Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/18- Breaking- All California Bay Area counties are now under "stay at home order".

Load Metric

Exclamation 12/18- Breaking- All California Bay Area counties are now under "stay at home order".

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    We have 0.0% icu beds here in SoCal....

The same thing is coming the rest of the country's way soon enough unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Can anyone knowledgeable answer the question regarding what 0.0% ICU beds really means in California?

I am hearing talk that this is not what it appears to be, and that it really means 0.0% ICU beds sitting open and ready. That is, there may be more beds, but they aren't set up because of either a claimed lack of staffing or because they are occupied by people who can easily be removed and sent home if necessary.

For example, think of a restaurant on a Friday night in 2019. All of the tables are likely full. However, if a major celebrity walked in and wanted a table, it's likely they could either bring out one more table and make room for it, or ask the party of 10 which has been sitting there talking after the meal for the past 90 minutes to GTFO.

I think the real question is:

Say you come into one of these 0.0% ICU hospitals right now, with really bad breathing problems due to COVID. Are they saying to people, "Sorry, can't help you. Either find another hospital or go home to die"? Or are they finding a way to make room?

I'm guessing it's the latter.

Some are of the belief that the hospitals are legitimately slammed, but that it's also to their financial advantage to claim 0.0% space, while actually still being able to take new patients coming in with COVID.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Give it a rest with your pathetically uninformed analogies.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way, remember the controversy involving Gretchen Whitmer and Andrew Cuomo, who MANDATED that nursing homes take COVID-positive patients, resulting in likely thousands of extra deaths?

I know the mainstream media loved to try avoid coverage of this, but I'm sure you've heard about it by now. So why did this happen? Did Cuomo and Whitmer just love killing old people?

Obviously not.

This was a misguided and idiotic attempt to free ICU beds. Here was their thinking in the spring of 2020:

A certain percentage of people in the ICU for COVID, who are on the way to recovery, don't really need to be there anymore. They're still COVID-positive, but they are breathing well enough to be out of the danger zone, and they seem to be improving every day. With a possible shortage of ICU beds coming up (especially in NYC), why not send these recovering COVID patients to available beds in nursing homes, and free up the ICU for those who are truly worsening?

Whitmer took it one step further by also mandating that recovering non-elderly COVID patients also be sent to the nursing homes, which resulted in that tragedy where a mentally ill 20-year-old beat an old man to death for fun.

Anyway, this was all to free up perceived lacking ICU space. It ended up killing a LOT of old people, and neither governor has ever allowed the numbers to be fully released from that time period. In reality, the ICU was never actually stretched to complete capacity, so this measure wasn't necessary anyway. Huge blunder on their part.

Presumably California has learned from this and won't make the same mistake, but with Newsom you never know.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Some are of the belief that the hospitals are legitimately slammed, but that it's also to their financial advantage to claim 0.0% space, while actually still being able to take new patients coming in with COVID.
    How is it financially beneficial to discourage patients coming in?

To go back to the restaurant analogy, is there some kind of advantage in pretending to be closed?

Comments

nightmarefish: Too much logic in this post.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    By the way, remember the controversy involving Gretchen Whitmer and Andrew Cuomo, who MANDATED that nursing homes take COVID-positive patients, resulting in likely thousands of extra deaths?

I know the mainstream media loved to try avoid coverage of this, but I'm sure you've heard about it by now. So why did this happen? Did Cuomo and Whitmer just love killing old people?

Obviously not.

This was a misguided and idiotic attempt to free ICU beds. Here was their thinking in the spring of 2020:

A certain percentage of people in the ICU for COVID, who are on the way to recovery, don't really need to be there anymore. They're still COVID-positive, but they are breathing well enough to be out of the danger zone, and they seem to be improving every day. With a possible shortage of ICU beds coming up (especially in NYC), why not send these recovering COVID patients to available beds in nursing homes, and free up the ICU for those who are truly worsening?

Whitmer took it one step further by also mandating that recovering non-elderly COVID patients also be sent to the nursing homes, which resulted in that tragedy where a mentally ill 20-year-old beat an old man to death for fun.

Anyway, this was all to free up perceived lacking ICU space. It ended up killing a LOT of old people, and neither governor has ever allowed the numbers to be fully released from that time period. In reality, the ICU was never actually stretched to complete capacity, so this measure wasn't necessary anyway. Huge blunder on their part.

Presumably California has learned from this and won't make the same mistake, but with Newsom you never know.
    Ya, that was likely the reasoning.

I can tell you as of today my wife's hospital has zero ICU beds not in use. The last number I heard yesterday for southern California was 1.7% of ICU beds were not in use. That percentage is probably lower now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post

To go back to the restaurant analogy, is there some kind of advantage in pretending to be closed?
    That might be a bad analogy to go to back to, as yes, certain restaurants do that all the time to varying extents.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    That might be a bad analogy to go to back to, as yes, certain restaurants do that all the time to varying extents.
    Oh, you mean the ol' Eric Cartman "you can't come" strat?

