Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dune by Frank Herbert

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    true story; i collect early editions of this series.

quick update; i run extremely good at books.

Can we get a update here?

I mean I have friends who list baseball cards for 100K. Its just like a house anyone can list something for sale for whatever they want.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

quick update; i run extremely good at books.

Can we get a update here?

I mean I have friends who list baseball cards for 100K. Its just like a house anyone can list something for sale for whatever they want.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.53.53 PM.png
Views: 146
Size:  1.37 MB
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Is that autoed copy a 1965 version in similar condition?

Point proven though…. 18K is a lot for a bunch of paper.

Comments

sonatine: its definitely having a moment

Load Metric

and $65,000 for btc in a wallet? haha, i know, i know.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

Yeah its all nuts

Of course i could say the BTC is supported by energy and the USD is supported by nothing.

And thats when someone adds a picture of a Nuke or a Aircraft carrier that says “USS Nothing”.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

Yeah its all nuts

Of course i could say the BTC is supported by energy and the USD is supported by nothing.

And thats when someone adds a picture of a Nuke or a Aircraft carrier that says “USS Nothing”.

another - you can pay your taxes with USD.

personally - our USD are trash, but the best trash on the block for now. what a shame.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll admit that I never read the book.

I saw the 1984 movie, which turned me off to Dune. It was boring and confusing. I tried to understand and like it, but it simply made no sense.

My friend I saw it with agreed.

I saw a TON of moves at that point of my life (I was 12 in 1984), and Dune was one of the least entertaining and hardest to understand. At the time I chalked it up to being a 12-year-old and the movie being over my head.

Much later, as an adult, I looked up reviews online, and noticed that intelligent 1984 adults, such as Roger Ebert, also had the same reaction to it that I did. And apparently if you didn't read the book beforehand, you were lost, which is a huge no-no when making a movie.

David Lynch, who made the film, was so ashamed of it that he took his name off it.

Load Metric
    didnt love Dune 2.

didnt hate it. but it seemed to sacrifice a lot of the depth of the world and the characters.

everyone was simply much more interesting in the books, especially the emperor and feyd. the BBC dune adaptation really got feyd right, especially his relationship with vladimir.

but like, where is the spacing guild in all this? in the book, representatives of the guild are present with the emperor during the final showdown. and thats an incredibly important point because when paul threatens to obliterate the spice, the guild (through their spicey powers) recognize the truth of the threat. this basically explains how the means for a galactic jihad become available to paul.

anyway whatever. it could have been much, much worse. they started preproduction on dune messiah which is promising i guess.. better than leaving the story as is i suppose.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The 1984 movie was bad, but when I watched it over and over again, I liked it. I saw it on acid one time, too, and it was good.

The new one, much more faithful to the book. I took my middle daughter to it because she likes Tim Chalofee, who is nice on the eyes, and she kept asking me what was happening,

Because even with a long movie, it makes not much sense unless you know what's going on.

Haven't see 2, yet, but I'd watch it on Netflix or something.

Comments

sonatine: valid and coge

Load Metric
    didnt love Dune 2.

didnt hate it. but it seemed to sacrifice a lot of the depth of the world and the characters.

everyone was simply much more interesting in the books, especially the emperor and feyd. the BBC dune adaptation really got feyd right, especially his relationship with vladimir.

but like, where is the spacing guild in all this? in the book, representatives of the guild are present with the emperor during the final showdown. and thats an incredibly important point because when paul threatens to obliterate the spice, the guild (through their spicey powers) recognize the truth of the threat. this basically explains how the means for a galactic jihad become available to paul.

anyway whatever. it could have been much, much worse. they started preproduction on dune messiah which is promising i guess.. better than leaving the story as is i suppose.
    Yeah, Villeneuve has said things to the effect of how much more he cares about images and set design at the expense of story and dialogue.

Part 1 really seemed to tow the line and achieve both, this one was more like a Terrence Malick visual wet dream.

Still loved it but felt the second half especially was tailored a bit too much to normies to lock down Messiah.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    didnt love Dune 2.

Yeah, Villeneuve has said things to the effect of how much more he cares about images and set design at the expense of story and dialogue.

Part 1 really seemed to tow the line and achieve both, this one was more like a Terrence Malick visual wet dream.

Still loved it but felt the second half especially was tailored a bit too much to normies to lock down Messiah.

thank you, this explains so, so much.

like honestly it makes sense now.

Thread Information