Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Flores sues the NFL (hiring/tanking scandal)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    NFL match fixing is more interesting to me than racism but that makes me the minority on PFA in 2022.

I demand affirmative action Druff
    I agree. This angle is much more interesting. A quick perusal if the Dolphins 2019 schedule is even more interesting. They started 0-10 but finished 5-1. When was the $100k/game offer made? Was it max $1 million? Was it actually paid? Did Flores decide to give a big fuck you and just start winning. Was anyone else privy to the offer? So many questions.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post

No doubt that Flores was treated unfairly here. He's looking for a payday now. I don't think he deserves it but probable he walks away with something. The culprit is an NFL rule that is racist towards whites, that actually wronged a black guy. Some would call this ironic. Personally, I think its funny.

"Racism is bad" is deeply embedded in the American fiber. This is very true. Unfortunately many think this really means only White on Black racism & not all racism. This is a great example of that. A racist rule that wrongs someone in the end. Truly all racism is bad.
    Your point seems to this: a rule made by white guys is racist AGAINST white guys...?

Comments

herbertstemple: YES

Load Metric
    Waiting for the class action suit from Walter against Druff for not having enough posters of color on this site.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Gold
    Load Metric
    Yeah, WTF is going on here?

Flores says there was attempted bribery to fix games, and the headline is the Rooney rule is a joke (which we all knew already).

Is this the new "Jeffrey Epstein is a hedge fund billionaire" byline, where the media just hypnotizes us into ignoring what should be the real story.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Meh.

I read the whole story according to Yahoo. With the caveat this is coming from the MSM who lie about most things so who knows what is really true, seems like the story would actually have legs if it just excluded all the racism stuff. The real interesting things are:

1. Attempted match fixing
    2. Attempted free agent QB tampering

--But yeah, since the lawsuit has all the racism stuff, including actually mentioning Kaepernick, I am out on this guy. It really is amazing to me how the history of Kaepernick saga has been completely rewritten to fit the left's obsession with racism narratives. First off, IF you think Kaepernick was blackballed by the league, it was clearly because of his polarizing activism, as opposed to his race.

And second, are we all going to just forget that he wasn't actually completely blackballed, and at one point he was being considered for the Seattle Seahawks backup but he turned it down because he wanted to be payed like a starter and they were offering backup money. And by reports he was actually offered a job to be the Ravens backup before his activist GF started calling out the owner of the Ravens as being a slave owner.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Meh.

I read the whole story according to Yahoo. With the caveat this is coming from the MSM who lie about most things so who knows what is really true, seems like the story would actually have legs if it just excluded all the racism stuff. The real interesting things are:

--But yeah, since the lawsuit has all the racism stuff, including actually mentioning Kaepernick, I am out on this guy. It really is amazing to me how the history of Kaepernick saga has been completely rewritten to fit the left's obsession with racism narratives. First off, IF you think Kaepernick was blackballed by the league, it was clearly because of his polarizing activism, as opposed to his race.

And second, are we all going to just forget that he wasn't actually completely blackballed, and at one point he was being considered for the Seattle Seahawks backup but he turned it down because he wanted to be payed like a starter and they were offering backup money. And by reports he was actually offered a job to be the Ravens backup before his activist GF started calling out the owner of the Ravens as being a slave owner.
    My gut (pun intended) feeling here Is Flores is more about going after the Dolphins. But I bet when speaking to his lawyers, they basically told him "you will have no future in the NFL if you file this suit, so we need to put everything we can in here and see what sticks.....oh and btw racist stuff is SUPER POPULAR right now".

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The fake woke NFL gets sued for not being woke enough. You can't make this shit up.

They will eventually get what everyone else does.......nothing is ever good enough for these psychopaths.

So keep on capitulating to their demands, this is where it gets you.

Load Metric

Comments

splitthis: Lol suprise suprise sports are rigged just like elections

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Meh.

My gut (pun intended) feeling here Is Flores is more about going after the Dolphins. But I bet when speaking to his lawyers, they basically told him "you will have no future in the NFL if you file this suit, so we need to put everything we can in here and see what sticks.....oh and btw racist stuff is SUPER POPULAR right now".
    When Flores was insubordinate to his owner THAT was the end of his career. Ross might have told him precisely that.

How does NFL match fixing compare to the NBA? The NBA never really hid from tanking. Never made any pretense otherwise. They (we) knew it went on and tried to discourage it by changing draft lottery rules. Match fixing has always been a hallmark of modern pro basketball.

The cockroaches in the NFL are getting some light shown on them. Just admit your sins and move on. Settle. Goodell is a lawyer and swift decisions is not in his DNA

Load Metric
    How does NFL match fixing compare to the NBA? The NBA never really hid from tanking. Never made any pretense otherwise. They (we) knew it went on and tried to discourage it by changing draft lottery rules. Match fixing has always been a hallmark of modern pro basketball.
    The big difference is the offer of money. Bribery has its own very specific federal law as it relates to fixing sports. Tanking is one thing. Paying your coach under the table money to lose is against federal law.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    The big difference is the offer of money. Bribery has its own very specific federal law as it relates to fixing sports. Tanking is one thing. Paying your coach under the table money to lose is against federal law.
    We don’t know that NBA coaches don’t get paid to tank but the structure of reward given the number of games etc is prolly less direct than what Flores was offered.

