Page 314 of 946 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364414814 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 18919

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    wuhan reports 0 hospitalizations currently.

interesting!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

interesting!
    I stopped reading at "Wuhan reports."

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    That's great news.

The possibility of being able to get the virus multiple times is pretty disturbing.

Comments

OSA: Almost as disturbing as reading one of your posts. Almost

SPIT this: retard offset

dwai: retard offset offset

FRANKRIZZO: lol @ OSA

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

My benefit package & wages at my last job(non-union) was actually way better than this one but that was an oilpatch job so they are not really comparable. Still, my benefit package & job stability are the most important reason I took the job & I'm not saying I hate my job at all. I took well over a 50% paycut so I had a stable job close to home that had decent benefits. After working for 14 years away from home, money came 3rd in importance although I still make just decent money instead of obscene.

It actually amazes me how bad some worker's attitude about stuff is because this is my first union job. I've had discussions & had guys straight up admit they'd never make the money they're making with their level of education anywhere else close to home. I've also tried to impress on new hires how lucky they were to be working there but they don't listen & most of them are let go before their 3 month probation period ends because they treat the job like it's MacDonalds or something. It's pretty sad.

You're also correct about the safety thing. The union is good for insuring that & having your back.

As for OSA, I must be in a shitty union because we only get 2 paid 15 minute coffee breaks & only .5 hours for lunch, unpaid. We got these every place I've ever worked, union or not.
    Surprised to hear that you made more when working non union. Zero chance any non union ironworker here in the u.s is making more than local 1 ironworkers.

I have a seen a lot of guys start the apprenticeship and quit a week or two into it.
    It's tough work and in all honestly most people just can't handle that type of work.I never shamed anyone for quitting, it's hard and dangerous and some people just aren't cut out for that regardless of how much they are being paid. We worked in the heat and the cold and then on top of that you have the physical aspect + the health risks.
    As far as breaks go we get one 15 minute break in between start time and lunch but it would usually be 20 mins or so depending on who you're working for and what's going on that day.
    45 minute unpaid lunch.
    No holiday pay no sick days.

There are 100's of different contractors who are signatory with local 1 which is a good thing.
    Oil patch jobs tend to more dangerous AND require workers to live in godforsaken wilderness away from their families for extended periods of time. As such, it takes higher pay/better benefits to attract decent workers to make those sacrifices.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

My benefit package & wages at my last job(non-union) was actually way better than this one but that was an oilpatch job so they are not really comparable. Still, my benefit package & job stability are the most important reason I took the job & I'm not saying I hate my job at all. I took well over a 50% paycut so I had a stable job close to home that had decent benefits. After working for 14 years away from home, money came 3rd in importance although I still make just decent money instead of obscene.

It actually amazes me how bad some worker's attitude about stuff is because this is my first union job. I've had discussions & had guys straight up admit they'd never make the money they're making with their level of education anywhere else close to home. I've also tried to impress on new hires how lucky they were to be working there but they don't listen & most of them are let go before their 3 month probation period ends because they treat the job like it's MacDonalds or something. It's pretty sad.

You're also correct about the safety thing. The union is good for insuring that & having your back.

As for OSA, I must be in a shitty union because we only get 2 paid 15 minute coffee breaks & only .5 hours for lunch, unpaid. We got these every place I've ever worked, union or not.
    Surprised to hear that you made more when working non union. Zero chance any non union ironworker here in the u.s is making more than local 1 ironworkers.

I have a seen a lot of guys start the apprenticeship and quit a week or two into it.
    It's tough work and in all honestly most people just can't handle that type of work.I never shamed anyone for quitting, it's hard and dangerous and some people just aren't cut out for that regardless of how much they are being paid. We worked in the heat and the cold and then on top of that you have the physical aspect + the health risks.
    As far as breaks go we get one 15 minute break in between start time and lunch but it would usually be 20 mins or so depending on who you're working for and what's going on that day.
    45 minute unpaid lunch.

There are 100's of different contractors who are signatory with local 1 which is a good thing.
    You must have missed where I said the last job was in the oilfield.

I made a conscious decision to get out of the oilpatch & take a job a lot more stable that's not oil related.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

45 minute unpaid lunch.

