Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

They have their share of fotm issues. I've yet to see any of them trump the issues of donators when it comes to actual national policy though. Almost none of it's dogma. There's few traditional issues where science isn't a part of such as abortion. I don't know what part science could play in it. I also think we're maybe 2 generations away from governments paying for abortion/sterilization. And the slightly less civil rights oriented governments mandating it.

Then there's the part are we talking about the American left/right or Global. You only have centrist and right wing economic representation. Most of the social issues of your left are cosigned by the Western European right. The large scale ones. Social security, healthcare and unions to a degree first come to mind. Such as funding NHS was a campaign point for Brexit.

There's also certain emotionally driven causes that also have a base in science. Criminal justice system, human rights and social security. The only true emotional part is do you want to like in healthier, safer and fairer society or are you fine living in gated communities surrounded by the 3rd world. Traditionally Americans have been willing to gamble for the spot in gated communities. It's a worse gamble every year and wasn't that great to begin with.

Meh, one those Hamptons not being a defensible position coming to fruition in our life time.

this of course is a much more informed, broader spectrum perspective than the one i was presenting. im just endlessly fascinated and equal parts horrified by my political factions inability to reconcile its mixed messages on this issue.
Something similar could be seen in 80s gay rights and 00s animal rights. They were both emotionally driven campaigns, that were essentially going in the right direction, but there was plenty of stupid shit on the sidelines.

And if i remember correctly the mainstream right wing reaction to both was prophecy of the end the world. FBI might have infiltrated both.

Re: Russian psyops, i don't think they really produce their own material. There's so much existing lunacy to choose from. They pick few and see what gets most traction. The current right-wing echo chamber of information is so interwoven with zero control for verifying anything that's it's really cheap and easy to plug almost anything there. Most of it ripples here daily. And apparently half the site believes that is an accurate portrayal of the left.