So with the hospitals overloaded, that just makes people want to go even more! For that exclusive VIP hospital experience. lmao

Load Metric
    OH NO WILL THE TIKTOK NURSES HAVE TO ACTUALLY WORK NOW?

FIND OUT LATER

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I'm actually not sure. It's possible that they simply want to keep as many patients receiving billable service as possible, with the knowledge that they can release some of these people if the bed space becomes necessary. Going back to the restaurant analogy, they might let people sit after the meal for 90 minutes, provided they are still ordering drinks occasionally, since an empty table makes zero money. However, if the table is needed, they might ask this party to leave.

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but it's important to know that ERs are for-profit ventures, and they aren't doing charity work here.

I'm not sold on either position. Maybe it really is filled to the brim, and they're turning away people needing care, which would be a tragedy, especially given how long we've had to prepare for such a spike.

But I want some independent verification from a reliable, unbiased source. I don't want to hear, "There's no problem" from a MAGA fanatic, and I don't want to hear "OMG OMG CRISIS, THEY SENDIN PEOPLE HOME TO DIE" from someone with 4 years of TDS all over their Twitter.

I just want the real story, especially since it could actually affect me or someone I love if we get COVID and need care.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Can anyone knowledgeable answer the question regarding what 0.0% ICU beds really means in California?

I am hearing talk that this is not what it appears to be, and that it really means 0.0% ICU beds sitting open and ready. That is, there may be more beds, but they aren't set up because of either a claimed lack of staffing or because they are occupied by people who can easily be removed and sent home if necessary.

For example, think of a restaurant on a Friday night in 2019. All of the tables are likely full. However, if a major celebrity walked in and wanted a table, it's likely they could either bring out one more table and make room for it, or ask the party of 10 which has been sitting there talking after the meal for the past 90 minutes to GTFO.

Say you come into one of these 0.0% ICU hospitals right now, with really bad breathing problems due to COVID. Are they saying to people, "Sorry, can't help you. Either find another hospital or go home to die"? Or are they finding a way to make room?

0% doesn't mean 0% in California.

The hospitals send their data to the state, the state applies their gorilla math "standardization factor" to determine the % availability, and reports back the new number.

Posted this article in the covid thread, it explains everything.

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/cou...58d70aa48.html

Platinum
    Load Metric

I'm actually not sure. It's possible that they simply want to keep as many patients receiving billable service as possible, with the knowledge that they can release some of these people if the bed space becomes necessary. Going back to the restaurant analogy, they might let people sit after the meal for 90 minutes, provided they are still ordering drinks occasionally, since an empty table makes zero money. However, if the table is needed, they might ask this party to leave.

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but it's important to know that ERs are for-profit ventures, and they aren't doing charity work here.

I'm not sold on either position. Maybe it really is filled to the brim, and they're turning away people needing care, which would be a tragedy, especially given how long we've had to prepare for such a spike.

But I want some independent verification from a reliable, unbiased source. I don't want to hear, "There's no problem" from a MAGA fanatic, and I don't want to hear "OMG OMG CRISIS, THEY SENDIN PEOPLE HOME TO DIE" from someone with 4 years of TDS all over their Twitter.

I just want the real story, especially since it could actually affect me or someone I love if we get COVID and need care.
    Druff, the hospitals are fucking full. I'm posting shit from people I know very well. Is there some reason you're ignoring it?

My wife's hospital sent out an emergency alert to all ambulances that they couldn't take any patients unless it was a life threatening trauma. There could have been a car accident across the street where someone broke both legs and both arms and they would have told the paramedics to take that patient to a different hospital.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Don’t try to confuse Druff with facts-on-the-ground while he is trying to discredit the governmental management abilities of the political opposition.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Druff, the hospitals are fucking full. I'm posting shit from people I know very well. Is there some reason you're ignoring it?

My wife's hospital sent out an emergency alert to all ambulances that they couldn't take any patients unless it was a life threatening trauma. There could have been a car accident across the street where someone broke both legs and both arms and they would have told the paramedics to take that patient to a different hospital.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post

The hospitals send their data to the state, the state applies their gorilla math "standardization factor" to determine the % availability, and reports back the new number.

Notice the guy in the article says he's concerned about what may be ahead and the article is from a week ago.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post

Notice the guy in the article says he's concerned about what may be ahead and the article is from a week ago.
    are you gonna be okay man?

you're losing it sweetie

Load Metric
    I agree with dwai that Druff is a huge pussy for caring about this.

-Big Slick

Comments

Walter Sobchak: terrible dupe

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  38.7 KB

I wonder how many people can see the retarded post above. over/under set at 5.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslickAA1966 View Post
    I agree with dwai that Druff is a huge pussy for caring about this.

-Big Slick

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Okay?

But are people being sent home?

I can believe certain hospitals actually have zero space, but if they can be sent down the street to where there is space, it's not a tragedy -- at least not yet.

Load Metric

Okay?

But are people being sent home?

I can believe certain hospitals actually have zero space, but if they can be sent down the street to where there is space, it's not a tragedy -- at least not yet.
    of course people aren't being sent home, they're giving them orange juice and cough drops and they're fine

Thread Information