Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super tilting ear pressure -- help!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Super tilting ear pressure -- help!!

Today something showed up out of nowhere which is really bothersome, and I'm going nuts.

I woke up from a nap with left ear pressure. I also have a mild sore throat, but no other symptoms of illness. I at first attributed it to wax, and tried to peroxide both ears. Didn't help. Last year I had pain in one of my ears, and the peroxide did the trick. Not this time. However, this one is much more pressure and basically no pain, but it's REALLY annoying. I also can't hear out of that ear.

I have tried all of the suggestions I found online:

- Taking a breath, holding my nose, and attempting to gently exhale through my nose

- Yawning

- Chewing gum

- Sucking on a piece of candy

- Screaming loudly

None of this shit worked. Ear still has a ton of pressure and won't release. Even tried nasal spray, again did not help.

It got me so frustrated that I had to take Xanax to calm down.

I am going to try to get an ENT appointment today, as I read they have tools they can use to clear up such pressure, but not sure if I can get in to one that fast, and also not sure if their tools will help.

I cannot stress how annoying this is. Has anyone else had this? What did you do to get rid of it?

Comments

devidee: Sounds like complications from the vax. Sorry bro

country978: was wondering why you're up so early. hope it resolves soon

Load Metric
    Sudafed.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Yeah

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: great stuff

tony bagadonuts:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Sudafed.
    Yes. You have a congested eustachian tube. A decongestant should work. Existing pressure is harmful only if it continues to rise.

Avoid scuba.

Load Metric
    Infected tooth?

Load Metric
    Get it irrigated.

any dr/nurse can do this and takes 2 mins. Assuming the blockage is earwax. Put tiny bit of olive or vegetable oil in ear to help loosen prior to irrigation.

Load Metric
    Are you home? Take a drive up to the mountains and see if that relieves the pressure. I suggest Hwy 33 north, then turn east towards Lockwood Valley. Mt. Pinos is almost 9000 ft. Can’t get to the top this time of year though. You’ll end up in Frazier Park. Great geological formations, because you’re literally driving through the San Andreas Fault.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Get it irrigated.

any dr/nurse can do this and takes 2 mins. Assuming the blockage is earwax. Put tiny bit of olive or vegetable oil in ear to help loosen prior to irrigation.
    100% this. Any nurse can do it. An appointment is eazy peazy

I am always amazed what comes out.

There are swimmers who get this done almost monthly. I am overdue now that I think of it. Thanks for reminder.

Load Metric
    I'm not a doctor, but i do have google. here's what I found.

Excessive pressure in the eardrum
    While experiencing popping or increased pressure in your eardrums while flying or swimming under water is completely normal, painful pressure or popping without a change in air pressure is not. A swollen throat or ear can close your Eustachian tube, which connects your middle ear to your upper throat, and prevent your eardrums from equalizing to the pressure of the air around you.

As to what to do, i have no idea. My first move would have been the peroxide. Since you've already tried that without any relief, you should tell your girlfriend that you read on Web MD that receiving bjs can help ease the pressure. As Winston Churchill once said "never let a good crisis go to waste."
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Are you home? Take a drive up to the mountains and see if that relieves the pressure. I suggest Hwy 33 north, then turn east towards Lockwood Valley. Mt. Pinos is almost 9000 ft. Can’t get to the top this time of year though. You’ll end up in Frazier Park. Great geological formations, because you’re literally driving through the San Andreas Fault.
    Been to Mt Pinos many times. Nice place, though it gets outrageously crowded on the weekends when there's new snow. Actually not a bad suggestion, though a bit far. You actually can drive to the top right now because there's almost no snow up there right now. Somehow all of the California storms this month have been barely missing Pinos.

Load Metric
    Just go to the doctor. (I realize it will cost money)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know this like the back of my hand. Irrigation attends to
    the external canal. No pressure involved. Eustachian tube connects to the middle and air exchange. No air exchange leads to pressure build up and potential infection.

Nasal decongestants now and wait or just wait. 70/30 it clears

Given the worst, a professional will attempt to correct the problem with medication. Get it?
    Last edited by limitles; 12-20-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Sudafed.

Definitely try Sudafed (pseudoephedrine), you may have to show ID. Wonder drug imo.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    i get the sinus clogged headaches, seconding sudafed which is the only medicine I ever take besides nicotine. another trick is boiling water and breathing the steam at 2 am in your whitey tighties

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Got a same-day ENT appoinrment.

