heart attack in a game during 1971...the incident happened in the 4th quarter...the game was completed with the Lions losing.
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 01-02-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Had Bengals +8.5 as the 2nd leg of a teaser where the first game already hit. Obviously was in great shape. I assume even if they continue the game from the same point in a couple days, bet will be voided. Sigh.

On a side note, logistically this is going to be a nightmare. Because of all the playoff seeding implications for not just these 2 teams, but also the Patriots and Ravens (who these teams play next week), it isn't going to be as simple as playing this game on Wednesday and then playing the final weeks games on Monday night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Start at 0:59 mark to see the play.

Very weird. Not a hard hit, and nobody was on top of Damar. His collapse and likely heart problem was probably unrelated to the danger of playing NFL football, but I'm guessing this play was more of the catalyst to bringing on an existing (but previously unknown) health issue to cause him harm.

Given that this was not from a hard hit or dogpile, I'm guessing that NFL rules will not change going forward, though it will reignite the conversation regarding danger NFL players face regardless.

Hopefully he ends up okay.
    Undiagnosed cardiac abnormality would be my guess. Yes some may suggest it was a clot shot issue. Maybe it was maybe it wasn’t. They’ll never tell us if it was but there are a huge amount of cases of cardiomyopathy tied to MRNA shots and there’s been a couple Euro soccer guys who died also under questionable situations of guys totally healthy. But yeah im Doubting this was an injury or hit on the field caused. A chest trauma induced cardiac arrest usually is immediate and everything I’ve seen was he coded as they were putting him in the ambo not intially.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Start at 0:59 mark to see the play.

Very weird. Not a hard hit, and nobody was on top of Damar. His collapse and likely heart problem was probably unrelated to the danger of playing NFL football, but I'm guessing this play was more of the catalyst to bringing on an existing (but previously unknown) health issue to cause him harm.

Given that this was not from a hard hit or dogpile, I'm guessing that NFL rules will not change going forward, though it will reignite the conversation regarding danger NFL players face regardless.

Hopefully he ends up okay.
    Undiagnosed cardiac abnormality would be my guess. Yes some may suggest it was a clot shot issue. Maybe it was maybe it wasn’t. They’ll never tell us if it was but there are a huge amount of cases of cardiomyopathy tied to MRNA shots and there’s been a couple Euro soccer guys who died also under questionable situations of guys totally healthy. But yeah im Doubting this was an injury or hit on the field caused. A chest trauma induced cardiac arrest usually is immediate and everything I’ve seen was he coded as they were putting him in the ambo not intially.
    What does coded mean?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Was pretty sure my book was going to hold up the $ until the game completed on whichever day, but instead they kicked the $ back. This benefits me because I had the Bills, who were behind by 4 and the Bengals had the ball midfield, but I'm just surprised. This is a tragedy which was very depressing to watch and think about, and this is not the way I'd want out of the bet, but just wanted to put it out there for discussion as well.

I had thought that any suspended game would simply have the bet held until it completes? Anyone seen the bet cancelled before in a suspended game?
    As a general rule the fine print says the game must be completed the day it is scheduled or bet is voided.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I mean this is nothing short of a miracle. He probably had this episode at the best possible spot in the world surrounded by the best doctors. Almost certainly saved his life is he keeps progressing.

https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1610118356446724096

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Guy had a cardiac arrest and administered CPR and an AED. They won’t know his condition for days
    He is now intubated and in critical condition.

I would be stunned if he makes it at this point. He went far too long without oxygen to his brain.

Such an absolute tragedy.
    This isn't true. If he was in SCA and didn't suffer some sort of cervical stroke from spinal trauma, immediate CPR would have been at least somewhat effective at moving oxygenated blood to the brain until he was hopefully shocked back into a normal cardiac rhythm.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post

He is now intubated and in critical condition.

I would be stunned if he makes it at this point. He went far too long without oxygen to his brain.

Such an absolute tragedy.
    This isn't true. If he was in SCA and didn't suffer some sort of cervical stroke from spinal trauma, immediate CPR would have been at least somewhat effective at moving oxygenated blood to the brain until he was hopefully shocked back into a normal cardiac rhythm.
    OK Doc I'm not one and never claimed to be.

Load Metric

What does coded mean?
    Coded means cardiac arrest. Reference to when they call code blue in the hospital. Cardiac arrests essentially are run kinda like a computer program algorithm in reality. Ya follow steps down a flowchart basically. Intubating the patient is important if possible to secure the airway but it’s pump and blow push drugs check for shockable rhythm every 2 mins roughly.

