Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Friday night fun

  1. #1

  2. #2
    My gut says no so it’s probably yes, but I wouldn’t begin to know why it could of couldn’t.

  3. #3
    Didn't Mythbusters do this? and the plane can take off? I can't remember

  4. #4
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5145
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    36,261
    Blog Entries
    2
    I believe the answer is yes.

    The plane actually has the same forward momentum required to take off, it's just not going anywhere.

    A good way to think about this is if you suddenly stopped the conveyor belt and the plane engine simultaneously, the plane would lunge forward from its existing momentum.

     
    Comments
      
      GrenadaRoger: Flying Stupidity Rep

  5. #5
    Yes

    The conveyer belt matches (cancels) the wheels forward motion.

    The plane only achieves forward motion when the jet engines pull it thru the air.

    Air movement past the wings means lift.


    The pilot just got notice he is being laid off.

  6. #6
    So we are just building these long runways when we can just install conveyor belts? We have enough land. Sounds like a job for Japan.

  7. #7
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5145
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    36,261
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    So we are just building these long runways when we can just install conveyor belts? We have enough land. Sounds like a job for Japan.
    Sounds more like a job for Elon Tusk

  8. #8
    we should just use catapults like aircraft carriers do.

  9. #9
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1225
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,632
    No!
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  10. #10
    not googling it but i guess no because wind

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6132
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27,851
    this might be the most pfa thread in history.


    air passing over and under the wings generates lift, you absolute start spangled retards.


    none of you could have possibly graduated high school in an actual first world country.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs



    http://www.lolstockaments.com/

  13. #13
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    -79
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    7,845
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    this might be the most pfa thread in history.


    air passing over and under the wings generates lift, you absolute start spangled retards.


    none of you could have possibly graduated high school in an actual first world country.
    Dude, I’ve actually taken flying lessons, and got to do a few solo flights before I gave it up after passing out during a spin recovery. And you know what my trainer said during my first lesson after asking me “What makes a plane fly”, to which I had responded with some technical answer? He said “Money. Lots of it. Now where’s your check for this lesson?”

    And seeing as I don’t see any money coming off that conveyor belt, my answer to the OP’s question is “Hell, no!”
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    We have a horrible choice between a super-shady, self-serving, lying criminal (Hillary Clinton) and an emotionally-unbalanced, shoot-from-the-hip authoritarian who lacks the intellectual curiosity to even want to learn the complexities that come with running a major nation like the US (Donald Trump).

  14. #14
    no, for the reason Sont mentioned...specifically the lift needed to get the plane off the ground is caused by air moving over the wing at a faster rate than air moving below the wing...that creates lower pressure above the wing, greater pressure below, and thus the plane is lifted---the engines merely create the air flow over the wings, but because in this instance the plane is not moving forward, there is no air flow...the shape of the top part of the wing (arched with trailing edge extended) helps create lower air pressure over the wing as air passes over it--the Wright brothers discovered this by studying the shape of bird wings & building the first air tunnel to find optimal wing shape
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    no, for the reason Sont mentioned...specifically the lift needed to get the plane off the ground is caused by air moving over the wing at a faster rate than air moving below the wing...that creates lower pressure above the wing, greater pressure below, and thus the plane is lifted---the engines merely create the air flow over the wings, but because in this instance the plane is not moving forward, there is no air flow...the shape of the top part of the wing (arched with trailing edge extended) helps create lower air pressure over the wing as air passes over it--the Wright brothers discovered this by studying the shape of bird wings & building the first air tunnel to find optimal wing shape

     
    Comments
      
      GrenadaRoger: https://www.explainthatstuff.com/howplaneswork.html

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post




    interesting, but the experiment does not match the problem stated imo....in the experiment the plane used has its propeller is in front of the leading edge of wing, thus creating airflow over the wing despite no forward movement....
    also, a car is towing the takeoff strip, thus both the plane and the strip are moving, hence airflow...the problem has the plane on a stationary treadmill where it remains in one position at equalibrium

    the 747 engines are below and behind...i don't think the intake of the jet engines would create enough airflow across the leading edge of the 747's wing...not enough to air flow to lift the plane...indeed air into the front of the engine could cause some reverse flow over the top of the wing
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 05-30-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

  18. #18
    this is probably the best explanation of the problem that I've read.

    https://blog.xkcd.com/2008/09/09/the...amn-treadmill/

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    this is probably the best explanation of the problem that I've read.

    https://blog.xkcd.com/2008/09/09/the...amn-treadmill/
    thanks for finding this...

    i don't mean to be stubborn but:

    well, the explanation to my mind does not fit the problem...the problem states that the conveyor offsets the forward thrust of the engines, such that plane says is the same position, thus no airflow

    the explanation claims forward movement will result because the engine thrust is so powerful it overcomes the offsetting force of conveyor against wheels, such that the plane moves forward, airflow results and lift occurs...i believe that is what would occur in a real life test, but the problem stated (i believe) that the plane stays in the same location despite the engine thrust

    okay, i done, this fish is finished.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

    thanks for finding this...

    i don't mean to be stubborn but:

    well, the explanation to my mind does not fit the problem...the problem states that the conveyor offsets the forward thrust of the engines, such that plane says is the same position, thus no airflow
    You can be stubborn, but you shouldn't re-word the problem. The problem states "The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction." It does NOT offset the forward thrust of the engines, that's the point. It can negate it to a certain amount of thrust, but after that, the plane's gonna go regardless of what its wheels are doing. That's how I understand it, anyway.

     
    Comments
      
      GrenadaRoger: yeah, i understand you view...thanks
      
      dwai: you understand his view because it is the CORRECT VIEW

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Had the most amazing dinner Friday night
    By tgull in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-17-2019, 03:39 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-30-2016, 04:34 PM
  3. Bellagio robbed again last Friday night
    By IamGreek in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 01:10 AM
  4. nfl friday night
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 05:07 AM
  5. friday night nba
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM