Page 30 of 124 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to shop at Target in Minneapolis today? (George Floyd police brutality death)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Betcheckbet
    Where you live, whether you have a private lawyer, who your parents are, ect plays a big role in whether you are charged. Also its ridiculous marijuana possession is treated more severely than DUIs in USA.
    This is one of the most overlooked aspects of crime and punishment.

The system isn't racist for the most part -- it's classist.

The better the lawyer, the lighter your consequence. A rich black guy is doing waaaaaay better for the same crime than a poor white guy.

It's also sexist, but in favor of females. It's a documented fact that females across the board get sentenced and charged less than their male counterparts for the same crimes. Young, pretty white females do the best.

Comments

BetCheckBet:

Load Metric
    interesting theory making the rounds; while the floyd's death was the catalyst for the protests, people realizing their jobs arent coming back is amping up the civil unrest considerably.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Betcheckbet
    Where you live, whether you have a private lawyer, who your parents are, ect plays a big role in whether you are charged. Also its ridiculous marijuana possession is treated more severely than DUIs in USA.

The better the lawyer, the lighter your consequence. A rich black guy is doing waaaaaay better for the same crime than a poor white guy.

It's also sexist, but in favor of females. It's a documented fact that females across the board get sentenced and charged less than their male counterparts for the same crimes. Young, pretty white females do the best.
    Many of those on the left would agree with you here. They would say that most problems of racism are actually classism. For example, some rich white people hate poor black people, but they manage to respect rich black businessmen. They would also point to the hatred of working class black people who became rich, seemingly 'undeservedly' - like football players.

I'm not sure personally where I stand on this issue, but class is a massive part of it - that's for sure.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    thank god all these totally legitimate accounts who make a handful of posts a year here are finally stepping up to let us know how justified the police response has been
    I'm sure you'd be pointing out the same if these accounts were on the left, right?

They aren't dupes btw.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    interesting theory making the rounds; while the floyd's death was the catalyst for the protests, people realizing their jobs arent coming back is amping up the civil unrest considerably.

Major major contributor I’d be willing to guess.

2% unemployment and everyone has a side hustle going with cash flowing in and out all over the place it covers up a lot of cracks in the foundation.

If I’m banking cash I have no time to waste on social unrest.

Comments

sonatine: canada getting 2x our stimulus checks every single month cant be helping matters

Platinum
    Load Metric
    haven't seen a bunch of white people this pissed off since friends went off the air...

bonus comment: was waiting for that chick's tit to fall out...

Load Metric
    Tine Canadians out of work get 2k/month for 4 months max

People still working get $0.00 unless you have kids and you get some cash to help with things.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

People still working get $0.00 unless you have kids and you get some cash to help with things.
    Sounds like they have their shit together.

Load Metric
    BLACK PPL ARE GOD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

chaps is banking 8k to do nothing but smash tinder baes for 4 straight months.

marvel at that.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    You can all act surprised but this is pretty much what the world envisioned with Trump running the country. It just took a little while to catch up but still on schedule.

Druff be thankful you don;t have a front yard. you ever wondered what would happen when national guard got tired of playing Warzone during quarantine? While now you know...

https://streamable.com/u2jzoo

Trump needs to change his slogan to "you start sitting on your front porch the shooting starts.'

Not quite as catchy though.
    When did I say I don't have a front yard???
    Thought you were in a condo building. But honestly I haven’t been keeping on on your housing situation haha

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was in various apartment buildings during my time in Vegas, but since I left, I've been in a house in California.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post

Many of those on the left would agree with you here. They would say that most problems of racism are actually classism. For example, some rich white people hate poor black people, but they manage to respect rich black businessmen. They would also point to the hatred of working class black people who became rich, seemingly 'undeservedly' - like football players.

I'm not sure personally where I stand on this issue, but class is a massive part of it - that's for sure.
    The problem is that there's no easy solution to this. I've tried to come up with one, but I can't.

You can't mandate that everyone has access to the best lawyers. In fact, that wouldn't even be possible because there wouldn't be enough "best" lawyers to go around.

Given that quality of legal representation is so huge in criminal cases, and given that there's no way to prevent the best ones from working only for clients who can afford them, there's always going to be a class gap in criminal justice, which also means there will be a race gap.

There is probably some racism in the court system, as well, but not nearly to the extent that's being accused (except maybe in some hick towns in the south). People are just confusing the classist system with a racist system, for the most part.

With that said, there really aren't that many cases where black people are unfairly convicted or sentenced. It's more of the opposite -- guilty rich people escape appropriate punishment more often than guilty poor people. Is that unfair? You bet. However, it doesn't mean that the poor people are getting screwed -- only that the rich people are getting something they don't deserve. Those are two different things.

Thread Information