Thread: Trick to quickly reach human IRS agent by phone

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Trick to quickly reach human IRS agent by phone

The IRS telephone hotline can be useful, but you go through maddening menus in an attempt to reach an IRS employee.

Here's a trick to get a human being on the phone at the IRS:

1) Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
     - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
     - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
     - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
     - Your prior-year tax return. They may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
     - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
     - Any letters or notices you were sent

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday (no matter which time zone you're in).

2) The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.

3) Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.

4) Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.

5) Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”

6) Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”

7) ** IMPORTANT ** When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.

8) Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. Then press 3 on the next menu.

The system should then transfer you to an agent at this point.

Load Metric
    uh yeah, you can just go to gethuman.com and do this for anything.

https://gethuman.com/phone-number/IRS

Comments

SetofKs: Good post. Didn't know this site existed, but often wished for it

Load Metric
    I answered these calls at the IRS for a year. Great training for becoming a lawyer. Here’s some advice for you all. Don’t ever cop an attitude with a federal civil servant. They got a union. Any “threat” you make is laughable. On the other hand, if you have your shit together (as Druff said) and are pleasant, they appreciate it. If you don’t like the agent you’re dealing with, hang up politely and recall. It’s extremely unlikely you will get the same person, and the quality of the agents vary. Some are newbies, others are career T-Men.

Load Metric
    Nobody on this forum is paying taxes, so I fail to see how this is relevant.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Nobody on this forum is paying taxes, so I fail to see how this is relevant.
    Druff dropped a dime on Negraneau

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    I answered these calls at the IRS for a year. Great training for becoming a lawyer. Here’s some advice for you all. Don’t ever cop an attitude with a federal civil servant. They got a union. Any “threat” you make is laughable. On the other hand, if you have your shit together (as Druff said) and are pleasant, they appreciate it. If you don’t like the agent you’re dealing with, hang up politely and recall. It’s extremely unlikely you will get the same person, and the quality of the agents vary. Some are newbies, others are career T-Men.
    Yeah other than the lolbad automated system, my experiences calling the IRS have always been good. I've always calmly and clearly explained the issue to them, and the I'm put on hold for awhile, and then they come back and it's usually resolved.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Yeah other than the lolbad automated system, my experiences calling the IRS have always been good. I've always calmly and clearly explained the issue to them, and the I'm put on hold for awhile, and then they come back and it's usually resolved.
    How are you so flawless at everything? You’re literally the envy of all white Middle Aged men.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Serious question, what are you calling the IRS about?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Serious question, what are you calling the IRS about?
    Top secret

Load Metric
    Back tax debt that you're trying to negotiate down. Got it.

Load Metric
    I just keep hitting 0 after 1 for english and always get some paki or malasia how can I be helping you.

Load Metric
    one other tip...call them using a cell or cordless phone...despite the shortcut, you can still have a wait long enough to fill a bladder--you don't want to be anchored to a land line while waiting for a call that may connect at any second as you suffer to hold your water...
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    one other tip...call them using a cell or cordless phone...despite the shortcut, you can still have a wait long enough to fill a bladder--you don't want to be anchored to a land line while waiting for a call that may connect at any second as you suffer to hold your water...
    Wut? What year is this

Comments

GrenadaRoger: 1994

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Wut? What year is this
    because of professional obligation to maintain confidentiality/protect client information my firm always used land lines to minimize listening in on phone conversations. And on days when I was the only one working that day and had to call the IRS to resolve a problem, I had some painful waits
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Thread Information