Thread: HOF Troll Alert: Rename 5th Ave between 56th & 57th street for Obama

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

HOF Troll Alert: Rename 5th Ave between 56th & 57th street for Obama

With nearly 300,000 signatures, there's a petition to rename 5th Ave in NYC between 56th & 57th Ave for a very famous recent president. The fact that Trump Tower would have a new address is of course purely coincidental. https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/re...ifth-avenue-in

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Load Metric
    Renaming a street in NYC is just symbolic. They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony but that's pretty much it. His address would still be 5th Avenue.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony
    Would a certain dignitary be in attendance?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Renaming a street in NYC is just symbolic. They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony but that's pretty much it. His address would still be 5th Avenue.
    I know little about NYC, but I was about to post something similar to this.

I couldn't imagine that major streets in NYC could simply be changed via petition. Changing a major street name has all kinds of impacts to the citizens and to local commerce.

There was one amusing street name change in my area in the '80s and '90s.

Compton Blvd stretched a long way east-west in southern California, between Redondo Beach and Bellflower. Once it reached Manhttan Beach, the final city to the west before the ocean, it was called "Marine Avenue" -- the original name of the street in that city dating back to around 1900.

In 1986, the city of Paramount, which is immediately east of Compton, changed their section of "Compton Blvd" to "Somerset Blvd". At the time, the excuse given by Paramount was that it was to give their city "its own identity" because too many people had confused it as being part of Compton. Of course, this was BS, and the main reason was because the city of Compton was increasingly known for its gang violence, and Paramount want to disassociate from it.

Then Eazy E and NWA hit the scene, releasing the controversial and successful "Straight Outta Compton" gangsta rap album in 1988. This made Compton into an international symbol of southern California poverty and gang violence.

This album had an immediate effect on the other cities still with "Compton Blvd", especially real estate near Compton Blvd, where prospective buyers would sometimes erroneously assume the properties to be in a bad neighborhood.

Just two months later, three cities proposed to change the name -- Hawthorne, Lawndale, and Gardena.

A few months after that, in 1989, the deed was done. Compton Blvd in those cities became "Marine Avenue", copying the name the street always had in Manhattan Beach. A tiny 1-mile stretch of Compton Blvd still existed in the area, in Redondo Beach. A year later, Redondo also changed the name to Marine.

It remains that way today.

Compton Blvd now only exists in Compton itself. It had previously run east-west from Redondo Beach to Gardena, at which point it ended, but there was a second segment of it in Compton and Paramount, barely reaching the border of Bellflower. Now all of it is either "Marine" or "Somerset" except for the segment in Compton.

I first started driving in early 1988, so I noticed the change and laughed about it. Even as a 16-year-old who didn't know the whole story, it was obvious to me why it was done.

Load Metric
    Still, Trump towers over Obama.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    And Obama did goad Trump into running with that blistering takedown at the annual White House Correspondents dinner four years earlier.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    And Obama did goad Trump into running with that blistering takedown at the annual White House Correspondents dinner four years earlier.
    You mean the "blistering takedown" which professional comedy writers wrote for him, right down to the mic drop?

Thread Information