Page 118 of 947 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218618 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 18923

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Betsy Devos and Wilbur Ross p4p two of the worst appointments oat

Load Metric
    2nd member of congress just tested positive.

#spyputs

Comments

SPIT this: praying it's a republican
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

If everyone is suffering, why are landlords exempt from the economic impact?

I will negotiate with my property management as such.

You cant raise my rent for the next 3 years.

I will pay 50%(Can negotiate to 75%) of my rent till July 1st or when I head back to work fulltime. Whichever comes first.

Considering the alternative and the fact that my roommate skipped out to go back to OK without even telling me and that shvartzas wont be paying them period for months and months, with no recourse, I think they will agree to this.

Of course this will be in writing and notarized.
    Trump to suspend evictions, authorizes Defense Production Act to mobilize businesses to aid coronavirus response

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1162641

The law, enacted in 1950, allows the president to force American businesses to produce materials in the national defense, such as ventilators and medical supplies for health care workers.

Trump also said his administration is "suspending all foreclosures and evictions until the end of April" to help those affected by the virus.
    Why would anyone pay on their mortgage or pay rent right now? Especially if you are unemployed. If you have money, just set the money aside, just in case of emergency.

Problem is, when that 90 day ban is lifted, they are going to either want all the back rent plus penalties or they'll get your ass out. I want neither of that happening, hence why I was open to making a deal with them but some call me slimey.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Oh and NYSE is going to close on Monday since 2 have tested positive

Load Metric
    Oh and NYSE is going to close on Monday since 2 have tested positive
    *the trading floor

Load Metric
    Name:  ch_no_new_Loc.png
Views: 476
Size:  1.21 MB

Comments

JohnCommode: Great news if true. I simply don't believe the CCP without outside verification.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Best = Washington
    Worst is a lot harder....many many awful presidents...Buchanan, W Bush, Trump, Carter, Johnson..oof

Load Metric
    best news ive heard in a long time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Best = Washington
    Worst is a lot harder....many many awful presidents...Buchanan, W Bush, Trump, Carter, Johnson..oof
    haha its usually easier to go from worst to first

Load Metric
    lincoln, fdr, jfk, eisenhower

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    more like gayfgay. sorry, I prefer presidents that don't hard feed their first term

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

winner

Load Metric

winner
    Didn't FDR lead us through a prolonged depression? Total loser. I like presidents who make the stock market go up, not down.

Load Metric
    my list too just not in same order

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Trump briefing incoming...get ready...he will cure this thing (in his own mind). It's obvious to many that this was gonna happen:

WASHINGTON—The White House considered issuing an executive order greatly expanding the use of investigational drugs against the new coronavirus, but was met with objections from Food and Drug Administration scientists who warned it could pose unneeded risks to patients, according to a senior government official.

President Trump tweeted that he is planning a briefing Wednesday that will pertain to the FDA. It couldnÂ’t immediately be determined if that briefing would deal with expanded use of testing drugs against the virus.
    Trump has first briefing on this stuff earlier, here's where he basically starts his cure:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ronavirus-test

POINT 1: Self Swab test will be forced past trials and become the de facto type of test for this -- he's cutting the red tape and making it happen.

POINT 2: an "exciting" briefing, later today (or maybe tomorrow) will discuss other methods for combatting this disease in those who are severe cases.

YOU CAN EXPECT: UNTESTED FOR THIS PURPOSE "off label" use of HIV and flu drugs...to get 100% approval

Key words: Chloroquine (anti-malarial), Lopinavir/ritonavir (HIV) Kaletra (basically the last two drugs together)

Finally, don't be surprised if Trump announces the US has bought one or two experimental drug companies and will be using the untested drugs from each on severe cases with NO "testing", i.e. the testing will be done at the same time as being administered to humans. Oh, he won't say it like that. Later he will, when he's in full bravado form from this working though. This would be so unprecendented in medical history, and of course, it could work. This is like the coach that tries something wild with one play on the clock. Win now spectacularly or lose anyway.

So, it's already begun...wow that was fast...

https://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccine...erna-doses-1st

Meanwhile, amid growing numbers of infections in the U.S., the FDA has allowed a phase 1 study of Moderna’s mRNA vaccine without animal data. On Monday, the biotech said researchers at the National Institutes of Health dosed the first subject.

Kinda unprecendented, even Ebola Vaccine (which is now a thing because of the same kind of shortcuts) didn't go SO fast.