Load Metric
    You can already feel the anger towards Goodell here. Think the pressure for him to resign is going to get it done this time. The players were told to be ready in 5 minutes after the ambulance was off the field. Then the almost 45 minutes for the league to actually postpone. Hope somehow the young man survives. I don’t know anyone who likes Goodell besides the 32 NFL owners.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    You can already feel the anger towards Goodell here. Think the pressure for him to resign is going to get it done this time. The players were told to be ready in 5 minutes after the ambulance was off the field. Then the almost 45 minutes for the league to actually postpone. Hope somehow the young man survives. I don’t know anyone who likes Goodell besides the 32 NFL owners.

How tone deaf do you have to be to not call this off immediately after the ambulance took him away? You had NFL players actually crying. Even if the fans were willing to see the game complete (most weren't), the players were clearly traumatized and did not want to play.

Taking 45 minutes to postpone this was just mind boggling.

Comments

Bilbodoggins: can't say it any better than that

Platinum
    Load Metric

What does coded mean?
    Coded means cardiac arrest. Reference to when they call code blue in the hospital. Cardiac arrests essentially are run kinda like a computer program algorithm in reality. Ya follow steps down a flowchart basically. Intubating the patient is important if possible to secure the airway but it’s pump and blow push drugs check for shockable rhythm every 2 mins roughly.
    Gotcha. How long they had to do all that is what is worrisome. It was a long time.

Load Metric
    And your last part of the last sentence is all that matters. Goodell works for the owners nobodyelse period. He is going nowhere unless they decide to end his employment with them.

Load Metric
    This is the inescapable truth surrounding Goodell and the NFL during this incident. Minutes into the injury I knew exactly how poorly it would be handled. We all did.

The two coaches pulling their players off the field (not the NFL) changed the course of events. Bills coach McDermott appeared to be first to act.

Every conversation I’ve had via text or gambling chat has shared the disgust found here. The league just thoroughly frustrates me.

I don’t watch mostly because of the rules changes. Pass interference was the most egregious. Made the game completely random in outcome. College does far better.

So yeah, I’m eager to pile on. Fuck em

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Fuck Goodell let's worry about the kid that might die.

Comments

Sanlmar: Word. I’m done

Gold
    Load Metric
    This is the inescapable truth surrounding Goodell and the NFL during this incident. Minutes into the injury I knew exactly how poorly it would be handled. We all did.

I don’t watch mostly because of the rules changes. Pass interference was the most egregious. Made the game completely random in outcome. College does far better.

So the NFL acts exactly as most people assume they would (poorly) and we are surprised/outraged? I mean, it seems like you dont watch football anymore because you disapprove of the product, so you have some room to stand. But I know exactly what the NFL is and still spend 12+ hours/week watching it, so hard for me to take any high horse here. It just is what it is.

As far as the highlighted, LOL. In the last week along 2 high-profile bowl games were in large part decided on bogus calls/no-calls.

1). The "fumble" in the Arkansas-Kansas game that started the improbably Kansas rally
    2). The 2 non-called unnecessary roughness penalties against Georgia, especially the first one agains Ginn that almost certainly cost Ohio St 4 points (and A TON of EV)

As someone who watches A LOT of college football and sees a lot of suspicious stuff quickly swept under the rug and move on, I would say College maybe has more integrity issues, but can get away with it because the spotlight isn't as bright.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

So the NFL acts exactly as most people assume they would (poorly) and we are surprised/outraged? I mean, it seems like you dont watch football anymore because you disapprove of the product, so you have some room to stand. But I know exactly what the NFL is and still spend 12+ hours/week watching it, so hard for me to take any high horse here. It just is what it is.

As far as the highlighted, LOL. In the last week along 2 high-profile bowl games were in large part decided on bogus calls/no-calls.

1). The "fumble" in the Arkansas-Kansas game that started the improbably Kansas rally
    2). The 2 non-called unnecessary roughness penalties against Georgia, especially the first one agains Ginn that almost certainly cost Ohio St 4 points (and A TON of EV)

As someone who watches A LOT of college football and sees a lot of suspicious stuff quickly swept under the rug and move on, I would say College maybe has more integrity issues, but can get away with it because the spotlight isn't as bright.
    Fair enough. I didn’t watch a single trash Bowl game. I’ve heard rumblings. I saw the end of Ohio Georgia cause it was on during the party. That game marks the beginning of College Bowls for me.

I didn’t watch any NHL 5 years ago. It now completely satisfies my appetite for pro sports. It gave me the freedom after the baseball season to treat myself with more respect and just not turn on NBA or NFL. I don’t miss either at all and I grew up in America. Easier than quitting cigarettes and healthier.

MLB is pretty close to getting cut. Sad

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This was from November 20. Very sad to see this now. Looks like his mom went to all of his games:

https://twitter.com/JennaCottrell/status/1594381556843511812

Load Metric
    NO KNEELING ON THE FIELD

Thread Information