Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegas sportsbettor James Holzhauer killing it on Jeopardy

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post

In short, no.

If you watched the last game he got the DD immediately at $200 or $400 at the start of round 1. Not helpful at all since the game just started and he had $0, he did get it right and that gave him $1000.

Also in terms of DD located in higher amounts in second round is not rare at all. James starts at the bottom in round 2 and he does that to build the bank roll prior to getting the DD which is counter to your theory.

Again, in short, no.

Here is a cool link of a guy who tracks the stats of James vs Ken through the whole first 22 games. There is no doubt James is simply better in each and every way. He gets more right, bets larger and only has I think 7 or 8 more DD hits than Ken had through the first 22 games. Check it out, guy is just dominating.

STATS THROUGH FIRST 22 GAMES VS KEN JENNINGS

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/j...omparison.html

Dude wtf are you talking about you can't be serious here he pulled the daily double on the latest episode first question taking Literature for $1000 like he starts off the right to the top amounts?

Very rarely do they go in the 2nd amount ($400 or $800) but someone show me a video clip to prove to me they do come up in the $200 top question in round 1 because I can't tell you I've ever seen it. I won't say it's never happened not watching every day but I need some video proof here.

Obviously James stats are better then Ken's nobody is denying that. The one thing we can say about Ken is he played when the amounts were $100 to $500 and $200 to $1000 so he didn't have the same ability to get to these ridiculous numbers that James can.

Whenever Ken came back for tournament of champions he basically looked like shit compared to his long 74 days on the show.
    Found this from last year, you do have a point, they tend to be at $1600 more so statistically than elsewhere. However based on this find below they are located at the top as well but very very rare. Haven't found a diagram for round 1 yet.

http://digg.com/2018/joepardy-daily-...ability-mapped

I am not sure statistically though if James is actually finding that many more DD's than the average championship run we see. Over the first 22 games he found 7 or 8 more than Ken, which is higher but... we have to factor in his rate of correct answers is higher than Ken which means he picks again more so thus more DD finds. It is NOT enough to find a DD on its own, the amount you wager is a huge factor obviously as well.

Looking at past DD wager/win ratios is fun too.

Bottom line, guy is a machine with the buzzer has a great strategy and without the knowledge wouldn't be able to pick and find the DD's before the other contestants, end of story.
    Last edited by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece; 05-04-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

Dude wtf are you talking about you can't be serious here he pulled the daily double on the latest episode first question taking Literature for $1000 like he starts off the right to the top amounts?

Very rarely do they go in the 2nd amount ($400 or $800) but someone show me a video clip to prove to me they do come up in the $200 top question in round 1 because I can't tell you I've ever seen it. I won't say it's never happened not watching every day but I need some video proof here.

Obviously James stats are better then Ken's nobody is denying that. The one thing we can say about Ken is he played when the amounts were $100 to $500 and $200 to $1000 so he didn't have the same ability to get to these ridiculous numbers that James can.

Whenever Ken came back for tournament of champions he basically looked like shit compared to his long 74 days on the show.
    Found this from last year, you do have a point, they tend to be at $1600 more so statistically than elsewhere. However based on this find below they are located at the top as well but very very rare. Haven't found a diagram for round 1 yet.

http://digg.com/2018/joepardy-daily-...ability-mapped

I am not sure statistically though if James is actually finding that many more DD's than the average championship run we see. Over the first 22 games he found 7 or 8 more than Ken, which is higher but... we have to factor in his rate of correct answers is higher than Ken which means he picks again more so thus more DD finds. It is NOT enough to find a DD on its own, the amount you wager is a huge factor obviously as well.

Looking at past DD wager/win ratios is fun too.

Bottom line, guy is a machine with the buzzer has a great strategy and without the knowledge wouldn't be able to pick and find the DD's before the other contestants, end of story.
    Interesting stats. I would have confidently bet that no daily double has ever appeared on the top row.

Another benefit to jumping around the bottom of the board is it puts a lot more pressure on his opponents, who are each playing their first ever game.

Name:  3539f5e54e074e3acb7edc7780323e40.png
Views: 880
Size:  293.1 KB

Load Metric
    James did fangraphs baseball podcast, maybe he'll do PFA radio as well.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectiv...-sabermetrics/

It's a pretty good listen.

Comments

Sanlmar: Thx good take.

Load Metric
    Trebek will die before this guy loses.

Comments

duped_samaritan: Rooting for James but hope you're wrong
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Trebek will die before this guy loses.
    I record it every day but just can’t watch. Love the kid and the story but hate the show and Trebek.

Is this show toast now that JeopardyJames has given the world his playbook and Trebek dies?

