Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have gadgets for camping, desert or off grid.

Load Metric

Lightbulb Must have gadgets for camping, desert or off grid.

Hey desertrunner, can you start a new Thread of Must have Gadgets for camping in the Desert or anywhere off the Grid thread. I already have purchased alot of the must haves.. and know you and other users have great ideas too. I frankly don't post here due to the fact that most of them arguing about politics and other boring topics .

Thank You for bringin new life to this forum.
    This thread is by request of another member and I ran it past Druff prior. I am not really an expert on survival and bugging out, rather a continuous student. But will share what I know and have so far.

I dont go out camping right now, but I want to get an SUV and "overland camp" in it, just pure SUV out in the wide open. I will list and breakdown what I have below, but suggest consulting some of the other websites out there for tip,s suggestions, ideas, etc.

Power Source- Right now I have a Jackery Power Bar that is only 22k miliamps. Designed to power up a laptop and cell phones, it seems to be a nice small power supply with one rear outlet. I specifically like this unit because it is USB-C rechargeable and I dont have to carry an extra cradle or adapter, just charge in the car as I drive. There are bigger battery packs out there, I like the bigger Jackery unit as I am thinking it would run an electric blanket during the winter nights and still charge my cell phone, lantern, flashlight, etc. https://www.jackery.com/products/pow...rtable-charger

There are solar charging panels for these large battery generators as well. Look at Goal Zero, etc.

Flashlights- As covered in the other thread, I only like the USB rechargeable lights, dont want to carry a charging cradle or adapter. Buy quality and not cheap, a light should be a long term 20 year investment.

Lantern- I like the Goal Zero USB lantern,. Its bright, has brightness adjustments, can hang from above and has stand up legs. Also durable and heavy duty. Probably the best $40 Ive spent on a light. http://www.goalzero.com/shop/lights/...-lantern-core/

Firearms- Weve covered alot in the other thread, I am a pistol guy mostly and like the Glock 19 9mm or S&W M&P, Sig Sauer or Walther, Beretta, HK brands.

Ammo- Consider a load magazine of snake shot. Also have the 9mm FMJ or JHP for self defense.

Also look at a rifle and shotgun. A good rifle for wild hogs, bad guys, etc. If the SHTF, an AR15 is needed or Ruger Mini 14.

Knife- Have a good folding knife on you with a serrated blade. Also consider a bigger fixed blade knife or machete to axe for bigger cutting and tasks. I like SOG, Gerber, Cold Steel and the folders from 5.11.

Jackets- Pretty much any high quality at REI. Look at North Face, Columbia, etc. I have a 5.11 tactical jacket.

Shoes/Boots- I like a good pair of leather work boots, steel toe not requited. Buy a good pair and they will last for a long time with routine care. Look at Red Wing, Wolverine, Thorogood and Boot Barn has a new line out called Worx.

Gloves- Get different types like warm leather gloves for casual and then a pair of work gloves you dont mind getting messed up.

Fire wood- I suggest whatever you can fit in a plastic milk crate.

Multi Tool- I have two Leatherman Wingman. A good ling term investment. www.leatherman.com/multi-tools

Fire starting- This is up to you to Google.

Ice Chest/Cooler- Whatever works. I dont have the plug in electrical kind, but there is where the big portable battery comes into play. Run it once for an hour later on in your tip to keep the cold stuff cold.

Laptop- Good for mapping and GPS software, not my background.

Food- I roll with the basics. I like bottled water, beef jerky, bread, chocolate bars, granola, chips, etc. If youre just doing an over night, you can pre-pack a salad in tupperware, grilled chicken on a small BBQ grill, etc.

Cell phone- Yep, bring it. Some people are buying satellite phones now, I dont know alot about them.

When I think of SUV camping, I think of a Toyota 4Runner like George from Canada that got stuck a year ago in Nevada.

All I got for now. Look up Nutnfancy on YouTube for some more tips, videos, tailgate cooking.

Comments

dwai: good ideas

MumblesBadly: *Walther
    Last edited by desertrunner; 12-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Load Metric
    A lot of Great information there Desert..

This is what I use for power source when I camp in my suv

Name:  power stuff.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  94.3 KB

Honda Generator light weight quiet 48 lbs, no spill gas tank, and Elements fire extinguisher is a must have for safety.