There was a massive amount of wax in that ear, to where the doctor could not even see the eardrum. Using a vaccum-like machine, he got most of it out, but it was difficult to remove because of its consistency (apparently neither hard nor soft), and also because my ear canals are "circular" which is apparently unusual, and hard to clean/see.

After he was done, it felt improved but not all better. I asked if I should use the peroxide again at home and he said yes.

Problem is back. So this isn't over. Very frustrating. Now trying to schedule an appointment but their phones are messed up and they can't hear me when I call.

Load Metric
    I have tinnitus , used to it nothing dr can do about it. beeping in my ear. Have you ears washed, cleaned out might help with otataryngologist.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 12-20-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Got a same-day ENT appoinrment.

There was a massive amount of wax in that ear, to where the doctor could not even see the eardrum. Using a vaccum-like machine, he got most of it out, but it was difficult to remove because of its consistency (apparently neither hard nor soft), and also because my ear canals are "circular" which is apparently unusual, and hard to clean/see.

After he was done, it felt improved but not all better. I asked if I should use the peroxide again at home and he said yes.

Problem is back. So this isn't over. Very frustrating. Now trying to schedule an appointment but their phones are messed up and they can't hear me when I call.

You cannot be serious? Did this doctor employ tympanometry?

You just got ripped off by an Otolaryngologist.

You have been bilked.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Get it irrigated.

There are swimmers who get this done almost monthly. I am overdue now that I think of it. Thanks for reminder.
    I have sensitive ears and I had that irrigation done to my ears only once in my life as a teenager. It was 1 of the most painful experiences of my life!! It hurt so freaking much!! I remember the ear doctor tell me it's like shooting a water gun in each ear and it was so damn painful. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I know my ears have some wax in them and definitely could be removed. But you couldn't pay me $10,000 to get that water gun pressure irrigation done to me ever again. No way!!

Comments

Tellafriend:

Load Metric
    Ear washing helped me because I would pack that wax shit in with q tips

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformDorm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I have sensitive ears and I had that irrigation done to my ears only once in my life as a teenager. It was 1 of the most painful experiences of my life!! It hurt so freaking much!! I remember the ear doctor tell me it's like shooting a water gun in each ear and it was so damn painful. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I know my ears have some wax in them and definitely could be removed. But you couldn't pay me $10,000 to get that water gun pressure irrigation done to me ever again. No way!!
    The nurse uses a turkey baster syringe looking thing. A tray is held under my ear - by me and I do not get a discount for assisting.

The affair tickles and makes me laugh.

I ask if she wants to go out later cause I had such a good time.

No sadism.

Comments

simply1: lol

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I have the exact same issue going on. I had Covid last week and finally tested negative on Sunday morning. On Sunday night, my ear clogged for no reason and the pressure started to build. I had flashbacks of ear aches as a kid and it hurt like crazy. Then, I heard a crinkly sound in my ear and a “pop”. Next thing I know I’ve got fluid and blood coming out of my ear.

I got into to see my GP yesterday and I don’t have any wax in my ear nor a perforated ear drum like I thought but diagnosed with an ear infection. I was prescribed an antibiotic/steroid ear drop called Ciprodex. Of course, no pharmacy in Vegas has it in stock so I had to wait for it to be ordered and just picked it up about an hour ago. In addition, my concierge doctor here in Vegas basically said it is impossible to get into see an ENT here, they called and got me an appointment for next week. A lot good that is going to be.

Iwoke up at 3:00 am feeling like my head was going to explode. I’ve been taking massive quantities of Tylenol and more importantly a sinus congestion reliever, I’m using Tylenol Sinus Severe. All the nose blowing and swallowing doesn’t do shit. The lady at the pharmacy told me to google “magic rice sock”.. here it is..

Warm rice sock:

Put some rice into a clean tube sock until it’s halfway full and then tie its mouth to form a pouch.
    Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the sock pouch and microwave it for about a minute.
    Check the temperature of the rice sock on your arm to make sure it’s not too hot.
    Place the rice sock over the ear for a few minutes repeatedly, until the pouch loses its heat.

The warmth does help but no miracle cure. If you can figure something out..I would love to know but yea, I can relate and hope you feel better.

Thread Information