Load Metric
    Name:  0edb0780f73278c549c12e05b7751b98.png
Views: 677
Size:  145.3 KB

Load Metric

Robin seems so pleasant and not salty.

At least she came close:

Name:  afdfa123a8d61733763bb9e86583b113.png
Views: 664
Size:  221.6 KB

Comments

BCR:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

At least she came close:

The trail of tears from the jeopardy purists he’s dispatched is absolutely glorious. If I ever fall into a clinical depression watching them on loop would likely trump any ssri.

Not a shock the only guy who gave him some run doesn’t seem salty at all and just tips the cap

Comments

Sanlmar: Glorious Post
    Last edited by BCR; 05-21-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    oh no the flowers are whining that he's going out and trying to absolute annihilate everybody in his path...

seriously what the fuck is wrong with people?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

At least she came close:

She is way off based here obviously being very bitter in claiming he don't have respect for the game.

With James taking a lot of time to study material, the game play itself, and to come up with betting strategy that is GTO (I hate that term btw) he's showing the game a ton of respect by trying his hardest to master every part of it.

The only way he loses will be to someone who is very smart, has the buzzer technique down, and risks it big on the daily doubles. The person will have to be ahead of him going into final jeopardy and bet accordingly which likely will be everything and get it right in order to win especially since James has only missed one of 22 final jeopardy questions.

https://www.wired.com/story/james-ho...atness-charts/

It’s not just that Holzhauer gets so many questions right. He’s also very rarely wrong, an important distinction to make, since ringing in with an incorrect response in Jeopardy! docks you points. In addition to hitting 97 percent of buzz-ins overall, Holzhauer has correctly answered 49 out of 53 Daily Doubles and whiffed on only one of his 22 Final Jeopardy clues. At this same point in his streak, Jennings was at 94 percent overall but had missed six Daily Doubles and seven Final Jeopardy rounds.

Load Metric
    Todays results:

Name:  aa061db928fbc23c825055842efa4b2a.png
Views: 586
Size:  190.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It was an interesting game today.

Load Metric
    Yesterday:
    Name:  fe1af4245773f61f9bf2b763517bd4e2.png
Views: 506
Size:  152.9 KB

Today:
    Name:  583d83fcd1bc8c6c86dfff18a2e28573.png
Views: 450
Size:  146.3 KB

Load Metric
    They film 5 a day?

If so, the kid is banking close to a half mil a day.

Repeatedly

There are no swings.

With almost certain knowledge it will never end.

How does that not rattle a person.

He is truly interesting in that he has remained self deprecating in the face of the idiot Jeopardy lovers who have thrown shade.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    They film 5 a day?

Repeatedly

There are no swings.

He is truly interesting in that he has remained self deprecating in the face of the idiot Jeopardy lovers who have thrown shade.

5 a day, once a week.

I think the shows air on a 6-8 week lag and there will be a couple months off for the summer. And Trebek will probably die or get too sick to do any shows after the beak.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    They film 5 a day?

Repeatedly

There are no swings.

5 a day, once a week.

I think the shows air on a 6-8 week lag and there will be a couple months off for the summer. And Trebek will probably die or get too sick to do any shows after the beak.
    That’s interesting. He has been semi public. If you were to read him you would say he’s feeling pretty good about life. He must still be live.

He’s living 6 weeks in the future and he saying stuff like, “it was always his hope to get a job in the MLB and ruin baseball. He’ll have to settle for ruining Jeopardy”.

That was his funny response to the haters

So I take a second to look for his exact tweet or quote. I stumble on this.

Jeopardy!” Champ James Holzhauer Catches Interest Of MLB Teams
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james...b0db2524b7237f

Look out Harolobob.

Great story.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Today was a day if the other dude in the middle that finished in the red at the end of the game didn't pull both daily doubles in double jeopardy and James got them instead he could have beat his own record.

It's all what if's but one thing is for sure that 130k+ will be hard to top even for James. This will require the near perfect game with the daily doubles pulled in great times (after 10 or 15 questions off the board) and his opponents to have practically nothing going into final where James can bet almost all of an already huge amount.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He was a former 2+2 poster named "crockpot".

Here's a 2008 thread where people asked him questions: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/4...ockpot-363692/

He refers to "bugstud" in one of his posts. That's Jameson Painter, who is primarily a limit holdem player (especially back in the 2008 days). That made me think Holzhauer was also probably a limit holdem guy, but later in the thread he refers to playing 5/10 (NL), so probably not.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In 2012, he also posted to a Jeopardy thread asking how to get selected for the show: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/s...postcount=2553

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Apparently James is buddies with Andrew Barber, poker SJW and somehow likable guest on PFA Radio despite that:

Thread Information