That this is a case of bribery is a new idea for me. Wow.

I haven’t gotten into the story yet. You have a link to a podcast?

Load Metric
    We don’t know that NBA coaches don’t get paid to tank but the structure of reward given the number of games etc is prolly less direct than what Flores was offered.

No pod but people are starting to write about it, and you'll notice the NFL hasn't said a word about it. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...legations.html

If the bribery stuff gets bigger, the other owners will throw Ross to the curb as fast as they can, and owners almost never do that. Keep in mind Ross invests in the Action Network and the NFL gets Yuuuuuge money from gambling companies now.

Comments

Sanlmar: Crowe is responsive
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 02-02-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Load Metric
    Ownership for the Giants and Jets have to consider these reports especially depressing.

"We were actually trying to win the last few years...."

Comments

The Boz:

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ha Pats coach screwing over a competitor by “accidentally” texting the wrong guy…

Crazy like a fox

Comments

Sanlmar: Exactly.

Load Metric

No pod but people are starting to write about it, and you'll notice the NFL hasn't said a word about it. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...legations.html

If the bribery stuff gets bigger, the other owners will throw Ross to the curb as fast as they can, and owners almost never do that. Keep in mind Ross invests in the Action Network and the NFL gets Yuuuuuge money from gambling companies now.
    Fantastic article.

Evidence that this “pay to tank” arrangement with coaches was not isolated to the Dolphins is already surfacing.

The NFL will be thrilled to keep the narrative on the racism track.

Goodell is gonna be sitting in front of Congress.

I predict he is going to take a page out of Vince McMahon’s playbook in 1989 when he admitted that the WWE had scripted outcomes. McMahon did this to become deregulated in New Jersey and was one of the most brilliant strategies ever executed in either sports or business. The WWE become bigger than ever and McMahon and Trump went on to the White House decades later. McMahon correctly calculated the public didn’t care.

Goodell: You want answers?

Senator Crowe: I think I'm entitled.

Goodell: You want answers?

Senator Crowe: I want the truth.

Col. Goodell: You can't handle the truth.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The whole tanking thing in professional sports can be solved, but for some reason nobody in power is interested in solving it.

Rather than awarding failure with draft picks, simply make it a negative system -- the top teams are handicapped at the next draft, and everyone else is equal, with their order selected at random.

This works because it prevents the very best teams from getting the best draft picks, while everyone else has a shot. And nobody is going to tank, because no teams are going to purposely lose when they're already among the top teams in the sport.

No draft system can be perfect, but to me it seems this is (by far) the best solution. The tanking has just gotten to embarrassing levels in every sport.

On a side note, Paul DePodesta is overrated. He sucked during his time with the Dodgers. Nearly every move he made was either a fail or produced mediocre returns.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The whole tanking thing in professional sports can be solved, but for some reason nobody in power is interested in solving it.

Rather than awarding failure with draft picks, simply make it a negative system -- the top teams are handicapped at the next draft, and everyone else is equal, with their order selected at random.

This works because it prevents the very best teams from getting the best draft picks, while everyone else has a shot. And nobody is going to tank, because no teams are going to purposely lose when they're already among the top teams in the sport.

No draft system can be perfect, but to me it seems this is (by far) the best solution. The tanking has just gotten to embarrassing levels in every sport.

On a side note, Paul DePodesta is overrated. He sucked during his time with the Dodgers. Nearly every move he made was either a fail or produced mediocre returns.
    My point appears to escape you, Druff.

Vince McMahon taught us, “no one cares”.

I’m a little more in your camp with the fraud thing. I am more realistic than you about outcomes and public sentiment.

This is the over riding theme of our time here on PFA

Tzetchoff and his extended family are laxing away each afternoon on the Gold Coast of Australia

Gold
    Load Metric
    Fantastic article.

Evidence that this “pay to tank” arrangement with coaches was not isolated to the Dolphins is already surfacing.

The NFL will be thrilled to keep the narrative on the racism track.

I was recently sitting at the poker table with a bunch of rich, white boomers (mostly Trump voters I would guess), most of whom I know bet on NFL regularly, who got into a big discussion over this incident. The entire focus of the discussion was on the Rooney rule and whether there was systemic racism in hiring coaches and GMs. A couple times I actually tried to steer the conversation to the bigger issue of "pay to tank" but no one at the table was interested. A long way to go, but so far Goodell seems to be winning this one.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Bad teams tank?….what a revelation, stop the presses!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Jason Whitlock had a hot take that the current state of racial grievances is actually making NFL owners and executives more wary of hiring black coaches, because they have to worry about being attacked as racists by the media and the coaches themselves if they decide they want to fire them for any reason. You can fire a white coach with impunity, and will probably even be celebrated for it by the sports media if you can make any insinuation they ever said anything racially insensitive at some point in their lives. But if you want to fire a black coach, you are really opening yourself up to the sports media ecosystem playing the race card against you.

Whitlock argues the Dolphins ownership actually has more diversity in their coaching and high ranking staff than any other NFL franchise. And as a reward they are being dragged through the racial grievance mud when there is no indication Flores firing had anything to do with his race at all.
    Last edited by Kalam; 02-05-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Thread Information