Thread: Bootsy Collins technical consulting thread

Load Metric

Bootsy Collins technical consulting thread

Just to give you my background. I have been in the I.T. industry for over 10 years. I have worked independently and have worked in Fortune 500 companies. I currently work for one of the leading companies in the converged networking industry.

Feel free to ask any technical support questions or need advice on making any purchases in computing or networking equipment. Unfortunately I really don't have any experience in software or web development. My expertise is in infrastructure.

Comments

nunbeater:
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I need to back up my itunes on a dell. what do I need to do this? It's only about 16gb of music. computer is getting older and I'm scared it's going to crash. I guess the next question is what new computer should I start looking at? I'm really considering Apple. All I do is surf the net and listen to music. I'm starting to travel more and was thinking of something lite with good battery life. I have an iphone and wife uses an ipad so we are becoming familar with apple.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    I need to back up my itunes on a dell. what do I need to do this? It's only about 16gb of music. computer is getting older and I'm scared it's going to crash. I guess the next question is what new computer should I start looking at? I'm really considering Apple. All I do is surf the net and listen to music. I'm starting to travel more and was thinking of something lite with good battery life. I have an iphone and wife uses an ipad so we are becoming familar with apple.
    It is extremely easy to back up your ITunes library. You just need to put your "My Music-ITunes Library folder on a USB stick. A MacBook is a great choice as the quality of the laptop and it is light due to the aluminum based casing. The Mac OSX Lion is very easy to learn. Another cool feature is that you can literally import your existing Windows machine to the Mac using VMWare Fusion.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions.

Comments

nunbeater:
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 03-18-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    It is extremely easy to back up your ITunes library. You just need to put your "My Music-ITunes Library folder on a USB stick. A MacBook is a great choice as the quality of the laptop and it is light due to the aluminum based casing. The Mac OSX Lion is very easy to learn. Another cool feature is that you can literally import your existing Windows machine to the Mac using VMWare Fusion.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions.
    Thanks sounds easy enough.

Load Metric
    What's the best or ideal way to view network connections? See who or what is connected to my machine or perhaps the network entirely? I know netstat -a and a few variations and I can tell the ip addys connected (if any) but the rest of the info is something of a mystery to me. I typically compare the output there with ps ax or ps aux and what I see in activity monitor. I'm always wondering though, how can I be sure what I am looking at is genuine?

Perhaps include a copy and paste of a netstat -a printout and tell me what's what? I can pm you a few of mine but won't post openly for obvious reasons.

Do you have any advice on how to packet sniff my network? I have cocoa packet sniffer (or analyzer whatever it's called) as well as Wireshark and I can set the packet sniff up but really haven't the foggiest how to make sense of the data. Can you assist in that at all? I want to sniff the coming and going data of my mac as well as independently what is going on via my network overall. I also have Wifi Diagnostics though I don't typically trust OEM software for sensitive type projects.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    What's the best or ideal way to view network connections? See who or what is connected to my machine or perhaps the network entirely? I know netstat -a and a few variations and I can tell the ip addys connected (if any) but the rest of the info is something of a mystery to me. I typically compare the output there with ps ax or ps aux and what I see in activity monitor. I'm always wondering though, how can I be sure what I am looking at is genuine?

Perhaps include a copy and paste of a netstat -a printout and tell me what's what? I can pm you a few of mine but won't post openly for obvious reasons.

Do you have any advice on how to packet sniff my network? I have cocoa packet sniffer (or analyzer whatever it's called) as well as Wireshark and I can set the packet sniff up but really haven't the foggiest how to make sense of the data. Can you assist in that at all? I want to sniff the coming and going data of my mac as well as independently what is going on via my network overall. I also have Wifi Diagnostics though I don't typically trust OEM software for sensitive type projects.

Why are you using all that shit?

Can't you just log into your routers firmware?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post

I agree. We are dealing with a home network not an enterprise infrastructure. Are you using UVerse or Fios as a provider?

Comments

nunbeater:

Load Metric

Well the answer is-----I basically forgot the admin password. I know I can reset it, but I forgot how and quite frankly find the other stuff i am tinkering with a bit interesting. Well packet logging certainly isn't' but a lot of the rest is. Come to think of it, configuring firewalls and trying to look at chunks of output from a sniffer just bores me to tears.

No worries, now that I learned the proper application of tcpdump with outputs of netstat -a, lsof -i, ps auxx, rwsnoop, and a few others I have a nice handle on the comings and goings of just about anything and everything on my system. And Now I am finally almost happy. ALMOST. I am attempting to figure out how to get the fuck into my HPA on this laptop (for challenge and curiosity mostly, paranoia is persistent root kits partially) so that's the direction I have gone in.

Load Metric

Well the answer is-----I basically forgot the admin password. I know I can reset it, but I forgot how and quite frankly find the other stuff i am tinkering with a bit interesting. Well packet logging certainly isn't' but a lot of the rest is. Come to think of it, configuring firewalls and trying to look at chunks of output from a sniffer just bores me to tears.

No worries, now that I learned the proper application of tcpdump with outputs of netstat -a, lsof -i, ps auxx, rwsnoop, and a few others I have a nice handle on the comings and goings of just about anything and everything on my system. And Now I am finally almost happy. ALMOST. I am attempting to figure out how to get the fuck into my HPA on this laptop (for challenge and curiosity mostly, paranoia is persistent root kits partially) so that's the direction I have gone in.

