Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention (eastern) Canucks: Sights to see in NB, PEI, NS?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Attention (eastern) Canucks: Sights to see in NB, PEI, NS?

Probably going to take a trip later this summer to New England and then drive into New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia. Will probably fly back from Halifax.

I visited PEI and NS briefly in 2015, when there were cruise stops there. I was also there in 1986 (along with NB), but it's so long ago that I don't remember much.

Haven't tried to research hotels yet, which may alter my plans if I can't get anything because of this late planning stage.

Would you Canadian gents be kind of enough to give me some suggestions of things to see in those 3 provinces?

Also, anyone who knows south & eastern Maine well, also feel free to chime in.

TY

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Probably going to take a trip later this summer to New England and then drive into New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia. Will probably fly back from Halifax.

I visited PEI and NS briefly in 2015, when there were cruise stops there. I was also there in 1986 (along with NB), but it's so long ago that I don't remember much.

Haven't tried to research hotels yet, which may alter my plans if I can't get anything because of this late planning stage.

Would you Canadian gents be kind of enough to give me some suggestions of things to see in those 3 provinces?

TY
    PEI: If you're going there from the mainland you can take the Confederation Bridge or ferry. You only pay the toll when leaving PEI. The ferry is quaint and relaxing but takes longer. The bridge looks cool as you approach it but just looks like a highway when you're on it. When in PEI go to Charlottetown and see the musical Anne of Green Gables if it's playing. Some nice little towns are Victoria-by-the-Sea and Cavendish. Lots of nice Bed and Breakfasts throughout the island near red sand beaches.

New Brunswick: You can afford to skip this province. The Acadian French area of Shediac in the northeast isn't bad but overall nothing noteworthy.

Nova Scotia: NS is split into the main peninsula and Cape Breton Island. Cape Breton is very nice, especially the Cabot Trail in the north. There is also the heritage fort of Louisbourg near Sydney which is a popular tourist attraction. In the main peninsula, check out the south coast west of Halifax where you can go to Peggy's Cove and nice little towns along the way. Lunenburg is a neat little place which I would recommend.

Load Metric
    Oak Island obviously.

Bluenose II in Lunenburg too.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

TY
    PEI: If you're going there from the mainland you can take the Confederation Bridge or ferry. You only pay the toll when leaving PEI. The ferry is quaint and relaxing but takes longer. The bridge looks cool as you approach it but just looks like a highway when you're on it. When in PEI go to Charlottetown and see the musical Anne of Green Gables if it's playing. Some nice little towns are Victoria-by-the-Sea and Cavendish. Lots of nice Bed and Breakfasts throughout the island near red sand beaches.

New Brunswick: You can afford to skip this province. The Acadian French area of Shediac in the northeast isn't bad but overall nothing noteworthy.

Nova Scotia: NS is split into the main peninsula and Cape Breton Island. Cape Breton is very nice, especially the Cabot Trail in the north. There is also the heritage fort of Louisbourg near Sydney which is a popular tourist attraction. In the main peninsula, check out the south coast west of Halifax where you can go to Peggy's Cove and nice little towns along the way. Lunenburg is a neat little place which I would recommend.
    Wait what? Skip New Brunswick?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Wait what? Skip New Brunswick?

I'll give you St. Andrews-by-the-Sea (haven't made it across to Grand Manan) but you can definitely skip Fredericton and Moncton. Especially Moncton. Terrible city.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Depending on dates, there might be some cool stuff going down in the city here. I'll dig around.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    How about the old Bricklin factory in New Brunswick?

Name:  96266C49-B96A-4B84-9A11-B2AD58089923.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  42.1 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: Was gonna suggest that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

I won't be skipping New Brunswick, but I agree that Moncton and Fredrickton are idiotic, and I won't be visiting them.

I am considering the southern part of the route limitles posted, and in fact will be coming in that direction, since I will go to that little town in Maine to see that weird ocean whirlpool.

I found that flying home will be a pain in the ass, and will probably involve Toronto and a layover. Flying there (into Boston) will be easy.