You must have missed where I said the last job was in the oilfield.

I made a conscious decision to get out of the oilpatch & take a job a lot more stable that's not oil related.
    Looks like a smart move right about now.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    You must have missed where I said the last job was in the oilfield. I made a conscious decision to get out of the oilpatch & take a job a lot more stable that's not oil related.
    Looks like a smart move right about now.
    I'm okay with it although I could have fully retired if I had stayed & worked until now which would have been fairly likely if I had wanted.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Diamond
    Load Metric

interesting!
    That's great news.

The possibility of being able to get the virus multiple times is pretty disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

interesting!
    I stopped reading at "Wuhan reports."

small dick is on such massive tilt, look how ridiculous he looks next to PFA's newest libtard superstar

Comments

OSA: small dick is big idiot

Load Metric
    Hey, folks! Thank goodness that Trump’s appointees continue to do such a bang-up job emulating Trump in their effective response to the coronavirus crisis, amirite?

USDA let millions of pounds of food rot while food-bank demand soared
    State officials and growers say Trump’s Agriculture Department has been woefully slow to respond to farm crisis caused by coronavirus.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...e-usda-207215?

Comments

duped_samaritan: No such thing as a free meal.

Sanlmar: Saw that too. Disgusting
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Hey, folks! Thank goodness that Trump’s appointees continue to do such a bang-up job emulating Trump in their effective response to the coronavirus crisis, amirite?

USDA let millions of pounds of food rot while food-bank demand soared
    State officials and growers say Trump’s Agriculture Department has been woefully slow to respond to farm crisis caused by coronavirus.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...e-usda-207215?
    Vanity Fair
    November 2017
    Michael Lewis

Cliffs:
    No one shows up at the Dept of Agriculture from the Trump administration to transition from Obama. What was initially just stupidity has grown to have tremendous consequences.

I am guilty of just appreciating the Fifth Risk as an indictment of Trump but now I’m fucking angry.

Oh, yeah, find me Druff’s post where he dismisses much of the food lines as people just looking for free shit. An exercise in projection if there ever was one.

To prepare for the transition after the 2016 election the U.S.D.A.’s staff had created elaborate briefings for the incoming Trump administration. Their written material alone came to 2,300 pages, in 13 volumes. A lot of people who work in the Department of Agriculture grew up on or around farms. They like to think of the Department of Agriculture as a nice, down-to-earth bureaucracy. They consider themselves more bipartisan, and less ideological, than people at the other federal agencies. “Our plan was to be as hospitable as possible,” said one of the transition planners. “We made sure the office space was gorgeous.”

To make the Trump people feel at home the U.S.D.A. people had set aside the nicest rooms on the top floor of the nicest building, with the nicest view of the National Mall. They had fished out of storage the most beautiful photographs from the U.S.D.A.’s impressive collection and hung them on the walls. They had brought in computers and office supplies, and organized a bunch of new workstations. When they heard that Joel Leftwich, the guy Trump wanted to lead his U.S.D.A. transition team, had been a lobbyist for PepsiCo, they brought in a mini-fridge stocked with Pepsis. That was just the way they were at the U.S.D.A. They didn’t think: How the fuck can people paid to push sugary drinks on American kids be let anywhere near the federal department with the most influence on what American kids eat? Instead they thought: I hear he’s a nice guy!

No one showed up that first day after the election, or the next. This was strange: the day after he was elected, Obama had sent his people into the U.S.D.A., as had Bush. At the end of the second day the folks at the Department of Agriculture called the White House to ask what was going on. “The White House said they’d be here Monday,” recalled one. On Monday morning they worked themselves up all over again into a welcoming spirit. Again, no one showed. Not that entire week. On November 22, Leftwich made a cameo appearance for about an hour. “We had thought, Rural America is who got Trump elected, so he’ll have to make us a priority,” said the transition planner, “but then nothing happened.”

Comments

big dick: ride him like the donkey that he is

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Oh, yeah, find me Druff’s post where he dismisses much of the food lines as people just looking for free shit. An exercise in projection if there ever was one.
    I don't have to find you that post. I will say it again:

Even in times of non-crisis, Americans will stand in hours-long lines for free shit worth less than $100, and often worth less than $50.