Need to add some Solar power if anybody has suggestions

Comments

desertrunner: That Honda is a nice unit.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    In the nicest way possible: you know fuck all about camping.
    Also driving your SUV 5 minutes of the higway, putting your tent up 4 feet from the car aint fucking camping or off the fucking grid
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Also driving your SUV 5 minutes of the higway, putting your tent up 4 feet from the car aint fucking camping or off the fucking grid
    what are you talking about SUV camping is the future. Covid- 19 has ruined most vacation choices for the next couple of years.
    Name:  fed.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  18.5 KB

600 millions plus acres plenty of places to camp for free

Comments

desertrunner: I admit, I am new to the SUV thing, just learning more.
    Last edited by snowtracks; 12-30-2020 at 08:30 PM. Reason: wrong numbers

Load Metric
    My disclaimer in the beginning is I am not an expert or making any claims. The SUV/overlander mode is my specific choice. I also said I dont want to go off the grid, I just like to go off road in a remote area of the Mojave, maybe close to Vegas. This is just my idea only on what I would like to do and just trying to answer the inbox request.

I do like what this guy did in the Mojave earlier this month...

Last edited by desertrunner; 12-30-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Load Metric
    I do have my own personal rope bag with webbing, carbiners, big and small collection plate, pullies, etc. I am NOT a rope expert, but have slowly collected this cache over time. Posted below is a pic of my setup...

A simple webbing and caribiner set up...

Plenty of used biners on ebay as well...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    My disclaimer in the beginning is I am not an expert or making any claims. The SUV/overlander mode is my specific choice. I also said I dont want to go off the grid, I just like to go off road in a remote area of the Mojave, maybe close to Vegas. This is just my idea only on what I would like to do and just trying to answer the inbox request.

Security - When camping remotely

I recommend the following

1- Glock 19, ruger 10-22, and shot Gun. all fun to shoot also
    2-Guardline 4 sensors this is battery operated motion detector alert 4 sensor you can put 500 feet from you camp Name:  guard.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  28.0 KB
    3-Mavic 2 pro - this has a range of 3 miles with 25 minutes of flying time to see what is around your camp.Name:  mav.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  30.9 KB

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric

You really need to get something like this, US made and you can customize the shit out of everything, obv not for the desert, but why the fuck would one camp in the desert?
    the comfort of sleeping in a hammock and waking up pain free is just priceless when camping, it really is 10X better than a tent

Name:  318519_16468_L2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  31.2 KB
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...cks/chameleon/
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtracks View Post
    Security - When camping remotely

I recommend the following

1- Glock 19, ruger 10-22, and shot Gun. all fun to shoot also
    2-Guardline 4 sensors this is battery operated motion detector alert 4 sensor you can put 500 feet from you camp
    3-Mavic 2 pro - this has a range of 3 miles with 25 minutes of flying time to see what is around your camp.
    1. The Glock 19 is a winner for sure. We can only buy the Gen3 in California and thats fine since I think thats the best gen model anyways...

I have a Ruger 10/22 and love it, in wood stock. My shotgun is a Remington 870 with a nice light as well.

2. I dont know anything about the senors, but interesting.

3. I also dont drone, but Druff does. interesting stuff.

Also consider night vision googles (NVG) if you want to look out and see stuff. or get binoculars as well.

Load Metric
    ...obv not for the desert, but why the fuck would one camp in the desert?
    Its just my thing, I love it, cant explain it, I love being out in the middle of no where and love the danger factor of it too. I would love to sleep in my SUV and hear the wind howling outside and rain drops coming down on the roof. Snow is nice too.

This looks fun to me...

Last edited by desertrunner; 12-30-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Load Metric
    You fucking sell outs aint camping without this

I watched a Monday Night Football Game on this thing

Name:  tk's generator.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  113.6 KB

And made a slushie drink as you can see from my 4 outlets Ill even charge your phone or tablet if need be

Comments

desertrunner: Score- If it works, all good.

Load Metric
    honestly, fun thread.

lifestraw, solar charger, iridium sat phone, extra socks, first aid including disinfectant, snakebite kit, solid tang knife, thermal blankets, regular camping kit, fire starter, extra sunglasses/glasses, maybe a ravin crossbow, bare minimum fishing kit, some sort of book on whats locally edible and what isnt, small hand held steel mirror, crank powered radio/flash light, small led flashlight, iodine, hammock definitely, sunscreen/chapstick, waterproof gear, cell phone, maybe hundred feet of good cord, something to cook in, pound of ground coffee, aspirin.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    honestly, fun thread.

lifestraw, solar charger, iridium sat phone, extra socks, first aid including disinfectant, snakebite kit, solid tang knife, thermal blankets, regular camping kit, fire starter, extra sunglasses/glasses, maybe a ravin crossbow, bare minimum fishing kit, some sort of book on whats locally edible and what isnt, small hand held steel mirror, crank powered radio/flash light, small led flashlight, iodine, hammock definitely, sunscreen/chapstick, waterproof gear, cell phone, maybe hundred feet of good cord, something to cook in, pound of ground coffee, aspirin.
    If I need all of this shit I shouldn't be camping?