Yeah, I'm all for playing around and experimenting. That's how you learn obv.

However, I wouldn't be running that all of the time. It's basically showing you what your routers firmware will (if it's a decent one, I imagine it is) but using more resources to do so. Plus, you really should know your password for your router anyway. A reset is usually done by inputting the serial number on the router on the firmware in a "forgot password" type deal, or by actually pressing the factory reset button on the router itself. It takes 5 minutes and one day when someone does try to piss all over your network, you'll be glad you did.

Like I said, I imagine your router wil prob be a decent one - if the firmware is anything like mine, you will be able to see every single device that has connected to your network (I mean really detailed shit), change wi-fi output signal strengh for whichever computer/device is connected to network, open/close certain ports for your network - pretty much everything you could need. I'm sure if you reset your password and had a fuck around for a little while, you would rely on 3rd party applications less and have much more of an idea if anything suspect is going on.

All good though, glad you are learning to fix these things yourself.

Load Metric

Yeah, I'm all for playing around and experimenting. That's how you learn obv.

However, I wouldn't be running that all of the time. It's basically showing you what your routers firmware will (if it's a decent one, I imagine it is) but using more resources to do so. Plus, you really should know your password for your router anyway. A reset is usually done by inputting the serial number on the router on the firmware in a "forgot password" type deal, or by actually pressing the factory reset button on the router itself. It takes 5 minutes and one day when someone does try to piss all over your network, you'll be glad you did.

Like I said, I imagine your router wil prob be a decent one - if the firmware is anything like mine, you will be able to see every single device that has connected to your network (I mean really detailed shit), change wi-fi output signal strengh for whichever computer/device is connected to network, open/close certain ports for your network - pretty much everything you could need. I'm sure if you reset your password and had a fuck around for a little while, you would rely on 3rd party applications less and have much more of an idea if anything suspect is going on.

All good though, glad you are learning to fix these things yourself.
    Yeah I really should re-config my router you are correct. Also the processes I mentioned are unix command line tools, not 3rd party. I have shit luck with 3rd party apps for some reason.

Load Metric
    I have a secure Wifi connection and every now and then when I start up my laptop it requires me to reconnect, re-enter the password. Is this normal? How can I maintain the connection with the laptop, without having to reconnect? Note: Router is new and when connected I always seem to have a great connection. Seems to happen a couple times a month.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshott74 View Post
    I have a secure Wifi connection and every now and then when I start up my laptop it requires me to reconnect, re-enter the password. Is this normal? How can I maintain the connection with the laptop, without having to reconnect? Note: Router is new and when connected I always seem to have a great connection. Seems to happen a couple times a month.
    Are you using Windows 7? If so this normally happens when you don't set your wireless connection to auto-connect.

Load Metric
    I had a bad ass youtube downloader that added a button right to the youtube page and shit was just downloaded no problem, it randomly disappeared and now ive got nothing... fix this or meet your doom

Load Metric
    Are you using Windows 7? If so this normally happens when you don't set your wireless connection to auto-connect.
    Bootsy - I am still using XP. However, I just checked the auto-connect and there were a number listed. Perhaps this is the issue, I deleted the one's from my previous router and an unsecure one that belongs to my neighbor that I logged onto when mine was down (perhaps this is interfering with my connection). I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the prompt on the auto-connect.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I had a bad ass youtube downloader that added a button right to the youtube page and shit was just downloaded no problem, it randomly disappeared and now ive got nothing... fix this or meet your doom
    Now Now. No need to intimidate me. Here is the link to download the youtube downloader that I prefer. Don't hurt me! I'm only little.
    http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Dow...-10647340.html

Load Metric
    Bootsy - Laptop started making a whirring kind of sound a couple weeks ago, it started and stopped. It's now making the noise all the time always while connected to the net now. I know it must be hardware related, but how longs it got doc or is it just a part needing replacement? It's a Dell Inspiron, a few years old now, purchased the last year XP was for sale.

PS.. The other assistance you provided earlier helped!

Load Metric
    Bootsy - Laptop started making a whirring kind of sound a couple weeks ago, it started and stopped. It's now making the noise all the time always while connected to the net now. I know it must be hardware related, but how longs it got doc or is it just a part needing replacement? It's a Dell Inspiron, a few years old now, purchased the last year XP was for sale.

A couple simple things to try.

1. Update the systems BIOS and update the hardware drivers from support.dell.com
    2. Geta can of compressed air and blow out where the cpu fan vents are.

Also how old is your system? You should also find that at support.dell.com

Load Metric

1. Update the systems BIOS and update the hardware drivers from support.dell.com

System is pretty old, I updated the BIOS and it didn't help. It's def the fan that's screwed, might be damaged from overheating. Pretty sure it overheats. I did the compressed air, and it didn't seem to help at all. I might try and replace the fan.

Thanks for the info though!
    Last edited by hotshott74; 05-25-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Load Metric

System is pretty old, I updated the BIOS and it didn't help. It's def the fan that's screwed, might be damaged from overheating. Pretty sure it overheats. I did the compressed air, and it didn't seem to help at all. I might try and replace the fan.

Thanks for the info though!
    IMO you are better off investing in a new PC.

Comments

nunbeater: get a new tower for like 200 bucks rep

Thread Information