Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't Look Up on Netflix

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Apparently this movie set all-time viewing records for Netflix:

Article: Adam McKay’s ‘Don’t Look Up’ Smashes Netflix Viewing Records With Over 150 Million Hours Viewed

Adam McKay’s “Don’t Look Up,” which stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence as a pair of scientists trying to convince the world to take an extinction-level astroid seriously, has broken records at Netflix.

In its second week on the streaming platform, the disaster movie has recorded 152,290,000 hours streamed between Dec. 27 and Jan 2, putting it right at the top of its leaderboard of globally viewed English-language films.

“Don’t Look Up,” which also stars Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Jonah Hill and Timothée Chalamet, was released in theaters on Dec. 10 before debuting on the platform fourteen days later.

In its first two days on Netflix it logged 111,030,000 hours viewed.

“I’m straight up flabbergasted by this,” McKay responded to the news on Twitter.

Comments

Sanlmar: I’ll be damned

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It was funny but dragged on. The Ariana Grande sound was way too long. Cate Blanchett has never looked better.

Load Metric
    “I’m straight up flabbergasted by this,” McKay responded to the news on Twitter.
    McKay made the movie and he doesn’t understand. How confused do you think I am?

The gaps in my pop culture movie viewing you could drive Mumbles truck through. Big Lebowski - nope. Home Alone - nope. Every awful Star Wars. Never seen a Marvel movie. It’s obvious and endless omissions. I respect myself too much.

This movie is tapping into something in the public’s psyche. I want to understand people like you, Khalwat.

Is it the apocalyptic theme? All the fear of dying from a global pandemic? Is it the politics? If you tell me the answer you will spare me the pain of sitting through this.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    McKay made the movie and he doesn’t understand. How confused do you think I am?

The gaps in my pop culture movie viewing you could drive Mumbles truck through. Big Lebowski - nope. Home Alone - nope. Every awful Star Wars. Never seen a Marvel movie. It’s obvious and endless omissions. I respect myself too much.
    Oh dude... go watch The Big Lebowski... seriously. The rest you can skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    This movie is tapping into something in the public’s psyche. I want to understand people like you, Khalwat.

Is it the apocalyptic theme? All the fear of dying from a global pandemic? Is it the politics? If you tell me the answer you will spare me the pain of sitting through this.
    I don't think it's award-winning cinema, it's certainly over the top... and I can totally see how it's not for everyone. It's not one of my top movies of all time, but I found it enjoyable, funny, and frustrating at the same time.

It's a decently (over)done vignette into our society similar to Idiocracy or Team America in tone, in terms of obviously taking ridiculous things (both left and right and pop culture in general) to extremes.

But even as I'd be thinking "That's ridiculous, that could never happen" I look at the current state of things with climate change deniers, election fraud nonsense, QAnon, anti-vaxxers, and flat earthers and I'm like "Welp... actually, this is probably what would happen."

The frustration with people who just refuse to accept reality is palpable, I think.

Let's hope a meteor doesn't head our way any time soon.

Comments

country978: The Big Lebowski is a classic

Load Metric
    I was so damn mean to you early on Khalwat.

I have no doubt we could rap 3 solid hours over a beer without taking a breath.

Just wait til you software types put the finishing touches on cheap deep fake tech. That’s your meteor.

Comments

khalwat: Def always up for some beers!

Thread Information