Comments

big dick: ,

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post

The restaurant analogy is an interesting one but does not take into account the massive public health issue that would be created if families and even single people are put out on the street. If this crisis lasts for many months or, god forbid, years, the economy will be so crippled that many millions will be unable to pay their rent. Mass evictions are not a viable option under these conditions.and would be a threat to public safety and could even cause the complete breakdown of law and order. Of course, some scumbags will attempt to game the system but public policy can not be made based on this fact. If this goes on for an extended period, I expect the federal government to prohibit both evictions and foreclosures to limit the movement of people and to keep landlords and homeowners from losing their properties. The federal government's first priority needs to be the ability to keep people in place. The feds may even take complete control of banks and mortgage providers. The waving of late fees might be helpful, but if it's an extended crisis, it will be closer to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    The problem is that the government is trying to turn landlords into funders of housing welfare. Not fair.

If da gubbmint is gonna make landlords hold onto freeloading renters (whether the freeloading is intentional or unintentional), then it should pay the landlords for this.

In many states, evictions take a long time. Right now in Los Angeles County, tenants have 6 months to pay rent before they can be evicted. This means someone who didn't pay their March 1 rent can't be evicted until September 1, and then it could take another several months for the eviction to go through -- especially with the court backlog at that point. It's not unrealistic that freeloaders could squeeze a year of free rent out of this.

As Trump would say, "Unfair!"
    In my lifetime, there has never been a more serious threat to national security than this crisis. This includes atomic espionage in the 1950's, the Cuban missile crisis, and 9/11. It's clear that unfairness will be an inevitable part of the government's response as it was during WWII. The idea of fairness to landlords simply doesn't matter as the government attempts to keep people from moving around and causing chaos by exacerbating the spread of the virus. Policies that promote "stay in place" stability are the only things that matter.

Comments

Krypt: someone who sees the bigger picture

sonatine: get ready for a heaping plate of BUt OBAmA

MumblesBadly: The Cuban Missile Crisis was far worse. Most people don’t know how close we came to nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

Load Metric
    I thought this article contained some really good info. It's nearly a week old but fascinating in regard to real infection rates.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The problem is that the government is trying to turn landlords into funders of housing welfare. Not fair.

If da gubbmint is gonna make landlords hold onto freeloading renters (whether the freeloading is intentional or unintentional), then it should pay the landlords for this.

In many states, evictions take a long time. Right now in Los Angeles County, tenants have 6 months to pay rent before they can be evicted. This means someone who didn't pay their March 1 rent can't be evicted until September 1, and then it could take another several months for the eviction to go through -- especially with the court backlog at that point. It's not unrealistic that freeloaders could squeeze a year of free rent out of this.

As Trump would say, "Unfair!"
    In my lifetime, there has never been a more serious threat to national security than this crisis. This includes atomic espionage in the 1950's, the Cuban missile crisis, and 9/11. It's clear that unfairness will be an inevitable part of the government's response as it was during WWII. The idea of fairness to landlords simply doesn't matter as the government attempts to keep people from moving around and causing chaos by exacerbating the spread of the virus. Policies that promote "stay in place" stability are the only things that matter.
    There are other ways to go about this.

I'm not denying that some emergency measures need to take place.

However, you can't just disproportionately stuff this on the backs of landlords and tell them to take one for the team.

If the government wants to prevent a homeless problem from worsening the infection, they should guarantee the rent payments themselves during this time, and then establish some sort of repayment plan for these people on the back-end when this is all over, with zero interest and generous terms. Something like that.

Telling landlords, "You're stuck with these people not paying you any rent for a year, and they won't suffer any consequence for doing so" is basically giving all landlords a huge kick in the nuts. The government needs to take responsibility if they are going to demand something burdensome like this, but it seems like they're not going to. It's just, "Let these people live for free, now eat shit", and that's that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Additionally, I am seeing that many people are resigned to the strategy of printing money as our way out of this economic mess.

I am horrified to see this.

Not just as a Jew who has dutifully saved money for all of my adult life, but also as an American who fears for the long term future of this country if we do this.

When has a country ever money-printed its way out of its problems? It leads to hyperinflation, which just compounds the problem, and the entire economic system collapses and remains a complete disaster zone for the long term. At best you escape from it with a major depression.

Laughably, the response to this concern is, "The money is going right back into the economy on goods and services", as if that will prevent hyperinflation from eventually taking hold.

It's not like we don't have countless other examples of countries that have tried this.

It seems that people are already giving up and throwing up their hands, without even considering other possible solutions to hold off economic collapse without resorting to money printing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    On the small bright side, the world may have luckboxed into a coronavirus drug earlier than expected.

An existing Japanese flu drug called favipiravir was found by Chinese officials to be "clearly effective" in speeding up recovery from the disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rus-says-china

However, it does look like you've got to catch it early for the drug to be effective. If the virus has already progressed to severe levels, it seems that the drug fails.

Still, if this is true, and if this can be produced quickly in mass quantities, people can take this drug quickly when they see symptoms, and it will bring down both the death rate and the infection rate.

Thread Information