Radio station promos for free/cheap gas are a good example, but there are many others.

It is impossible to infer anything from "omg look at this hours-long line to get a $30 free food voucher".

100% that line would be super long in November 2019, if this free $30 voucher was well publicized in the area. If you doubt this, you don't understand modern America.

It's also not projecting. I am 1000% against dumb shit like this. People will do it to get something free worth $30, but won't take a few minutes to comparison shop and save hundreds or thousands on a much larger purchase, and won't do the slightest bit of googling when some too-good-to-be-true scammy deal is advertised on the internet. Ultimate case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Comments

big dick: you really do suck

splitthis: Correct

Load Metric
    Name:  download.png
Views: 419
Size:  287.7 KB

Comments

dwai:

Walter Sobchak: Sad!

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I don't have to find you that post. I will say it again:

Even in times of non-crisis, Americans will stand in hours-long lines for free shit worth less than $100, and often worth less than $50.

Radio station promos for free/cheap gas are a good example, but there are many others.

It is impossible to infer anything from "omg look at this hours-long line to get a $30 free food voucher".

100% that line would be super long in November 2019, if this free $30 voucher was well publicized in the area. If you doubt this, you don't understand modern America.

It's also not projecting. I am 1000% against dumb shit like this. People will do it to get something free worth $30, but won't take a few minutes to comparison shop and save hundreds or thousands on a much larger purchase, and won't do the slightest bit of googling when some too-good-to-be-true scammy deal is advertised on the internet. Ultimate case of penny wise and pound foolish.
    Whenever they have store openings, or when Taco Bell gives out free tacos, there are big lines as well.

One might point out the ethnicity of said individuals, but one will pass.

Comments

blake: taking the high road

dwai: THEY'RE n-wordS

Load Metric
    The US will surpass 55k deaths today, but Trump, he is the real victim.

I don't get how anyone can say he is doing a good job when he has the most deaths of any country
    and/or that he works so hard that they are afraid he isn't eating enough. LOL.
    Even Tgull, w/all his health tips, has to laugh at that one.

Watching cable TV does not constitute working, and if he wasn't doing that, he wouldn't be tweeting this.

Comments

nightmarefish: Green for not posting about Fox News. Attaboy!
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    The latest round of antibody tests indicates nearly 1 in 4 NYC tests for the antibodies came back positive or 24.7%

Comments

nightmarefish: Encouraging
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The latest round of antibody tests indicates nearly 1 in 4 NYC tests for the antibodies came back positive or 24.7%
    Those damn germy New Yorkers! Don’t come to God’s country-in-the-Mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania)! ‘Cause the “real Americans” there are gonna quarantine yer ass for a fortnight. And I ain’t talkin’ about the online adventure game!

Name:  37F61C5D-C863-4EF3-853B-14967FE6AA59.jpeg
Views: 348
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  FF50A48B-7460-472E-BCB0-A22C796A6724.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  29.3 KB

Load Metric

i think NYC had the lowest amount of deaths in a while too

Load Metric
    So we shut down the entire US economy for 50,000 deaths when millions have no symptoms. That makes tremendous sense. We should have done the same thing in 2018 when the flu killed 80,000 in the US. In fact we should just close down everything for good. It's a God given right that everyone should live until 90.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    So we shut down the entire US economy for 50,000 deaths when millions have no symptoms. That makes tremendous sense. We should have done the same thing in 2018 when the flu killed 80,000 in the US. In fact we should just close down everything for good. It's a God given right that everyone should live until 90.
    Just be grateful for the job security you have that many of us don't.

People aren't going to all of a sudden decide to not shitting; in fact there's probably even more work to be had given the added strain on home plumbing.

Little gratitude. Ok?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    The lockdown is mostly a precaution to avoid people from getting and spreading the infection.

This is not the fucking flu.

The swine flu and H1N1 did not rise to the level of a pandemic because they were contained well before that and it was not in every single country.

Donald Trump had a chance to try and contain this but decided to do nothing instead.

It is Trump's fault that everything had to be shutdown.

His incompetence is beyond belief.

If you vote for Trump again, then you deserve to get the coronavirus.

Comments

big dick: all his fucking fault

Walter Sobchak: Tom the Dancing Bug rep

Thread Information