I should be preparing for a war against a bigger bitch.

I like your style

Load Metric
    How Ive grilled in the past...

This looks alot better...

Then we can grill rattle snake...

Have not used one of these coolers before, but they look nice, will probably never buy one...

Load Metric
    How Ive grilled in the past...

This looks alot better...

Have not used one of these coolers before, but they look nice, will probably never buy one...

Im in on this camp out if we trade the Gatorade for a 30 pack and some Grey Goose in that cooler

We can eat later

Don't forget we brought Big Red with us so we can even order Door Dash from a phone

We are def burning the burgers after you drink with me on that grill

Comments

desertrunner: Im down for whatever, no game plan, just rollin with it.

Load Metric
    Hold up

I just seen the snakes we aint cooking any snakes?

We will just go 0-4 get drunk as hell then call radio.

Typical day in the Residential Hood but we will be roughing it

Comments

desertrunner: Dont have to do snakes, just throwing that out there.

Load Metric
    No lie Ill go...

I mide as well do something b4 I lose all the money I made the past 6 months

Ill be unarmed I may bring a bat. If you want to go camping for 4 days with the badguy you will have to pick me up from the airport Im in we can document it. Im bored and you may be a cop and have a family I dont care.

Ill fly there but im not fishing for my food we need Beer Liquor and Tuna Fish LOL. Ill buy it all you provide the tent and any of that shit sonatine said we need

Im dead serious Ill do this

Comments

desertrunner: Sounds good, my ideal is that Nissan Exterra trip in Mojave that guy did. And Im not a cop.

Load Metric
    Most of the stuff above I wont be taking. My ideal SUV trip is- cooler with drinks, chicken and salad, blankets in the SUV to sleep, firearms, portable DVD player, firewood, lantern, multitool, folding chairs and flashlights. My ideal trip wouldnt include a whole lot of stuff just for an overnight trip alone or with a girlfriend. Also include a portable battery generator for the electric blanket if we go in the winter. Its its really cold outside, probably just bring a pre-cooked meal with us.

What I would like to do is the overnight in the Mojave desert on the CA side and then in the morning drive to a hotel in Primm, Nevada for breakfast and then a shower and stay a second night there or just drive into Vegas.

When it comes to the camping stuff above, I'm there just for the simplicity, fun experience and not the super technical stuff and gadgets. I dont believe in bringing too much junk and items, simple is best.

This guy did it just right (just didnt have any firearms with him and thats a bad call)...

And where is Druff??

Load Metric
    Most of the stuff above I wont be taking. My ideal SUV trip is- cooler with drinks, chicken and salad, blankets in the SUV to sleep, firearms, portable DVD player, firewood, lantern, multitool, folding chairs and flashlights. My ideal trip wouldnt include a whole lot of stuff just for an overnight trip alone or with a girlfriend. Also include a portable battery generator for the electric blanket if we go in the winter. Its its really cold outside, probably just bring a pre-cooked meal with us.

What I would like to do is the overnight in the Mojave desert on the CA side and then in the morning drive to a hotel in Primm, Nevada for breakfast and then a shower and stay a second night there or just drive into Vegas.

When it comes to the camping stuff above, I'm there just for the simplicity, fun experience and not the super technical stuff and gadgets. I dont believe in bringing too much junk and items, simple is best.
    Maybe I should ask some hard ?s
    How many beers b4 you get drunk?
    Is there Cell phone service if u leave me behind in the Nissan?
    Im going to a place I never been b4 with just a Easton

Druff says he knows you but he also knew Petey Dc and i would of been left 4 dead in a Knights Inn room if the narrative played listening to a 976 phone sex person with a cord around my neck

Now you know why I have 4 outlets on my generator
    Last edited by badguy23; 12-30-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Load Metric

This guy did it just right (just didnt have any firearms with him and thats a bad call)...

And where is Druff??
    Im surprised Druff isn't Out there with you?

I don't see how any tomatoes can grow out there

Im baffled

Thread Information