Load Metric

Kennebunkport is a really nice little town (not far from I-95). If you're passing by I highly recommend getting a lobster roll at The Clam Shack and walking around. If you have a few hours they also have lobster boats you can go out on.
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 06-14-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know you're not a golfer Druff but you could get a lesson for Benji while staying at the St. Andrews by-the-sea Marriot resort in N.B.

Name:  ysjak-exterior-0046-hor-feat.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  138.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Kennebunkport is a really nice little town (not far from I-95). If you're passing by I highly recommend getting a lobster roll at The Clam Shack and walking around. If you have a few hours they also have lobster boats you can go out on.
    That's planned, as well, as pretty much the first stop in Maine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

That's planned, as well, as pretty much the first stop in Maine.
    A trip report would be great. My grandparents lived there from 2002-2010. Have lots of good memories there.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Canada is rich with dicks

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Bringing your phone I assume? I'll fire you my digits at some point prior.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, Chaps, will have my phone. Gotta have PFA access in case someone cock bombs the site.

Will definitely contact you before I get there. Last time I was only there a few hours and tried to get a hold of you too late. This time I will be in NS longer.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so I have some questions. I have some various interests of things to do, but I'd like some help from anyone knowledgeable.

Nova Scotia

I have read that you can see a really dramatic tidal change (35 feet vertical!) at Hall's Harbour. This sounds cool, though it seems that the tide takes 6 hours to change. Is this true?

So obviously I won't want to sit there staring at it for 6 hours. I see that Blomidon Provincial Park is kinda nearby, and looks like an interesting place to walk around during super low tide. Also nearby Baxter's Harbour has a waterfall, I see.

Anything else to do in that area to occupy the time while the 6 hours pass? I could go down to Lunenburg but that's a lot of driving back and forth.

If I don't want to wait the 6 hours, will the tidal change be dramatic enough after 3 hours to be worth seeing?

Regarding Cape Breton, aside from the Cabot Trail, which I will definitely drive, are there any other must-sees in the area? Is Syndey worth visiting, or should I not bother detouring over there?

PEI

Suggested activities for PEI? Went there 4 years ago and it was very nice, but only had like 6 hours and had to go back to the cruise ship. If I have 1-2 days, what are some good things to do?

New Brunswick

I've read some people saying that Reversing Falls is underwhelming, and that I should stick to Hall's Harbour in NS instead. Do you agree? Like Hall's Harbour, it does seem like a pain in the ass to show up at low tide and come back 6 hours later at high tide.

Opinions of Fundy National Park? Are the Hopewell Rocks worth visiting?

I have an interest in the Fundy Trail Parkway. Best trails there 4 miles or less? (Ben will complain if it's longer than that.)

Maine

In Eastport, (right by the Canadian border in southeastern Maine), is it worth taking a boat tour out to see the Old Sow Whirlpool?

In Bar Harbor, I plan to go to Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. Any suggestions? Anyone been to the Asticou Azalea Garden? I'm told it's really nice and not crowded.

What about a lobster bake in Bar Harbor? Worth doing, or overrated tourist trap stuff?

Near Kennebunkport, has anyone gone to the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge? Did you see much wildlife?

Massachusetts

I'm considering taking a whale watching tour off Cape Cod, because these are famous and supposedly best over there.

Is it really that good, or is this just hype? Any company you recommend?

I'm planning some other things besides the ones listed above, but those are the questions I have.

Any help would be appreciated. TY

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh and I am looking a bit more and I am reading that your chances of seeing whales are actually better near Eastport, Maine where the Old Sow Whirpool is anyway.

So maybe I would be best avoiding Cape Cod and the crowds there, and just doing the whale watching in Maine. Anyone know about this?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Oh and I am looking a bit more and I am reading that your chances of seeing whales are actually better near Eastport, Maine where the Old Sow Whirpool is anyway.

So maybe I would be best avoiding Cape Cod and the crowds there, and just doing the whale watching in Maine. Anyone know about this?

I will be up in Maine late in the summer....weird to run into Druff randomly in Kennebunkport vs not even seeing him at the Rio during a LHE event a few years back when actively trying to find him.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My wife has the desire to see all 50 states in her lifetime so we are thinking NYC/NJ, Providence, Boston

Side trips to Philly and Kennebunkport.. just pass through the other NE states.

Sound like too much driving but those states are puny.

Thread Information